Sign in to follow this  
Guest artl

Patch 240 crashes to desktop when using teleport (info)

Guest andrewluck

An interesting one this, that I'm posting on the off-chance that someone else has the same problem.Trying to teleport or using the View button with another aircraft's details selected resulted in my looking at the Windows desktop every time.Some detective work revealed that this was down to a modified geograph.pod file. I'd updated this file some time ago when updating navaids to the latest AIRAC cycle. Restoring the original file fixes this problem.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest DSandberg

Good detective work. It's starting to sound like:[ol][li]Things like this and the METAR crash are going to be common problems when installing 240, and probably deserve some FAQ coverage[li]A few add-ons out there may need to be revised in order to be used with 240.[/ol]- David Sandberg (Fly II beta team member, and creator of InfoMETAR)

Guest ben_

Andrew and DavidI too had a CTD problem immediately after patching 230 to 240 whenthe first thing I did was to teleport to Ketchikan AL, slew a bit then while in slew mode turn to the mountains and have a look.I repeated the process with the same result.NEXT time I decided to go through the inbuilt Flight Planner, searched for Ketchikan as Departure arrival airports, exited the flight planner. I then repeated my original slew attempt without any problem then or since.Perhaps Flight Planner initializes something after the patch?Ben

Guest artl

This is "sort of" reproducable. I CTD when I teleport through the flighplanner, but when no Departure airport has been selected.If a departure airport is selected FIRST, then the teleport seems to work.Art.

Guest artl

After some more testing, it looks like teleporting is definitely broken. However, I have always been able to teleport, if I do it via the Flightplanner, but make sure to set the departure and arrival airports first. Then I can teleport to the departure airport no problem.Art.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Art:Do you happen to have a TELEPORT.WIN file in your UITemplates folder? If so, delete it or rename it to TELEPORT.WAN and try again using the Aircraft > Teleport menu.Please, let us know what happened.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest artl

>Art: >>Do you happen to have a TELEPORT.WIN file in your >UITemplates folder? No... Six .win files there, but no TELEPORTArt.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Art:Can you at least open the Aircraft > Teleport window?If so, are the units in h, m, s or d, m, s?Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest artl

>Art: >>Can you at least open the Aircraft > Teleport window? >>If so, are the units in h, m, s or d, m, s? >>>Oh, yes. DMS. I then press "directory" button, do a search for the airport I want, select it from the list (if more than 1), and click "teleport". The teleport happens to the new airport, I am looking out the windshield and a few seconds later I am looking at desktop. If I actually click on the windshield before CTD, it will happen on the click.Art.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Art:Please provide the following info:- Your render.ini- Are you using Antialiasing- Are you using Anisotropic Filtering- Airport you are trying to teleport to- Is there any custom or FSI-converted scenery where you're teleporting toYou've got a GeForce 4 Ti200 128Mb, right?Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest artl

It would appear that the combination of custom scenery and anisotropic filtering is at least part of the problem....>Art:>>Please provide the following info:>>- Your render.ini>I was a newcomer to FLY in October.The following sort of "evolved" and there is a lot of stuff in there that probably doesn't make sense, but seems to do no harm.I could never find out what AGP and NONAGP did, and I was tryingjunk in there to see if it made any differences.===========================[Graphics]mipLevelCount=4vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=1directTextureFlag=0[Textures]maxTextures32=8maxTextures32_565=4mipMapFlag=0maxTextures64=16maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=64maxTextures128_565=999maxTextures256=164maxTextures256_565=172maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=10maxTextures1024=3[NonAGP]maxTextures256_565=0[AGP]maxTextures32=8maxTextures32_565=4maxTextures64=96maxTextures64_565=32maxTextures128=128maxTextures128_565=256maxTextures256=128maxTextures256_565=999maxTextures512=16maxTextures512_565=16maxTextures1024=12========================================>- Are you using AntialiasingQUINCUNX. Removing it does not seem to matter.>- Are you using Anisotropic Filtering8x. I tried removing it this morning, and it DOES seem to solve the problem.>- Airport you are trying to teleport to>- Is there any custom or FSI-converted scenery where you're teleporting toCYKZ... YESLast night I was fairly sure that the other airports that I was testing(KFSO, KPHX) were doing the same, but I cannot reproduce that this morning. But CYKZ is consistent, and I do have customscenery (from the avsim library) for that airport.- You've got a GeForce 4 Ti200 128Mb, right?yes: TI4200 128mbArt.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Art:You DEFINIYELY have a problem with your render.iniFirst of all, you have duplicate entries in maxTextures, remove any duplicates. Also, you have a 999 entry on both 128 and 256 textures, this is not right. Secondly, you have WAY too many texture slots for 1024 (under normal circumstances you really need just 1, maybe 2 at most unless you rendered FS scenery with FSI using 1024 textures).I would recommend a more conservative render.ini as follows (you'll have to replace the parenthesis with brackets otherwise they get deleted because of the HTML code):===========================(Graphics)mipLevelCount=4vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0(Textures)maxTextures32=15maxTextures64=96maxTextures64_565=32maxTextures128=128maxTextures128_565=999maxTextures256=50maxTextures256_565=140maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=5maxTextures1024=2(NonAGP)maxTextures256_565=0(AGP)maxTextures256_256=0========================================Then go to the "heaviest" airport and press the TAB key twice until it shows the texture slots being used and compare what the Unique Hits against the Slots Allocated line. If you see that your FPS drop significantly, look in that direction, take a screenshot, convert it to JPG and post it here.You may also want to download Memcalc from the File Library. It walks you through the process of tweaking your render.iniGood luck!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest artl

>>You DEFINIYELY have a problem with your render.ini>Sorry... I forgot that square brackets will be killed by the post, and so you did not see each section heading..There are no duplicates in each section. I repeat the render.ini at the bottom with () instead of square... and I have been through all the "max hits" thing to get to what I got. FPS are not a problem. I don't believe that has anything to do with the teleport problem at hand.===============================================================There are lots of other things at work here: 1. There is a problem with the "directory/flightplanner" functions per se. If you try to do a search for "navaids" for state=ALASKA, for example, you will find 138 entries (which is probably the right number) but they are all over the US. ELY NEVADA is there, and BRW (Point Barrow) ALASKA is not. Although this does not appear to happen for "airports" (at least initially), I could get "airports" into such a similar state if I played long enough (not very reproducable). This may or may not have some corrupting influence on why I seem to get a different result with teleporting, when a flight-plan origination/destination are selected, and when they are not.2. I was also getting different results whether the engine was running or not while teleporting. A successful teleport is more likely with the engine OFF.3. Also, after I DID manage to get to CYKZ and got a flight going, I exit FLY2 (on purpose) in mid flight. When I try to restart, FLY2 "loads" to about the 50% level and exits quietly. For the hell of it, I just kept trying to restart over and over again. At about the 6th try, it completed the load and started the flight from autosave.sit, just like I left it, as if nothing had happened. THIS behaviour IS reproducable. Again, I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but there is always AI aircraft on the radio at every successful restart.I am of an opinion that some corruptions are occurring within the "directory/teleport" functions randomly, either depending on the exact sequence of events, and/or unforeseen interactions of different program threads.Art.============(Graphics)mipLevelCount=4vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=1directTextureFlag=0(Textures)maxTextures32=8maxTextures32_565=4mipMapFlag=0maxTextures64=16maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=64maxTextures128_565=999maxTextures256=164maxTextures256_565=172maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=10maxTextures1024=3(NonAGP)maxTextures256_565=0(AGP)maxTextures32=8maxTextures32_565=4maxTextures64=96maxTextures64_565=32maxTextures128=128maxTextures128_565=256maxTextures256=128maxTextures256_565=999maxTextures512=16maxTextures512_565=16maxTextures1024=12(The "slots allotted" that show up on the debug screen tab-tab, match the "textures" section allocation. FPS are not a problem except maybe when the SFO bridges are in the view, and Rich's explanation... in a post about multiple models just a month or so ago... seems to apply there. I have never found out what AGP and nonAGP sections are used for.... I was just playing with them and seems to have no detrimental effect.)==============================

Guest Fly II Pilot

Art:Well, what can I say. I'm using a 64Mb card and haven't had any problems with teleporting at all. You have a card that has twice the amount of memory but you do have a problem. Obviously there's something wrong with your configuration. If you think your RENDER.INI file is fine then keep on using it.I think it's not right and that what's happening is that you're running out of certain memory slots when models start loading at the area where you teleported to. It's happened to me before and it's not a teleport problem, it's a video memory problem. Your render.ini file has way too many 1024x1024 slots which take up quite a bit of memory that cannot be released. Also, you've got things mixed up (I think) with the (Textures), (NonAGP) and (AGP) sections. I've never seen more than one entry under (NonAGP) and (AGP).Here's my suggestion: try with the render.ini I posted for a while and let me know if you're still having those problems. If so then we can move on and look somewhere else. It's a waste of time to start trying to troubleshoot with a render.ini file like yours.Just my 2 cents.Regards,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest artl

I just tried your exact render.ini.It does improve my FPS around the SFO bridges. I am going to have to analyze it a bit to see why that might be... because I didn't have any max-hits exceeding allocation before, either. I haven't yet checked what it might do with night lights, clouds, etc.Teleport failure (and the startup failure that I described earlier) still occurs with that new render.ini. After 4 or 5 straight failures (teleporting from the default KSFO to CYKZ), I selected CYKZ as the departure/destination airport in flightplanner, and the teleport succeeded. Art.