Sign in to follow this  
boyho1

Return to Fly! 2

Hi guysLike a few others, seeing the latest patch from the talented and courageous Richard Harvey I have reinstalled Fly!2. I have a new rig and this was another reason for giving it a fresh try. I am pleased with the results that I am getting but occasionally come across the odd item that I remember being an irritant in my original efforts.One is the apparent inability to get one's aircraft in the correct position on the map (keypress m). I was wondering if in the intervening period, someone out there has managed to produce a fix or a workaround for this small glitch.I was a tremendous fan of the original Fly! and I am again experiencing the thrill of the magnificent cockpits and wing shots that this sim has. I have not found better in any other sim.

Guest Dean

As far as location on the vector map, that was fixed a while back. The only problem I've noticed on the regular map is that sometimes the A/C doesn't appear at all. Toggling the M key again usually makes it appear. Dean

Guest chezz

Hi Frank,Rob Westhouse has uploaded a map/chart fix/patches, you can check it at the Avsim's library.Happy holidays.chris rpll

Guest Dean

I had a chance to check this out a little more. I teleported to PHL, EWR, JFK, DFW, DAL, SFO and LAX. The A/C was properly located on the map at all locations except SFO and LAX so I'm not sure what is up with that. The fix mentioned above might correct this, I just hope it doesn't affect the maps that are now right. It looks like one of the bugs in the vector map we noted during beta is still there but easy enough to work around. You have to toggle the icons on and off twice to get the taxiways (with A/C location) to appear in the vector map. Dean

Frank (et al)I seem to remember an older forum question on the vector map-taxiways issue addressed by Dean and an alternative workaround is to toggle "show airports" on/off in the airports drop down menu. Of course, either of these workarounds assume you have zoomed in close enough to show airport taxiways and runways. The only reason I mention this alternative method is that I have experienced problems when flying PMDG's 757 and toggling the vector map on/off/on where the zoom will default back to max. zoom out. (I miss the zoom factor ID in the Fly2K map)As far as your original question re:regular map, "m" key, the file chartpatch2.zip dated 1/2/02 by Rob Westhouse in category Fly! II patches, fixes a majority of the a/c map location issues, however there will still be some problems as referenced in RW's "Readmepatch.txt" file.Happy FlyingRobert

Guest Dean

I noticed last night that if you just toggle the vector map itself on and off, the taxiways will also appear. Provided you are close enough and have "use icons" de-selected. I like to use the vector map to start my taxi to the active runway when ATC will not give me permission to taxi because of an AI A/C. For me, the Vector map is far more inportant than the regular map so I can live with the few problems the regular map has.

Thanks guys for the helpful pointers. I visited Rob Westhouse's section on this site and d/l his "fix" for the maps. I have as yet only done San Fran North and South because this is where I am presently exploring and the fix has worked. I have not yet noticed a problem with the vector maps!!!