Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dean

Problems

Hey Guys,My uncle picked me up a copy of Fly! II and I was really looking foward to playing it. I thought that my system was going to easily handle it, but apparently not,Im getting blurred graphics, horrible frame rate (less than 10) ...am I missing something? Or is it that im used to constant 40+ frames in MSFS (sorry, I know, I know...) Im seeing all these great images of this game, but im very disappointed with how mine looks.. :(My specs are:AMD Athlon XP 2100+1.74 GHz512mb DDR RAMGeforce 4 Ti4200Windows XPAny Help Is Greatly Appreciated!and Happy Holidays!

Hi Jason, Welcome to the Fly! world! I will assume you are talking of your problems from loading the software right from the box, and no updates loaded in. If this is in fact, the case - then one of the great things here is the amount of information we have. I would first ask you to go the top of this forum and have a look through the First Time Fly!er's section. You need to get the patches, but also be careful to back up the items mentioned in the read-me files. I have the same video card as you, and I am patched to the 2.5.240 final patch. Once I get home from work I will post my render.ini file for you to try. All patches are located in the Fly! II Patches directory in the AVSIM Library. I would recommend holding off on the Globe update for the time being.Do let us know to what version you are patched to. If there is anything else we can help with, just "holler" ;)Cheers,Ken WoodCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

IMO---- at low altitudes, or ground level, FLYII will never look as good as FS2002. But higher up, it can look better with a few add-ons. The FLY panels themselves usually have a "crisper" detailed look than MSFS, but seldom do I ever get the exteriors looking as good as FS2002. I still have a few fps problems myself. Usually in airport enviroments at ground level.L.AdamsonAthlon 1900XPWindows XP

Guest tonyc

With this system , you'll be up and running with smooth and fast graphics. Here's my render.ini. I'am assuming that you've installed all the patches according to the instructions in the first few lines of the FLY forum. Let us know how it goes.tony

Hey Guys,Thanks for the quick responses first off! Ok lets read off my list...Straight after installation, I installed all the patches (including newest one, and excluding the "globe" patch)After that I started off looking for addons (mainly to make sim look better), but decided to wait a while and get some help to see exactly what each of these addons do (eg. skies, clouds, etc) I was hoping the directory was semi-similar to MSFS' , and really only found that the /Aircraft folder was the same. LAdamson, I've quickly noticed exactly what you've said, Ive only flown out of the defualt airport, KSFO(?) I really couldnt figure it out, even with the charts out...*looks around for my flight instructor* (Hopefully He Didnt see that!) Tony, there no file in the post, and the .jpg is a dead link :(Just a few questions:-What are the best cloud packs to downloads? (If any, or default are best)-How do you install downloaded aircraft. (Ive search for instructions but cant find them, nonetheless)-Is there a way besides the ".POD" to edit aircraft files? (eg. panel, sound, texture ,etc)Ive also attached an image showing what my graphics look like from cockpit, sorry not best shot, I was in a hurry ...Thanks for being supportive, so fast! :DThanks in advance! :-waveHappy Holidays,

Hi Jason, Okay, least I am home and can also send my render.ini file from the Fly! II system folder.As to your questions:-What are the best cloud packs to downloads? (If any, or default are best) Jure's clouds are the best - CBMAM, et al. If it has Jure's name on it, you can bet its worth downloading. The Blue Skies file is one of the best out there. Check that one out.-How do you install downloaded aircraft. (Ive search for instructions but cant find them, nonetheless)If they are repaints, you must have the original aircraft installed. Say you want the Delta 727. You have to have the Sun Country 727 first, or the repaint won't work. All you need to do is put the .pod file in the Aircraft folder. *Most* of the zipfiles have good read-me files to inform one of proper installation. -Is there a way besides the ".POD" to edit aircraft files? (eg. panel, sound, texture ,etc)Well, you have to UNPOD the aircraft's POD file, then go to the folders that they were extracted to before you can edit anything. Unfortunately, editing the files is not for the faint of heart! Although Fly! II has a wonderful aspect of a mostly open architecture, there is a hefty learning curve to editing aircraft files (much less building 3d models for scenery!).For painting questions, you can ask MacPaint (aka Pete Sterling) about how that works (yo, Pete! :-) ). Roger M. has done some really great repaints as well.If you are interested, some of the best freeware planes come from ROTW team (French team). They are at www.simvol.org/fly/ . It is all on French, but worth checking out!Just let us know if there is anything more we can do. Your posted pic looks about right, save for the "jaggies" on the mountains in the distance. Do you have FSAA turned on on your card?Cheers! :-waveKen WoodCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest slydon

I have compared Ken's and Tony's ini. files and they are completely different. How can that be? Do you change these numbers yourself? If you do I don't see how you know what numbers to put in. And, how can both of these sims work properly when they are so different? I guess I just don't understand ini files probably. Don

Guest tonyc

I am running FLY2 with a g3ti200 128meg and an amd xp2000+ . I will provide you with some pictures, especially ones with complex scenery and weather, to show you fps as well as graphics clarity.tony

Thanks for all your help, mostly everything is pretty much understood now. I downloaded the PA-28 Warrior from the ROTW team, but theres no .POD file in the zip file. So, is there another way of installing aircraft?Thanks in advance! :)

Just unzip all *.epd files in your aircraft folder!Fred38ROTW

Hi, What I did was unpodded the EPDs and then put them all in one pod.. that is possible...If you need help, just ask.cheers

Guest slydon

bump. No one has answered my question about the ini files yet. I am really curious about that.

Guest Dean

People well versed in FlyII will tweak their render.ini to maximize frame rates depending on their particular needs. Truthfully, if you're using default scenery without any FSimports converted scenery or TS2 scenery the default render.ini you have from the latest patch is probably good enough. The numbers in the render.ini determine how many slots are allocated on the video card to hold the textures. So depending on the type of scenery, some tweaking of certain slots may be in order. I haven't seen the two files you mention but the differences shouldn't be too dramatic. To better understand the texture slot needs, hit tab twice and you'll seen a bunch of numbers that will probably cause your eyes to glaze over.:-) The number in "unique hits" should not exceed the number in "slots allocated". If it does, you'll have a significant drop in frame rates so you bump the slots allocated for that texture up by say 10 or so. Altering the render.ini from default is largely trial and error and is more or less dictated by the scenery you fly in. Texture slots use up video memory so it is easy to go overboard in allocating too much video memory to texture slots. Anti-aliasing and anisiotropic filtering both use a considerable amount of video memory so it's important that you have enough "free" memory on the card for these functions, if you use them. There is a utility in the file library called Tweak kit for Fly II. This is a good place to start before making changes to your render file.Dean Karis

Guest slydon

Okay thanks Dean for the explantion. I appreciate it. I am always curious about these things and try to learn something new all the time. Your explantion was clear and I understand now. Thanks again. Don

Guest Dean

>I am always curious about these things and try to learn something >new all the time. Me too. That's why I always visit the forums here. Dean Karis