Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Fly2 install data file error CAB file.

Installed Fly 2 European release.After inserting Disc2 got window with WinZip data 2 File 646,298kb.Tried to extract it and got message.'Winzip cannot open D.data 2.cab because it is not in the standard Microsoft CAB format ( as defined in mid-1998 ). The "signature bytes" required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing.What is the significance of this as I was able to patch up to 240 with no further error messages but have not tried to run Fly 2.P4 WinXP Home.Thanks for any help.Flyfisher

Guest Colins2

FlyFisher,That's the trouble with Winzip!Although it's a pretty good program, it inserts itself everywhere and doesn't give you chance to do much for yourself.Fly! installs itself without any 3rd party intervention.It does not require winzip or any other unzipping program.At the very least, disable winzip, preferably uninstall the darn thing and then run the setup again. XP has a built-in zip/unzip program (compressed folders) that will do just about anything that winzip will do, albeit not with such a nice interface.Also, disable any AV software you may have running, this can interfere with the install process, especially Norton.Installing Fly! is not difficult, these same symptoms could occur with a lot of install programs.Hope this helpsColin

Colin,Thanks.I don't know whether to try and run Fly2 as I can't be sure if the data is essential or not.What are CAB files?Flyfisher

Guest Colins2

Flyfishwr,I have no idea what's in the cab files.I installed Fly!2 once, the day I got it and that was within days of it being released.You can always try running Fly!, it will either work, or it won't.Either way, it won't do any harm.Fly! doesn't use/write to any files other than those contained within its own directory structure. If something is missing you will just get an error and a CTD.I would suggest deleting what has already been installed and starting over.Colin

Colin,Re-installed Fly 2 as you suggested but this time when the odd window appeared simply closed it and the installation continued with no problem.Fly 2 seems to run fine which is wonderful as it was only because Rich Harvey uploaded the final Fly 2 patch that I decide to try Fly 2 again. I have to admit that I had reluctantly given up on it which was a great disappointment to me as I was a great fan of Fly and had high expectations for Fly 2.Thanks to you and especially for Rich for his commitment to Fly 2.Flyfisher:-wave