Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

Why can't I use the keyboard to control the throttle?

Guest cliff

Hitting F2 or number pad 3 to decrease throttle power doesn't work. Nor does hitting F3 or number pad 9 to increase the power.I've checked the assignments (even resetting the default settings)but with no luck. However the throttle on my joystick works normally.Any suggestioin please?Cliff (In Spain)

Guest The Ancient Brit

Cliff,It is my guess that somewhere in assignments your joystick is overriding the keyboard as the means of control. The problem has to be with your settings and not Flight Simulator since I use mouse and keyboard for all my flying without problems and do not have a joystick. Have you tried unplugging the joystick?Denis (In North Wales)

Guest cliff

Bingo Denis! As soon as the stick was disconnected the jeys worked perfectly. After connecting again the same problem existed.Any idea where I go from here?Cliff (In sunny Spain...I saw your weather report on Sky today...)_

Guest The Ancient Brit

Cliff,Now you have me at a disadvantage. Since I fly in a joystick free zone (yoke and pedal free zone for that matter) and have no software installed for one, the joystick option in Assignments is dimmed. I do recall however when I flew on a friend

Guest cliff

Thanks for trying Denis. Why not try Spain one day? I retired from London some 14 years ago.............the blue skies make all the difference.Off to bed now, past midnight.Regards,Cliff

Well if you're in fs2002, goto assignments and see what keyboard key is assigned to those commands, Then check the same commands for the joystick assignments. There might be a conflict.RD

The computer will disregard those keys while reading the joystick.The joystick will override those keys. Unless you tell it to ignore the joystick. The computer cannot guess what inputs to read, it can only read that which has been assigned to be read.When my joystick throttle lever is at the bottom, then F2 does deploy the thrust reversers.

Guest The Ancient Brit

Ihor: Can you put Cliff out of his misery by telling him how to instruct Flight Sim to ignore the joystick? I can

Guest cliff

Thanks for the suggestion Ihor. But, as Denis suggests, can you tell how to do follow your suggestion please?

Guest cliff

Thanks RD. I tried that and even reset the assignment defaults.They're "Increase the throttle" F3 and 9 "Decrease the throtte" F2 and 3The part that puzzles me is that not too long ago I was able to use either the joystick throttle or the keyboard.And, yes, I'm in FS2002.Cliff

Go into FS2002 menu Options - Controls - Assigments.Then select 'joystick axis', and look up the Throttle axis assignment.Select this assignment by clicking on it, and then click button "Delete assignment"Rob

Guest GalacticCowboy

If there is a bit of jitter in the throttle axis on your joystick, FS will see this as "movement" and override your keyboard settings to whatever position the throttle is in. Try adding a bit of dead zone on the throttle axis, or calibrate the joystick and see if you can get rid of this jitter.