Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

MSFS Panels and FLY Panels

I got back into MSFS after a long lay off. The last sim I had was MSFS200 and FLY! (never got to FLY2). One thing I have noticed thus far was the panels in FLY! were absolutely gorgeous and looked almost real compared to FS2000/2002. MS's panels look jagged even with anti aliasing ON all the way. Some are OK, but some of the panels I have downloaded really look bad.I'm not pro-FLY, pro-MSFS or anything, as when I had FLY! I went with MSFS this time around because there seemed to be more support for it. So my question here is for people that have both FLY and MSFS.So is it just me? Or are the MSFS panels just, well -- always jagged looking compared to the scrollable, detailed looking FLY panels? -GL

>So is it just me? Or are the MSFS panels just, well -- >always jagged looking compared to the scrollable, detailed >looking FLY panels? This was one of the things I love about FlyII. I have MSFS2002, and at times Im very fed up with the quality of the panels and quite often puts me off flying the aircraft. Many of the panels are so basic you could not fly saftly at all.Then you Fire up FlyII (Or Fly) and designers and panelmakers are coming up with things like this>>>>>http://www.yxu06.ukgateway.net/C152/images...rge/Forward.JPG

Guest tonyc

yea, whose panel is it?;-)tony

I tend to agree with you to a point. However one must compare best FS panels with best FLY panels. It is true that majority of FS panels (and there are literally hundreds of them) are of mediocre quality but there are notable exceptions like Bill Grabowski's ERJ-145 which is a freeware by the way. If you get into the payware world the situation starts to tilt in favor of FS panels (PSS, Wilco, RealAir). And then if you take the absolutely latest products, some still weeks from release, then these panels simply have no equal in the FLY world in terms of functionality or looks. What I particularly have in mind is the Flight1's Meridian panel which will open a new era in panel design. It is true the FLY panels set the early standards - but the world does not stand still ....Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

In my experience, the FLY panels have the smoothest edges. Especially the stock panels of FLY and FLYII. While you've been gone from MSFS, some really good ones have come along. One thing I have noticed though, is that the panel lettering of MSFS at 1600*1200*32 is MUCH easier to read on my 22" monitor than FLY's maximum res at 1024*768.A few MS panel pics, since I'm sure everyone here has seen the FLY panels.. Dreamfleet Archer, Cardinal, and RealAir Simulations virtual cockpit

I can't agree with this. It is true some older PSS panels are very CPU-hungry however 767PIC and the latest generation of panels work very nice. Definitely better than what I saw in FLY2. Moreover the Meridian folks (it is in fact Reality-XP's technology) promise breakthrough in gauge-fluidity by going AROUND the MS engine (I saw their ADI demo and it's smoothness is Absolute). The competition from FLY has been removed but lets not forget there are quite a few FS panel designers who compete fiercely with each other. One quickly learns that in FS most progress come from these designers not from MS.Personally I never developed taste for VC. I am happy in the 2D world.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest Josve

Nice panels alright,but just remember they are all payware,and they are also rated as some of the best panels for FS2002.You should see the default M$panels......not much to speak of.The FS2002 panels still don't have the clarity and readability of the Fly2 panels.You still have to use pop up windows to see other parts of the panel.So IMHO the Fly2 Freeware panels still are the best.......I don't think it's fair to compete FS2002 payware panels to Fly2 freeware panels :)Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/zone.jpg ][/div

G'day Larry, Larry the first two panels just don't look right. I don't have a photo to compare them to but to my eye they just look like a cluttered mess. It's a dogs breakfast. Since you didn't post any Fly! panels to compare them to I use the 152 panel posted by Aragon as a comparison. To my eye the 152 panel looks far more realistic. How about balancing your post with a few of the Fly! II panels at the same screen resolution. Give a balanced post.It might even make you look at Fly! in a new light. :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Josve

Hi Roger!I also think larry is far out here....He tries to compare the best of FS2002 paywarepanels with Fly2 default/freeware panels....But I don't think it's fair to call them a cluttered mess and dog breakfast :) The panels are really great,and the best there is for Fs2002,and compared to the real ones...they are right on spot.I think the Archer panel is from Lou Bettis Piper,and the cardinal panel comes from the Knoxwille flyers real Cardinal.Here is a shot of the freeware Piper panel for Fly2.http://avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/fly2/sin...piper/panel.jpgAnd IMHO it doesn't stand back in any way :)Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/zone.jpg ][/div

G'day Johnny,Your piper panel to my mind pretty much confirms the question posed by the original post.Fly panels ARE clearer and sharper than the MS2002 panels. Even the payware panels.Thanks for posting and showing that FlyII panels are second to none,at least IMHO.Others may now compare and make their own decisions without only having Larrys ms2002 file photos to view.Cheers Johnny,Roger @YSSY

A FLYII payware panel & MSFS freeware panel. They've always had similarities in artwork, crispness, clarity. RealAir Super Decathlon and a 3rd party MSFS Stearman.Edit............ As I previously mentioned, the FLY panels still have the cleanest edges --- especially around windows. I've also always preferred the FLY digital displays of the GPS's. They're just clearer. We'll just have to see how these new add-on GPS's for MSFS turn out..L.Adamson