Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Memory problem - Fly creeps up in RAM as I fly

I've been noticing since I upgraded to v2.5.240 that the longer I fly, particularly when flying over long distances, the more RAM Fly eats. It also begins to slow down (this would be an obvious side effect of Fly taking up more RAM).As you can see from my signature file, I have what I think is a pretty powerful setup. I'm on XP Home edition. I upgraded to DirectX 9 today, although have been experiencing this problem since I installed v2.5.240 update.I flew from KSAN to KSFO - not such a long flight. When switching from Fly!2 to the desktop (using ALT-TAB), I then checked out my memory (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and Fly took up nearly 900 MB of RAM. I'm not sure what info to post here to help diagnose this. Has anyone else experienced this? A quick way, by the way, to try out this problem is to load up a heavy memory scenery --- like New York or Los Angeles --- and then teleport to another heavey memory scenery area. Go to the desktop and see if Fly! multiplies in size. What it appears might be happening is that Fly is not unloading files after the plane leaves a scenery area. That is the only explanation I can think of.Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

G'day David,Can't say I experience your problem?!! But then again Aus isn't exactly dense scenery. I fly over either desert, plains or water but many of the sectors I Fly are between 2 to 4 hrs real time and if there was any ram leak it has plenty of time to show itself.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Do me a favor and try a flight plan where you have some significant TerraScenery installed AND some TerraModels installed. For me, flying between Boston and Washington DC (which passes over all of Scott Cannizaro's NY Metro area scenery and all my NE TerraScenery) does the trick. Alternatively, do some teleporting over similar areas, as is appropriate from your setup.I'm still experimenting to see if I can figure out what's causing this. But no luck so far.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Dean

Do you have much scenery installed in your shared folder? This scenery is loaded regardless of where you fly so it's possible scenery that you are not even flying over is loaded and consuming resources. I haven't actually checked ram use, but I have the entire area between SFO and LAX done in TS2 and I see no loss of performance or frame rates when flying between the two.Dean Karis

I have a few things in the Shared folder (as few as possible), but nothing new in four or five months. This "problem" only started since the v240 upgrade XMas week.I'm going to run some more tests this week and post some more specifics. More to come....-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.