Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Upgrading from Fly2k..

Hi, I'm about to install Fly2, incl patches on my system.I still have a working copy of Fly2k.. can I use any of the 500 Megs of add-on Terra-scenery that I currently use??And can I use the maps that came with the original Fly, or do I need to download new ones?Last, but maybe the question I should have asked first, what do I gain by upgrading to this new version??System: 1Gig PIII processor, 384Meg RAM, GF4-4200 128 Meg video card,runs MSFS2k2 and Fly!2k with no problems..

Bert

Guest Colins2

Bert,In short, you will get a completely new simulator, similar to Fly2k, but much, much better.The 2 versions are not really compatible in any way apart from taxiway files and some of the databases.Your old TerraScenery is only 1/2 the resolution of the newer scenery for Fly!2, i.e. 15m/pixel as opposed to 7.5m/pixel for the newer stuff. The newer version will be much sharper.The terrain files are also different so the scenery won't just move across.You can use the old maps from Fly!2k, but the new ones are in a better format. I recommend the new ones if available.If you liked Fly!2k, you will love Fly!2 once patched up to 240.Colin

Colin.. sounds pretty good so far. Do you happen to know.. will I have to make my own Terrascene scenery, say for Florida, or has someone already produced it?Or... does it come on the Fly2 CD, which should be in the mail to me shortly..

Bert

Bert,You might want to check the file library to see what's available, but you'll probably need to make your own. The new TS prpogram is compatible with both versions of Fly!, but you'll need to install it carefully as to which version you're using, extract the proper texture files, etc.Note: because of the doubled resolution, the scenery files are much larger for Fly!II. I would also recommend the texture enhancer from Todd Klaus which will allow quite a boost in the color saturation of textures in Fly!II. Apply it properly, so you'll get the same amount of saturation in Fly!II that TS will add to new scenery.

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Randall,I may be wrong, but I thought that the texture enhabcer was built-in to the release version of TS2.1Colin

Thanks for all the prompt replies! This is fun even before I've got the CD in my hands!In the original Fly!, I did generate some Terrascene tiles, so I guess I can do it once again..Last question: In the library, there are 3 hi-res TRI sceneries:San Fran, New York, and Washington DC.. these are pretty big files..what is the verdict, are these a "must have" or "don't bother"?

Bert

Colin,Yes - any scenery that you manufacture with TS will now have enhanced texture saturation, but TS won't enhance existing generic scenery.TS2.1 will give you a 25% boost in saturation to scenery you slice. By using the texture enhancer, you can boost the generic scenery to match (or even add more saturation).

Randall Rocke

Bert,These were the original hi-res (custom TS scenery areas and 3d models) that were to have been included with Fly!II, but the publisher shoved the program out the door too soon and they were left behind. I would certainly recommend them to start with.You may want to replace the areas with your own TS version (or other versions posted in the library). There are a couple of new options for the New York area, for instance. These sceneries (which should include Paris, BTW) do not include night lights. To get that for those areas, you'll need to generate your own TS and make night imagery too.For one of the most astonishing sceneries ever made for simming, I would recommend the SoCal (southern California) scenery - an absolutely amazing version of the L.A. area (landscape).

Randall Rocke

Randall, found it and am downloading (thank goodness for my hi-speed DSL connection.. I wonder how I would have done this with my earlier dial up.. overnight downloads, I guess..)

Bert

Well, Download Accelerator and other similar program can make a big difference - even for those of us that have big pipes. ENJOY!

Randall Rocke