Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Pilatus - Where's the Prop control?

I cannot believe I've been flying this plane for over a year and never noticed this. There is no Prop control on the pedistal of the Pilatus, but the Prop subsystem operates just as the same system in all other fixed-pitch prop planes. I have the CH pedels and yoke and using the slider mapped to Prop (for planes such as the Aurora/Beechcraft B200) this slider controls the prop RPM's. It also controls the prop RPM's on the Pilatus, but I noticed today that no such "handle" exists on the pedestal.Is this an error in the graphic? Or an error in the way the subsystem is modeled? If the latter, what is the "proper" prop position I should use to most realistically fly the Pilatus? Full up gives me waaay to much power for things like controlled slow descents and full down is not nearly enough.Professional Pilatus experts -- your reply is appreciated.-DK---David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Dean

This from the Fly II Pilatus users guide:"When you examine the power quadrant, you'll notice something missing compared to the other turbo props: there's no prop control. That's because the PC-XII runs it's prop at a single constant speed (1700RPM)."It goes on to describe how the PCL and condition levers work. It's a pretty good guide on the Pilatus systems.Dean Karis

I am embarrassed. I didn't have a printed copy of the manuals around when I posted the thread above. I later found my copy and read the chapter and found the text you refer to. I should have done this first. My apologies to the forum.So now I know the problem is that the Pilatus takes input from the Prop control on my Flight Yoke. This is a clear inaccuracy.So now here's the obvious question - how do we disable this input and have the prop set to the proper RPM's for a Pilatus. The way it works now, I am waaayyyy over-powering the plane during some phases of flight (and especially takeoff and taxi) and probabaly underpowering on descent. I've been flying this bird for over a year just like the Aurora B200. I'd like to try it out with a more accurate set of control settings.Anyone with aircraft system's editing experience - please chime in.Thanks.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Dean

David,Please don't feel embarrassed. I only posted that text because I didn't know the answer either so I went to the guide after seeing your post. An appology to the forum is also not in order since asking questions and receiving answers is what makes this forum so great. :-beerchugConcerning prop position, I may be wrong but I leave it at 100%. I actually never noticed it would change based on an input command which I guess is wrong. I suppose one could set the prop rpm to 1700 at full power and see what happens. As far as being overpowered during taxiing, have you tried moving the condition lever to the ground idle position?Dean Karis

I leave the condition lever to ground while on the ground, and move it forward when ready for takeoff. I keep it forward during takeoff and flight, and reduce it to ground/idle after landing but before taxiing. It makes a difference.I wonder if there is a block of text in the plane's SMF file (I think that's the one with the systems listed) that one can delete, which would eliminate input from the Prop control. I will try to scan through it next time I have a chance. Maybe someone else knows.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.