Sign in to follow this  

When I fly IFR and switch autopilot to apr at 1500 feet alttude, the auto pilot does not line the plane up with the runway. Also when I overfly the runway switching to rev the plane does not turn around and line up with the runway. What is wrong?

G'day Titus,Where are you and what aircraft are you flying?? does the ILS localiser actually capture?If the localiser captures; but the aircraft is not on the runway heading the it's likely that the ILS localiser transmitter data is incorrect in the database. If the localiser does not capture; The problem might be that the aircraft is NOT on an intersecting course with the ILS localiser when you select APR.Please post more infoCheers,Roger @YSSY

Also, does the runway even have an ILS system? If it does, did you tune NAV1 to it? If it doesn't have an ILS, the APPR system of the auto-pilot will not be able to line up with a non-existant (or untuned) localizer. If the runway has no ILS but uses a VOR approach instead, you could use the NAV mode to follow the approach while following a manual descent profile from an approach plate.I'm not certain what you mean by REVERSE - some auto-pilots are capable of flying the "backside" of a localizer, but again, the localizer has to exist and you have to have it tuned. Then, like Roger states, you have to be on an intersecting course to the localizer (no greater than 30 deg. off the localizer bearing. If you are shooting an approach that has a Back Course approach (BC LOC), then the indicator (mattering on which plane you are flying and what instrumentation it has) will, in some cases, read backwards. Some APs have a Back Course mode - if you intersect properly, they will lock on in reverse, but you cannot use the glideslope as it is for the opposite runway. You will have to follow the descent profile on the IAP (Instrument Approach Plate).

Randall Rocke

Guest andrewluck

Sorry about the third person here but we don't have a name on the original post.The gist I get from this post is that the pilot is expecting the aircraft to line up for the approach from any heading. When overflying the runway and hitting the back course button he's expecting the AP to turn the plane around to line up with the runway again.As per real life, you have to be on an intercept course with the extended runway centre-line and heading towards the runway for LOC to capture. Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Where do I find the Nav 1 frequency for and airport runway?

I thought that when I filed a flight plan that all frequencies would be automatically tuned?

G'day Titus,Auto tuning of radios is not a feature of a filed flight plan.You can get all the airport info during the flight planning stage and then make a note of it.Alternatively whilst in flight;1.IF YOU CAN SEE the airport;press the / key. Now if you place the cursor over the airport it will show the airport name and distance from aircraft.Double click with the mouse and this will open a small box from which you can select the VOR,ILS or whatever and there is a button for tuning there as well. All the button does is saves you the trouble of going to the panel and tuning the radios manually. or2. Select the vector map window (Shift M) and double click with the mouse on the airport. This will also open the same airport box described above.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

>G'day Titus, >> It's unrealistic to have auto tuning of the radios and >Fly!II mimmicks real life. >>Except we probably put the sim on pause to set an un-planned frequency, and then flip-flop it after resuming the sim. :)For me........ scrolling panels, quick keys to get overhead panels/pedestals, or keying pull down pages (FS2002) isn't near as fast or convienant, as in real life. And if VFR, my eyes are taken away from the outside view much longer than real life. Besides, we don't even have a simulated co-pilot to take care of the many duties required when operating a two pilot aircraft!Thank goodness for auto-tuning and the "pause" key!!! :)And BTW---- my real life comm radio has 9 pre-sets in addition to the flip-flops. Havn't even checked to see if FLY or MS does.L.Adamson

I just made a perfect APR guided landing in the Cessna 172 at SFO.Thanks for all the guidance.

The KX-155A COM radio in Fly!II will store up to 32 presets.The NAV radios can also be used as electronic CDIs and stopwatches.

Randall Rocke

G'day Larry, >> It's unrealistic to have auto tuning of the radios and >>Fly!II mimmicks real life.I agree it sure would be nice to have a copilot at times. >And BTW---- my real life comm radio has 9 pre-sets in >addition to the flip-flops. Havn't even checked to see if >FLY or MS does. Fly has more presets than you will ever use.I'll leave it to you to check your other sim :-)I have no ideaCheers,Roger @YSSY