Sign in to follow this  

New to Fly! 2... soon

Hi all,I've been using MSFS for 10 (?) years (I started with the Mac version).Along the way, I've heard about other simms, but I always assumed that MSFS was the best - they surely have the money to make it the best... although sometimes they lack the brain and/or the passion.Lately I've been hearing a lot about Fly! 2. I find it fascination that a small group of people are struggling to push forward a product that rivals MS's, and I'm sure I'll join the community of Fly! 2 users pretty soon.Unfortunately, I arrive at a difficult time, with what's happening to Richard. I hope he recovers.If the product is as good as it seems by the passion it generates in this forum, it can't stop. There can't be such thing as "the last patch". There must be a solution to keep the product evolving. The publishers must find a solution for this.Best regards,PedroPortugal

Guest DSandberg

Unfortunately looking to the publisher to keep Fly II evolving is a lost cause ... they have no further interest in flight sims.The good news, however, is that Fly II in its current state and with its SDK is sufficiently "open" that the number of ways in which 3rd parties can potentially expand upon it is quite staggering. The passion of this forum should be quite sufficient to keep Fly II alive and growing for a good long while.[br][br]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif

You mean that the publisher will simply throw the source code away, making $0 and moving along with its business?Why not selling it to a group of programmers ($1 would be better than $0...) that would keep it as shareware?

Guest dajackman

All I can think of is that some of the code is fly2 is used in some of their other products. If this is the case then they would want to keep the source.

The owners of Fly! were not able to find an interested publisher - there's always hope that a publisher may be found down the road but it's probably a long-shot.The source code is proprietary and a part of TRI's code for a number of other products, so they could not release that code to the public.However, as has been stated, it is already (through it's powerful developers' tools) a very "open" product, and much can be developed by third parties.

Randall Rocke

Guest DSandberg

There is shared code, and they do want to keep the source. Also consider that, from a business standpoint, even the non-shared portion of the Fly II source code is a company asset, whether the company continues to utilize it or not. Hence it is financially beneficial to them to keep that code as an asset in case the company is sold at some future date.[br][br]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif

I've just ordered my copy of Fly! 2.My expectations are high, due to all I've been reading in this forum.I'm counting on your help to master all the patches, add-ons, etc.Rgrds,Pedro

Guest jjlobo

In some countries the laws forces software companies that quit any software for any reason to open the code and make it available to clients. In the company I work we often mention this situation in our contracts of purchased software. Its a strong way to protect software investment.This approach is resonable from my point of view. Lots of people purchased Fly!, Fly! 2K and Fly! II. They deserve certain amount of respect at least.This situation is bothering me for a long time and now I decide to open my mouth (mail) to express my concept on this. It is not fair that someone put something on the market and if the things are not the expected way just quit. ...I respect intelecttual property BUT I don't care if they are using part of the code in other of their products. I payed some money for this software and they don't care about my investment and the intelectual property of others developing over Fly!.They can simply open the code with a contract to ones wanting to continue to maintain the sotware restricting its utilization for that particular software continuation.Does anybody else feels the same?___ JJLobo ___55 11 37268158