Sign in to follow this  
Guest dajackman

Terrascene Questions

Guest dajackman

I am putting my upgraded computer to some work with terrascene. I do have a few questions. The first one I may know the answer to. How to I distribute my work? Do I just zip up the folder that TS created in my scenery folder?And last questions, after the POD file is created can I change the name? I named it test.pod and would like the name more descriptive when I distribute it.After I get these questions answered I plan to keep on creating more awsome scenery. I never was able to use TS before with my old clunker, now I have a great respect for what it can do. Good job developers!!!

Guest Eagle

You need to distribute the .scf and .pod file together. You can change the .pod file to any name you want.

Guest dajackman

I came up with another question. I got this error tonight in Terrascene when doing a render:c:terrascene2texturesHITWHITW-lake-mid.jpg file not found.I check the path above and the HITW folder does not even exist. Is there addons or something I have to d/l? Thanks for the help!

Yes, there is a HITW download file check at http://www.howintheworld.com . Check at AVSIM library for hitw-hvywinter.zipIn my Terrascene2, the HITW files are labelled:G:TerraScene2texturesHITWHITW-TS2-lake-mid.jpg.I also have Terrascene1 installed and the HITW files are labelled:G:Program FilesTerraScenetexturesHITWHITW-lake-mid.jpg

Guest Dean

The lake-mid.jpg texture was part of the original HITW texture pack for TS2. Unfortunately, they are no longer available for download. If you have installed the TS2.1 update it should have extracted the high res textures from Fly II. I'm assuming you used one of the original TS2 render options, indicated by a "15mp" in the description, that called for this texture. Go back into your render options and change to the "generic Fly II 7.5 mp" texture group and this will use the textures extracted from Fly II. I'm not sure of this but I believe once you create the pod you cannot change it's name.

Guest dajackman

Thanks guys....I will try the above. And another question.My first terrascenery pod file ended up over 30 Megs. What size of an area should I render into a single POD file. The above was a 50 mile area around my FBO. I don't think dial-up users would be interested in this size of download. What I want to do is start rendering the US. I would like to hear any of your thoughts. Thanks again for the help.

I would recommend rendering no less than 1/4 tile and no greater than a global tile at a time (as a project). Do not use distance to set the project bounds, rather be sure to "snap to grid" so an exact tile can be made. This will help the scenery to load properly and properly adjoin other tiles. If this scenery were ever to be shared with others, it will not work properly for them when it borders others work or their own projects.Last of all, and I'm sure some are going to be upset with me for this, I don't recommend the uploading of completes TS pods of scenery - they are just too large. They are too large for Avsim's servers and they are too large for most persons to download. The wonderful thing about TerraScene is that everyone can make their own scenery.If you want to make scenery to share with others, then I would recommend uploading a package which would include: your project file, data files, any custom texture sets you used, and any custom water masks you made (which when zipped, become nice and tidy). Include instructions for persons to place the project, data, and textures, etc. in the proper place and the render settings to use. This way an entire globe tile's data and settings and even a custom water mask can be provided. Then the end-user simply starts the render and voila! - in a few hours, they have your scenery.I know that there are some wonderful sceneries whose rendered images have custom work - these will probably have to be uploaded as completed projects, but I forsee a future where we can produce completed TS sceneries to share with the Fly! community, burn them to CDs, then work out an arrangement with the Avsim store to sell and ship them at a low cost (to cover their expenses).

Randall Rocke

Guest dajackman

I'm not made at ya....you made some good points. Thanks to all for the help!

The >above was a 50 mile area around my FBO. I don't think >dial-up users would be interested in this size of download. >What I want to do is start rendering the US. I would like >to hear any of your thoughts. Thanks again for the help. Robby, Ive done a few renders using Terrascene. Like you I didnt know about the size of the files after rendering. I did a 150 X 150 mile area approx size. Some of the other guys told me to limit the size to 1 global tile. This area is defined by whats in the black square, with 4 smaller squares with dotted lines within. Each of the smaller squares are quarter tiles in size. Below is a picture of what I'm talking about. I may have posted this twice. I hit the wrong button if it appears twice.TonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP