Sign in to follow this  
Guest product

First time Fly! II'er, Frustrations...

I got both a new video card (GeForce3 Ti-200 64MB) and Fly! II over the holidays. Up until then I used Fly! 2k regularly.Im a bit overwhelmed trying to get accostomed to Fly! II...Any help or suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.Questions or problems:1) Is there any way to improve the performance of the flight planner? It took me about an hour last night to set up a plan! The mouse is completely non-responsive. 2) What happened to the 'next wpt/prev wpt' buttons in the planner? (which Fly! 2k had) I used those quite a bit, but they seem to be gone?3) I can locate waypoints in the 'directory', but cant for the life of me find them in the flight planner map. I've made sure all three types of waypoints are enabled in the options. Any clues what Im missing? 'WAGES' based off OSI R-116 is one such waypoint.4) The 'x' window... the one that shows trim. I used to use this all the time so I could visually keep close watch on my trim settings, but in Fly! II it seems to function differently. When viewing the plane from outside, I can adjust rudder to the far left of the 'x' window slider, yet, if I keep adjusting the trim/rudder, I can watch as it travels well beyond what the 'x' window displays. (For example, long after the mark on 'x' window has moved all the way to the side, I can watch the rudder/front gear continue to turn more and more. And then, when I recenter the trim, the center will be off... the tick on the 'x' window will show as being centered, but my plane will still be turning in the direction it was before.) (hope that makes sense) (eg: tick on x window does not seem to correspond to 100% of trim travel)5) Which planes are accurate? Is there a general concensus as there was with Fly! 2k? (for example R. Young planes were all pretty much considered good). 6) What generally accepted patches are there for the default planes? (Meaning which 3rd party add-ons are good?)7) Are any of the 3rd party freeware heavies 'good'? (not just pretty, but function well also) See next question as well...8) Is the freeware 737 that is so beautifully modeled a 'good' plane? I seem to be having trouble flying it. For example: In Fly! 2k I used to fly an ILS approach with APPR autopilot mode, up until 1000 or so feet, then fly the rest manually. When I attempt this in the 737, as soon as I turn APPR mode off, the plane immediately nose dives, and I have to give it almost FULL back stick and ALOT of throttle to keep it from sinking like a rock. Am I doing something wrong?9) I saw a mention of some really good Los Angeles scenery. Anyone know where this might be found? (Sorry, I know thats not much of a description, but thats about all that was mentioned.)10) Are the add-ons mentioned in the 'New Fly!ers' post the most recent versions? (I know most of these were considered great 2k add-ons, I just dont know what the latest versions are, and its hard to discover such via the file library, because old versions never get yanked.)11) Are there any 'tweak' links, or files, or hints available so that I know what options there are that best reduce workload/increase frame rates? (so perhaps I can get the flight planner to function.)I know thats ALOT of questions! :) But Im totally overwhelmed. Thanks...Bradi 400Mhz Celeron, 3?? MB 100Mhz Ram, GeForce3 Ti-200 64MB.

Guest dajackman

Well first welcome back to Fly. I can't answer all your questions. I really don't use the flight planner at all. I do all VFR flights with GA aircraft. I sit at the computer with a real sectional and an E6B and mostly practice my cross country work. Have you read any of the first time fly FAQ at the top of the form list? It has some good info that may help. I guess the most important is make sure you are patched with the latest patch. Fly2 right out of the box was kinda slow, real jerky mouse movements and such.3rd party stuff...I guess C4TO (cleared for take off) if you do the jets and heavys. ROTWs aircraft are a must. As for tweaks check out the render.ini FAQ. That should help a lot.Fly can be a pain to get working to your liking. But once it is it is worth the trouble. Another trick I just learned is in order to backup Fly, all you have to do is backup the Fly2 folder. No need to re-install later. I dump mine to a writable DVD for safe keeping.Any problems you have just post them here. There are some great people here that help me all the time.

#9-------- The scenery is most likely SOCAL for Fly2 byMatt Fox, as in these pics..L.Adamson

Ahhh... thank you. That must be the scenery! I've recently been running a shuttle from ONT to AVX and back using the Fly! 2k default scenery. While the Fly! 2k detail wasnt that great, it was better than the Fly! II default scenery. What youre showing looks like what im after. ThxIn response to the previous post, yes, Im all patched up, and have read the FAQ and 'New to Fly' posts. I just wasnt sure how recent they are, since 'alot' of pages seem to have been let go... appears as if alot of people have left the Fly! community since I was around.

Thought of 2 more questions:- In Fly! 2k I was able to toggle between full screen (hardware mode), and windowed (software mode) so that I could task switch to other windows while flight planning, etc (like approach plates).Is there a way to do it in Fly! II?- Is there a page anywhere that explains fly.ini settings?Thanks

Guest Fly II Pilot

Brad:In response to question 1) 2) and 3)1) You probably have the Location palette selected which takes up a lot of resources and doesn't provide much information. Closing it should improve the mouse performance. If you have a general idea of where it is, just use the arrow (with no sign) and double click on the Navaid, Waypoint or Airport and it should display the info in a pop up window. Also, if you happen to be in a dense scenery and the simulator is performing at slow FPS, the mouse will also move very slowly.2) The Next/Previous waypoint can be found in the Flight Planner > Current Waypoint menu, once the flight plan has been loaded.3) To view or add the WAGES waypoint or fix, first select at least a departure and arrival airport then click on the Nav Log... button within the Flight Planner, this will open a window where you can add/delete Navaids, Waypoints or Airports to your flight plan by searching and selecting them from the Directory.Hope this helps.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Fly II Pilot

Brad:In response to your first question, if I remember correctly, you have to change the suspendOnTaskSwitch from =1 to =0 in your fly.ini under the (Game) header -towards the end of the file-.Which line in the fly.ini file do you want to know about? Myself or somebody else may be able to help.Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Which keystroke combo will switch me out of Fly?I used to use "CTRL+ENTER" to switch out of full screen mode in 2k, which doesnt appear to work with II...

Thanks!Yes, the location pallette was selected... I was using it to check lat/long coordinates trying to find waypoints which arent getting drawn (for god knows what reason).Once I closed that mouse responsiveness was much better.Thats not the Next/Prev I was thinking of, I meant the one which 'selects' the next or previous. (Basically what I needed was to be able to easily select the waypoint previous to what I plan on adding with my next click... figured out how to do that with the nav-log window, it doesnt physically highlight the selected waypoint, but it works the same none the less. Thanks!)

Guest Fly II Pilot

Brad:It's ALT-TAB but I just tried and it didn't work for me. I may be missing another setting somewhere else.Does sombody else remember how this is done? I searched the Forum but couldn't find anything...Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest dajackman

WHat I do is CTRL-Esc. That will bring up the start menu and minimize fly. Be sure to pause the sim first. I have had a few problems were minimizing fly will kill it....not sure why, it seems to be a random thing.

Guest product

Hi,Are those SOCAL screenshots from your system? If so I was wondering what settings you are using for your water- looks really good.Best,Joel

Guest product

Hi,Are those SOCAL screenshots from your system? If so I was wondering what settings you are using for your water- looks really good.Best,Joel

If I remember correctly, the "key" was to turn the water settings off.L.Adamson