Sign in to follow this  

FLY2 crashes...

Hello,I'm new to this forum although i'm watching it for several months now. I started with Fly2 sonn after release in Germany but it was no fun using it with my old computer (PIII, 500 Mhz, TNT2). Now I got my new PC and tried to install FLY2 again (looking forward to all the news that had happend in the last months).And the first time, I got problems with the install. Fly chrashes down to desktop right after the "Bell loading screen" and sometimes shortly after the "turnaround" of the Cessna. In other cases it not just only crashes to desktop, but restarts the whole PC. I just don't know what to do...By the way, I freshly installed FLY2, then patched it to 230, then to 240 (as mentioned in the FLY2 FAQ). It doesn't seem to make any difference if I try to use DirectX 8/8T&L or whatever in the first setting-screen.To my system: AMD +2400XP, Gigabyte 7VAXP, GForce4 4200TI (128MB), 512MB DDR-RAM, Win XP Home. New detonator 41.09 and the last BIOS-Update.Would be nice, if someone has any idea...Thanks in advanceFrank

I`m not familiar with German version but maybe you should try directx 7 if that is an option in the render window. U.S. version has that and Directx8 and dx8t&l.Hope this at least makes it stable to get started.Qdog

I'm just wondering exactly what version of DirectX that WinXp has installed as default? Have you tried running DirectX Diagnostic to check what version that is installed. It could be that WinXp installs by default DirectX 4.0. Worth checking out at least. TonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP

I believe my XP came with DirectX 8.1 - the latest releases will probably have DX 9.

Randall Rocke

Frank,It sounds as though you have a conflict and/or a file is corrupted.Make sure that there is no other program running before you start Fly!II - no background programs, system tray programs, anti-virus programs, etc. In some systems these types of programs take resources that Fly! needs to run.Delete any existing HST files from the Fly!II aircraft folder - if you get a successful start, you will need to reset all the Aircraft, Options.. for each plane as listed in the First Time Fly!ers post.Open the render.ini file in the Fly!II System folder and check that the vertexIndexFormat line is set to: =0.In case the fly.ini file is corrupted, remove the current version from the Fly!II System folder and place it elsewhere as a backup. When you start Fly!II without a fly.ini file, it should generate a new one. If you get a successful start, then you can make some of the recommended changes to that file to adapt and improve Fly!II's performance.If none of these work, someone else may have an idea.Good luck!

Randall Rocke

Hello,thank you for your ideas! Yes, my WinXP came with DirectX 8.1, so that shoul not be the problem. I'll try to get an older version of Nvidia-drivers, because i heard in several forums that the version 41.09 is a troublemaker in some cases.@Radall: I'll try to change things as you mentioned - hopefuly it will be succesful.I'll post again after it.Thank you and good night (in Germany :-))Frank

Hello, it's me again,unfortunately I didn't solve the problem mentioned above.Things I've tried:- I shut down all programs in the systray (antivirus, firewall, other stuff)- I deleted all .hst files in the aircraft directory- tried to delete the fly.ini- I updates my XP-OS- I tried the whole thing with different nvidia-drivers- tried different settings with AA, Mipmapping etc.- updated my joystick-drivers- tested directX with the directX-diagnosis-toolNow I'm able to start Fly2, but after a few seconds the program shuts down and crashes to the desktop or my computer restarts (!). Sometimes Fly2 stops and the system gets into an "hangup".Could this be a hardware-problem? I don't think thar my ressources should run out of memory (512MB RAM!). Please - anyone an idea what else to do?Thanks in advance,Frank

Guest Fly II Pilot

Frank:Could you post or attached the contents of your render.ini and fly.ini files (to attach them you need to rename them to .txt) which can be found in the system folder?Also, do you get any kind of messages when it crashes? If so, please post what it says.Thanks,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Hello Alejendro,unfortunately I don't get any kind of error-message when Fly crashes. It just puts me back to desktop...Here are my fly.ini and render.ini files. Thanks for your helpFrankFLY_INI[Graphics]airShadowFlag=2showDistantClouds=0flatShadeFlag=0filterFlag=1useAGPFlag=2gamePIXX=1024gamePIXY=768gameBitsPerPixel=32autoFullScreen=0useDirect3D=1ditherFlag=1useLensFlare=1numTextureSlots=0environmentMap=1rendererVideoCard=2textureDetailThreshold=2exteriorCamZoom=32768interiorCamZoom=32768useNightLights=3limitTaxiwayPavementDistance=0detailTileMinimumPixels=24detailTileAutoDisable=1popBuildingsIntoView=0popBuildingsTolerance=20desiredMinPossibleVisibility=100desiredMaxPossibleVisibility=316800rendererDLLPath=tridx8tl.dlltaxiwayTileRepeat=4highDetailRadius=4medDetailRadius=10animateWater=1minCameraZoom=8192maxCameraZoom=49152movieSizeX=256movieSizeY=192movieFPS=10maxUserVisibility=60useEnvLighting=0waterTransparency=64waterTilingDensity=8scatteredCloudCount=500fewCloudCount=248distanceHidingRadius=2viewableTaxiwayPavementDistance=2000viewableTaxiwayLightDistance=2000markingTotalFadeOutDistance=12152viewableTaxiwayHeight=1000viewableTaxiwayMarkingDistance=3000runwayLightFogPenetration=1000lightScalarDusk=50lightScalarDawn=50lightScalarDay=100lightScalarNight=25runwayLightDistanceFadeMinFeet=12152runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxFeet=30380runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxRatio=75lightIntensityStandard=0.500000lightIntensityCenterline=0.500000lightIntensityTouchdown=0.500000lightIntensityALSF=1.000000lightIntensityRAIL=2.000000lightIntensityVASI=3.000000lightIntensityREIL=3.000000lightIntensityTaxiway=0.125000userHeadPitch=0sceneryDetailLevel=5enableNightLights=1randomlySwapSkies=1[ATC]showServiceNames=1showATCScrollingText=1forceLargeAirportsInList=1[Editors]padComPort=2padBaudRate=9600padBits=8padParity=2padStopBits=0editorSliceBitsPerPixel=6[sound]OutBits=16OutRate=22050SpeakerCfg=STEREOUseModMusic=YEPSfxEnabled=65535MasterLVol=100MasterRVol=100SfxVol=100ModGameMusicVol=100MasterStereoSeperation=100ModSeperation=70WideStereo=0Mute=NOPEFullDuplexFlag=NOPEDeviceName=DirectSound: Prim

Frank, Just a outside shot maybe. Here's your system listed below. To my system: AMD +2400XP, Gigabyte 7VAXP, GForce4 4200TI (128MB), 512MB DDR-RAM, Win XP Home. New detonator 41.09 and the last BIOS-Update.What other pieces of equipment so you have installed on your system? Printers, cameras, sound cards, ect..? Are they pci, usb? What I'm getting at is maybe this could be a power supply problem. What size is your power supply? How many watts is it rated at? I could be way off base. Just curious. TonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP

Hello Tony,my power supply is rated at 350 watts. Yes, I have scanner (usb), soundblaster live (pci), printer(usb), network stuff (via usb) etc. Just thought about the power thing myself. What can I do to proof this possibility?ThanksFrank

Hiya Frank, One way would be to look in your maual if you have one. If not you can do a search online for one. Easy way would be to search for Gigabyte 7VAXP.pdf which is the type mother board you have. If you have one then check schematics for ratings in the bios. See what the voltage ratings are under load there. It would vary for each type of mother board. IMO for a board with that size of processor and the amount of ram on board. Along with your using as many USB's items this could be pulling the load. A 400 watt pwr supply may be the answer. Before you go out and buy one first see what you can find out. :)TonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP

Frank,Another shot in the dark. There will be others in this forum that can give you more detailed suggestions, but my system is very unstable when using "tridx8tl.dll" (which I see from your fly.ini file). This is the video renderer. As far as I am aware, this version is specifically for Geforce2 or 3 video cards. I have a Geforce2 MX400, but it still crashes when using this file. You can change the renderer from your initial startup screen (or alter the entry "rendererDLLPath=" in fly.ini). If you haven't already, try selecting "tridx8.dll". I get lower frame rates, but more stability.Other instabilities can be caused by AGP settings in your BIOS. Try selecting AGP 2X or 1X and setting your AGP Aperture size to no more than 64mb.Also I suggest you change "searchPodFilesFirst=1" to "searchPodFilesFirst=0" in fly.ini, otherwise you won't be able to use any of the excellent addon aircraft and other free systems.Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree. I'll soon be told if I am. ;)Ken Brand.Perth, Western AustraliaFlying out of YPJT.

The 41.09 drivers are meant to work with directx 9!!! That may be the problem, give it a try...cheers

Hello to all,now I'm getting my first error messsage (blue screen).It says: error with the nv4-disp.dll Adress 8F9ED5BF base at BF99E000 DateStamp 3dd970d4Does someone knows what the problem with this message is? The more I change within my system, the more I consider a hardware problem with my GForce (maybe Ram)...By the way, disconnecting all usb-peripherals didn't change anything...Thanks,Frank