Sign in to follow this  

help with

Hi - I'm looking for some help on a problem I am having.The history in brief: Last I used fly was back during .210, and I had it running like a well oiled machine. Then, due to a disk crash and getting busy in real life, I left for a while, and now I'm trying to get it up and running again, and reinstalling all the old goodies I used to have.In 210, I had made a lot of custom terrascened terrain. It worked in Fly2, but when I reinstalled it on 240, I get a lot of Fly crashes with the following error:"Msg: Can't load texture DATAd178158fulltex4.raw: File not foundFile: texture.cpp line 1376Time: Sun Jan 19 02:38:00 2003errno = 2 (No such file or directory)"However, if I open up the appropriate POD file in podview.exe, that file seems to be there! I can even extract it out to a file and peer at it.Does anyone know what might be causing my problem? It's annoying coz I can't even fly around a simple pattern and land again without crashing out to the desktop. It happens with more than one of my old POD files.Any help would be very much appreciated!Reading these boards again after a long absence was both happy and sad: I was very happy to see more patches and improvements to Fly, but very sad to hear of Richard's condition. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Heh - I thought I put in a more descriptive title than "help with" - not sure where it went :-)Anyway, one more small thing I forgot to mention: I'm also running my terrascene areas with the airports uploaded by Wayne Roberts. The combination looks fantastic ('cept for the crashes). I don't think the airports are the cause of my problem though, because the file mentioned in the error log is in my terrascened POD files, not in the airport POD files.Thanks again in advance for any assistance. I'm eager to get up and running again!

Madmax?You might try putting your terrascene pods and associated scf files in scenery shared. Apparently in earlier terrascened areas, fly may not look in all the right places.Example: Baldwin County and Mobile terrascenes, if I place in a folder under scenery other than shared, I get similar type errors as the one your experiencing. If I place these in sceneryshared, it works great.Hope that helps,Robert

Hmm, ok, I will try that shortly. Thanks very much for your reply.Is there any drawback to doing that? E.g, a performance loss or something like that? Hopefully it'll help! Now if I could only remember all the keybindings that I used to have in my head :)

Guest Eagle

There is a problem in placing scenery in the Shared folder. I don't recall exactly what the problem is, but it has been covered on this forum previously.I would like to know which sceneries you have downloaded of mine. The problem that you are having is similar to one that was called to my attention recently. For some reason a .smf was not being loaded for BUF. This happened after installing 2.40. I removed the 2.40 patch and everything worked fine. I made new scenery for BUF because of the problem with 2.40 and uploaded a new version. This could be the same problem you are having with sceneries done before the 2.40 patch.

Hello - I tried putting the terrascened POD files in the shared directory, but it didn't help matters.I'm using your colorado airport files (all of them :) ). The one I just tried a few moments ago was GNB. I always seem to crash at about the same place in the pattern - when turning onto final, facing back towards the airport (after flying a left hand pattern from RWY27 at GNB). I guess I could try it without the airports installed, but they're so nice that I don't want to give them up :)Thanks again.

Guest Eagle

Madmax - I flew the GNB scenery. Took off from 27 and used left hand pattern and landed on 27 without any problems. Not sure of the problem you are having. Do you get any error messages, such as an .smf file not loading?

No other errors besides the one I posted.I think your airports are probably fine; I rather suspect the problem is actually in my terrascene terrain PODs. But I don't know what to do to fix it. I might try un-PODing them to see if that helps (for lack of anything better to try...)My absolute last resort is to re-terrascene everything, since I have a number of CPU-months invested in making the dang things in the first place :)Madmax

Guest Eagle

Madmax do you want to send me the pod that you are using?

I'd be happy to, but it's pretty huge. Even gzipped, it's 400 Mb. I suspect the only ways would be either (1) snailmail a CD, or (2) FTP to a server on your end with a fat pipe. I've got a cable modem, although I think my uploads are capped at 128 Kb/s.I appreciate your time to help me. Do you think it would be worth my while to try 230? I've never tried to downgrade a Fly before, so I'm not sure if that works.Madmax

MadmaxI'm curious if you tried extracting the one specific file you mentioned and putting it in the referenced data file. I would not recommend this on a permanent fix, as my other comment about the scenery shared folder. Per some archived posts, fly loads everything in the shared folder regardless of whether you need the files or not, therefore eating up precious memory.Regards,Robert

Guest Eagle

Madmax - try removing the GNB.pod and GNB.scf from the scenery folder and fly into rwy. 27. If you get the same error message then you know it is not the airport scenery.I could also do a small scenery file for you and see if that helps.

Wayne I know this is off the subject but I was wondering if you have any plans to make KSYR. I have KBUF and KROC and I am constantly flying in these areas. Are there any plans for KSYR in the future? Hope so. Thanks.Qdog

Hi - I haven't tried that, but I will. I might just un-POD the entire thing into a data directory, because I've seen crashes on multiple images (e.g, it's not always the same image each time - I didn't know that when I posted yesterday).I have just made a brand new TS of some areas around Seattle, and so far I haven't seen any crashes. Granted this isn't the same area as I was crashing on before, but I hope that a re-TS will fix the problem. I might just up and re-TS all my old areas. It isn't that hard, it's just somewhat time consuming :)

Guest Eagle

Madmax - another thought comes to mind. Are you using the same FlyII/Data folder as the GNB scenery?Qdog - I moved KSYR to the top of the list.