Sign in to follow this  

A render.ini question....

Guest jcomm

Hi All,first of all, I should start by saying that I am really not in special need of any tweak because I am already getting very acceptable up to very good frame rates with my system and Fly2 patched upto the final patch!!!!Anyway, I am allways interested in investigating further down the details of "render.ini", and playing around with it's settings, and that is exactly why I am asking you the following:- On the TRI documentation of Fly2 there is a section devoted to the "art" of render.ini tweaking that starts by saying:===================================================================="Keep in mind that certain settings will not require changing regardless of the amount of video memory your graphics card carries.These settings are:< list of various render.ini settings including >< maxTexture64 and maxTextures64_565, maxTextures32,maxTextures128_565 and maxTextures1024 >=====================================================================Now, on this forum I have came across at least two render.ini examples, including one by RandallR and another by Tony, that alter some of those parameters, namely setting maxTextures64 at 110, etc...Now, since the same document by TRI mentions that these should not be altered because that might result in various problems, I am afraid of doing it on my own render.ini (although a backup of the original is ready for any emergency... )What's your oppinion? Should I go aehead and play with the Textures 64 at will???

jcomm,I would say go ahead and make alterations to this setting. I spent last night doing just that and made many changes to this and other settings with no ill effect. If you don't already have it there is an excellent explanation of the graphic settings in both "render.ini" and "fly.ini" available in the FlyII File Library titled "tweak_kit_for_flyII.zip".Give it a go, it's really the only way to find out. ;)Ken Brand.Perth, Western AustraliaFlying out of YPJT.

Remember this old saying: No Guts-No Glory! Go ahead and tweak that bad puppy!!Qdog

Guest Dean

You could easily spend more time messing with the render settings than it is worth. Your render settings are more or less dictated by the type of scenery you fly in so everyone's needs can be slightly different. I hardly give my render file a second thought other than when I see a drop in frame rates from what I normally expect to see. Then I'll tab twice to the texture slot page and see if one (xxx)is overloaded. If so, I'll play with xxx or xxx_565 to see which one needs a minor boost. In most cases it seems like only adjustments to the 128, 128_565, 256 and 256_565 slots have been necessary over the default render settings.

Many of the settings I use, including these:(Now, on this forum I have came across at least two render.ini examples, including one by RandallR and another by Tony, that alter some of those parameters, namely setting maxTextures64 at 110, etc...)are part of a render.ini supplied by PMDG for their Greek Islands scenery. I've found it a good all around starting point for flying in complex scenery.For flying in less demanding scenery areas you may find that settings closer to the original while playing with the slots mentioned by Dean will give you more performance.

Randall Rocke

Guest jcomm

Thank you All for your prompt replies!!!I have now what I might called - composed render.ini - based on parameters I got from various messages on this forum, and on documents found at the Avsim Library, and also on the measurements I did with the debugging data displayed in Fly2!I believe I have attained a VERY SATISFACTORY, to say the least, compromisse, and Fly2 with the 757 runs in 1024x768 16 bit at not less than 18fps!!! It goes up to the 40-50 when I start climbing.One thing that holds true for Fly2 with the Final Patch on my system, and not for other simulators like MSFS and X-Plane I have used before is that although your fps may vary, there is absolutely no stuttering now. The display is allways smooth as silk, so I should start forgeting about the debug data, and concentrating a lot more on enjoying the pleasures of flying it's outstanding sceneries and airplanes...

Guest product

Hello,Are those framerates (ie 40-50 when climbing) with or without the panel visible?Best,Joel

Guest jcomm

Afirmative! Climbing out of KSFO, heading NorthEast.Panel visible, including the MCP and main down to the half ND.System: P iv (socket 478) @ 2.0 GHz + Ti4200 128MB + 640MB RAM + WindowsXP Home edition.I have the AGP aperture size down to 32MB after learning that it should be reduced for systems with the ammount og graphics memory mine has (128MB).

Guest jcomm

Ah! But be aware that standing at RW28R threshold and on one of the external views, as I move unticlockwise until facing south, the fps drops to 18Very acceptable anyway...

Hello J.C.Very interesting! Why not post your render.ini here on the forum for others to try?Curtis