Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Does the Hawker FMC Work?

Does the Flight Management Computer (FMC) in the Hawker work? Is it a fully functional FMC or is it just for show?If it is a fully functional FMC, 1.) Where is the manual on how to use the FMC?2.) Are ther tutorials on how to use the FMC?3.) I would appreciate any documentation, saved flights scenarios, etc that demonstrate how to properly use the FMC?Thanks in Advance!The BeagleAMD XP 2100+ ProcessorWindows XP 512mb RAMASUS TI-4600 (Nivida) Video Card with 128mb RAM

It may not be fully functional but I had quite a few enjoyable flights in the Hawker using the FMC (but it was in FLY!2k). You can only enter data to FMC through the flight-planning screen (not the FMC keyboard). But it will then take the altitude crossings as well. Having completed this part I managed relatively easily to figure out how to connect the FMC with the autopilot and had both LNAV and VNAV working correctly (horizontal and vertical navigation). The FMC then displays correctly all the waypoints you cross and the remaining part of the flight plan. Again, it was in FLY!2k - whether it works in FLY2 I don't know.No, there is no full-blown documentation but there was a good tutorial available (again, for FLY!2k) that walked you through a typical flight like this.My only issue with the Hawker in FLY was its flight modelling - not too good. Rob Young later tried to improve it but I don't think Hawker's landing characteristics ever reached 'acceptable' behaviour. Therefore I stopped using it and switched to the King Air, probably the best aircraft FLY had to offer.Michael J.

As Michael has stated, the FMC has fairly good function in Navigation (the flight plan loads through the flight planner), but the other features were not implemented. One item that got "broken" a little was the flight plan screen's "updating". In Fly!2K, the flight plan would update the waypoint data automatically (ETA, etc.) as you flew. In Fly!II, the WPTs in the flight plan screen are stuck on the wrong time, but the NAV screen updates to the proper time and the FMC couples properly with the AP.If you can't find some of the original tutorials, I may have a listing some where on my home HD.I would also note that the Hawker in Fly!II performs well and is better in the approach and landing phases (will flair and settle fairly well).

Randall Rocke