Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

First Flight is revolutionary. Here's why

Guest tonyc

Wayne has made a fantastic discovery--something that we've known but until he did it, we simply did not focus on it.Fly2 has always had traffic capabilities. It, however, is bogged down with 4fps. This, we know, is caused by the many high pixel aircraft models, such as PMDGs aircrafts, that simply show up in the dynamic scenery and bog down the cpu. It seems to me that there should be a way to prevent these types of planes from showing up when FLY2 settings are set on "full dynamic" traffic. Am I on the right track?tony

Guest Hagar

In fly.ini, under the SIM header, try to set loadDefaultSceneryModels to the same value as numDynamicScenery. That way, the addon planes won`t get a chance to load.

Guest tonyc

Andrew, yes, it's true, but FLY2 does not distinguish a high-res model from a low res. So, if the render ini is not set to accept multiple 1024 x models, one gets the dreaded 4fps. The 1024 setting, of course, takes video memory from other areas in FLY2.tony

Guest Fly II Pilot

Tony:If Andrew's statement IS correct and Fly! II would limit the dynamic aircraft to the default models, I don't think you'd have a problem because I think Fly! II only uses the MED and LOW models for dynamic scenery.If this is not the case I've got a couple of ideas:- On the default aircraft, you delete the reference to the High-detail model in the .LOD file. Then create a duplicate of these models but with a different name which are the ones you'd use to fly.- You do the same as above but don't make a copy. You just tradeoff having a detailed model while flying in exchange for having dynamic scenery with which you CAN fly...Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest tonyc

Andrew was partially correct. Fly2 simply limits the number of aircrafts, not the types. So, this will work well with only default aircrafts. Unfortunately, as it stands right now, Fly2 will pick up any aircraft at random. When it picked up a high resoulion model, my fps rate dropped from 22 to 8. I went into the render.ini and increased the 1024 setting to 2. Sure enough, that same scene kept the frame rate steady. Of course, this was with only one high-res model. I suspect that if more models were to appear, the setting of 2 would have to be increased. You idea is excellent. I rather have dynamic scenery in the environment. I hope we can get a few more ideas on this subject.Thanks, Alejandro.tony

Guest Dean

Just to add my experiences to this thread, I don't run any third party or add-on A/C but I still encounter the 4 fps bug. Actually with newer hardware the bug is more like 8 fps but whose counting.:-) When I get hit with this a quick check of the debug screen shows 2 of the 1024 texture slots being used. For me, bumping that texture slot up to 2 doesn't seem to help. If I have 2 slots allocated, then the next time the bug hits, 3 are being used. It always seems to call for 1 more 1024 slot than I have allocated. I have proven, to myself anyway, that the problem is that Fly II is loading a hi-res version of one of the default A/C for dynamic scenery, not the low-res version it should be loading. The next time the bug hits, switch to an external view and change the view position so you can see the lights of the offending A/C and reference it's position to your A/C. Then call up the vector map and locate the same A/C on it. Double click on it and the A/C info will appear. Click on view, I think that is what it is called, and you will see a hi-res version of one of the default A/C. Do this same thing when frame rates are good and you will see a low-res version of the A/C.

Guest tonyc

So far, the setting of 2 on the 1024 in the render.ini seems to be working ok. I have not been able to get two airplanes taxiing, so I don't know what will happen once more than one plane appears. And you're right, it's 8fps, not 4 anymore. tony

Guest Hagar

I have not encountered the fps bug yet, but with a 128Meg video card there should be no problem increasing the 1024 slots just in case. I`d like to see at least one 757 flying now and then, but that depends on the ini file settings. With dynamicmodels=3 and load defaultmodels=2, for some reason I often get the 757 flying, never the Citabria...?