Sign in to follow this  

Mustang engine fails at FL140

Hi folks,when I fly higher than level 140 the engine makes a funny noise andfails!The carb. temperature is pretty low but the manual say that the carb.heat schould be off.But I think it`s an other simple reason, or?Bye

Guest rene_35

during the tests, we flew very often above this level (FL400) without problem if... we controlled the coolant and the carb temperatures.It's the reason we have written a page about this problem.It's one of the specific features of this aircraft and we had a big work to modelize it.Then, you need to control these gauges very often if you have a long climb or depending of external temperature conditions.Oh, don't forget to switch on another fuel tank (we have added a non standard gauges for that, in the real model, nothing to do this control, just ...the watch!).Then, if the engine stops during the flight, let control:- fuel- coolant T

Hi MikeairDid you notice that the tanks are 1/3 filled by default. The reason is that the aircraft is ready for some airshow and not for long distance. But you can fill it up for long trip. Check the fuel gauges at lower left panel.Jean

Hi,thanks for your reply.The problem is that I can`t restart the engine!Fuel: enough on board...but I`ve taken the checklist as a "guide", so it could only be afuel tank problem (I try other settings).regards,Mike

Hi,it wasn`t the fuel.Also when the oiltemperature is high enough, the engine fails!I`ve used the carb. heat and so I could climb on level 170 but thenthe noise - the failure.(the same noise like the Pa-18 when the oil temp is too low.)So I really don`t know what it is.Bye, mike

Guest rene_35

Hi Mike,Some shots about my last high level flight (above 39000 ft)http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e345eeb7df6df89.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e345f387f4f7317.jpgto avoid engine failure (carburetor iced), you must have RAM AIR closed in order to get hot air around the engine, not in the outside.If RAM AIR is open, at 17,000 ft, the engine begin to have problem because carb T

Hi Rene,thanks for your help.That was the problem. The RAM air was open.Regards, Mike