Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vulcho

Changing default zoom level? + What is most realistic?

Guest Vulcho

Hi all,I was wondering if there is a way to change the default zoom level to the most zoom-out one somewhere so it's zoomed out in all of my planes by default. I have found it more realistic that way rather than the normal cockpit zoom mode.Try flying in the most zoomed out level for a whole flight and change back to normal zoom on short final. To real pilots: Is that realistic (normal default zoom)?http://turnhead.com/dot/alex/banner-stroke.gif

Guest Mike20

Hi all yes I too would like to know what is the most realistic zoom as far as real flying thanks regards Mike

I use the default zoom level & shift-enter to push myself a little farther back in the virtual cockpits. This whole idea of zooming is a compromise & preference of the user. Nothing is truely realistic because of the retrictions of monitor size which limits peripheral vision. I even fly a lot of VFR flights by panning around in spot view! This isn't exactly "realistic", but at the same time, it allows a much more panaramic view of whats around you....just like in a "real" plane. Works better for spotting other aircraft also!!L.Adamson

Guest mberg

try .70 in the 2D view

I personally like anything between .8 and .5 zoom. Most of the times I use 0.5 (which is default for CFS2) because just a key stroke fixes it..regards,Kenji E. Victoriahttp://simcolombia.0catch.com

I use default zoom for 2D, and 0.60-0.65 for vc, depending on the plane.

You can search the old forum and find a very long thread on the subject. I made numerous calculations. The most realistic zoom is (depending on the airplane) in the range 0.65 to 0.75.Michael J.

I normally fly at about 0.6 90% of the time in VC (although I also leave the panel view at 0.6 as well)..... I occaisionally zoom into the VC to read a gauge, then back out again !!!

Guest Mike20

Thanks guys thats very helpfull will try these zoom settings I was not far out as I have been useing 0.5 so thanks for all the replys and regards to all Mike

For small planes, I use 0.60 for the 2D Panel view. For big jets, I use about 0.80 for the 2D Panel view.I use 0.75 for the VC in all planes.Don't know how realistic it is, but it gives me a good view and some sense of speed.And here's a question...normally when you press the key that is set to zoom in or out, it zooms out by .5. Is it possible to change that value to something else, like .1 for each "click"?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

>You can search the old forum and find a very long thread on >the subject. I made numerous calculations. The most >realistic zoom is (depending on the airplane) in the range >0.65 to 0.75. >The problem I run into............. is a valley surrounded by mountains. If I use .65 to .75, then the mountains appear to have shrunk & moved out about 20-30 more miles away. Therefor, regardless of calculations, it doesn't work for me. Still using default & CTRL Enter to move the VC panel a bit.L.Adamson

Guest Vulcho

Wow,Didn't expect to see so many replies overnight on this topic. I agree that it's really depending on what monitor you have and also personal likes as to whether or not you zoom in or out. I will try the zoom levels suggested from you. I never used the " Shift + - " keys but i do remember how they change the zoom.Thanks,http://turnhead.com/dot/alex/banner-stroke.gif

Larry,I better state that my calculations were limited to 2D panels only.Michael J.