Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

a newbie question regarding airports

Greetings all,This may be covered somewhere but for the life of me I can't seem to find the info so I was wondering if someone could give me a hand. I live in Canada and would like to fly to airports such as Vancouver, Calgary, and Regina (it is strange that Moose Jaw is in the DB and not Regina) but these airports are not in my default install of fly! II. Is there a way to add airports to the default database so they show up when creating a flight plan? If so, can someone point me to a resource where I can learn how to do this? Btw -you can probably tell by the above that I am completely new to the game, in fact I have never used a flight simulator before this one so any pointers would be appreciated :).

Weasel (are you sure that you want to be called that?),I'm not at home right now, so I can't run a check of the airport's list. First of all, make sure that you're patched up to v240 by following the posts at the top of the page. This will give you better searching capability with the flight planner, for one thing.You cannot include airports in the flight plan that are not included in the database. After you've become experienced with Fly!, you may want to learn how to edit databases and add and build airports - there is a bit of a learning curve but it can be very rewarding.

Randall Rocke

Regina is there!CYQR (I dont know that, I found it in the flight planner, just for proof)I am guessing you need to enable the display of ALL airports in the flight planner. Open the planner. Menu Options: Overlay Options There is a list on the left hand side of which airports to display. I think by default they arent all checked, only the larger airports are displayed. Check the next one down in the list from the top, and see if it shows up. If not, check the next one... etc.Additionally, instead of 'looking' for something on the map, if you know the name of waypoints etc you want to add to your plan, click the "Nav Log..." button at the bottom of the planner map screen. There are buttons there that allow you to add, delete, and move up/down waypoints. If you click add, it brings up the directory, which allows you to type in a name or id, and search the DB for it.Good luck,Brad

Thanks for the above tips although I won't get a chance to try them out until I get home from work. Just to field another couple of questions: 1. How can you tell where you are at an airport when it is dark? I know you turn on taxi lights etc, but when they tell you to use "runway ??" I have no idea how to find it.2. On the odd occasion I have attempted to move onto a ramp leading off the runway only to find that the road is not really there and I end in a big splash. Were these ramps not intended to be sturdy or is there a glitch in the game?3. If I became interested in editing the database is there any comprehensive tutorial available and if so where could I obtain it?As for the name weasel, it comes from a long standing screen name I have used for quite some time. It may not be a classy name :) but it gives someone an easy unoffensive (to me) name to call out in other games that I play.Thanks once again,Joel

Joel,As Johnny states, you can zoom. Open the Vector Map (Shift+M). You'll note that you can set the options so that this map is transparent - I recommend that highly. Under options, turn off "Use icons" - now, when you zoom in, you'll see all of the taxiways and runways and be able to follow your path as you taxi.Sometimes it's necessary to zoom in a little so that your airport is the only one showing - then toggle the Vector Map off and back on. The runways and taxiways should now appear and you can zoom in the rest of the way.As far as your "splash" in concerned, there are a few airports on coastal areas where the taxiways and/or runways are laid out on scenery tiles that Fly!II considers to be water, even though you "see" land - that's why you sink. This is frustrating and not easily repaired. Some of us are fixing a few of these over time (a rather complex process) and a few of these updates will eventually be posted.

Randall Rocke

Guest Dean

>1. How can you tell where you are at an airport when it is >dark? I know you turn on taxi lights etc, but when they >tell you to use "runway ??" I have no idea how to find it. If you used the flight planner to setup your flight and follow the proper comunication procedure with each controller in the proper order, atis, clearance and then ground, Fly will draw arrows on the taxiway for you to follow to the active runway.

Thanks once again, I've managed to figure it out. I was unable to get ATC to work with the original configuration. Any time I tried to access the information by pressing [ctrl]+[`] I would get the menu then I would choose an option, and I would get a second menu which looked like a list of airport IDs and then nothing after that (not sure and there doesn't appear to be any clue in the manual). No voice, no option for what type of request I would like to make, nothing. I installed clr4TO which at least works but glitches if I want to make two flights without exiting fly II and restarting (i.e. I am never able to contact the tower/ground control once I have landed). Overall the game has been great but it seems to suffer severely in the ATC area. Maybe its just me and someone has a fix for the above problem.Joel

Guest Dean

>Thanks once again, I've managed to figure it out. I was >unable to get ATC to work with the original configuration. >No voice, no option for what type of request I would like to >make, nothing. Joel,If your referring to the arrows that appear on the taxiways, I'm not sure what you mean by having it figured out. You won't get the arrows unless you successfully communicate with the factory ATC which you indicate you were unable to make work. I don't use CFTO but I do use the factory ATC. It isn't perfect but it's usable. Are you tuning the radio to the airport ATC frequency you're trying to contact?

Joel,Included with Fly!2K (not Fly!II) was a document in the HOWTO folder. This document was a PDF file named FlyBlast2.pdf - a newsletter copy that has a complete step-by-step procedure for using the built-in ATC. If you do not have Fly!2K and you want to use the default ATC in Fly!II, drop me an e-mail and I'll be happy to send it to you.Regardless of what ATC you use, you'll need to file a flight plan for each portion of your flight (lay out a flight in the planner) in order for them to function. If you use the default, you'll get guidance for taxiing (which C4TO doesn't do), FSS filing and ATIS, but it really isn't as realistic as C4TO in all other phases.C4TO is an IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) ATC and is very realistic in many phases. Unlike the default ATC, it can be used in and out of any airport and actually assigns proper runways based on windage - something the default cannot do (you'll get the same runway every time at that airport with the default). Yes, there are some weaknesses, but C4TO is the best thing outside of online flying on VATSIM, etc.Let me know if you would like the document for default ATC.Capvideo@columbus.rr.com

Randall Rocke