Sign in to follow this  

FLY! 2 on ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

I recently tried Fly! II on my new computer fitted with an ATI Radeon 9700 (Pro, I think). The reason I put Fly! to one side originaly, was that I had problems with it on my old computer (1.5Ghz P4 with GeForce 3). The Sim looked like it had a lot going for it with the stunning visuals, but when I fiddled with the AutoPilot on the PC12, it kept on crashing. That was with build 2.0.152, so I downloaded the patch available at the time (about a year ago), but no luck. Looking around on the AVSIM site, I came across an even later build, which got my hopes up. Now I am experiencing a major fault with the outside view (over the glare shield out of the cockpit). The scenery flickers like crazy, and my mouse curser leaves trails as I drag it across that part of the screen to select menu options. The pull down menus also stay on the screen sometimes. The inside of the cockpit looks fine, as do all the Windows I open, like the GPS, Map, and so on. I was wondering whether you guys know of this problem. Perhaps it is ATI's implementation of DirectX - I even tried loading new drivers off their website and DirectX9 Beta from MicroSoft. No luck. I would really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction, as I do not want to give up on Fly!

There have certainly been some problems with ATI drivers. The first thing I would check, however, is that this line in the render.ini file is set as follows vertexIndexFormat=0

Randall Rocke

Thanks Randall and Ken! No more jitters out in front. Fly! also seems to be a lot more stable - at least as far as the PC12 is concerned. I use a MS ForceFeedback 2 and I could feel the stabality as soon as I started rolling down the runway.Could not get it to crash (computer) yet Ken.

If you haven't already done so, download Rob Young's flight model fix for the Pilatus - it makes a big difference in handling, especially when descending (a more proper glide ratio).

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

aLSO IN RENDER .INI maxTextures32_565=20Jeff Akinsati all-in-wonder8500dv350mhz262mb ram30gb harddrive

Thanks Randall, I have located the Download you mentioned (it was very small). When I unzipped it, it recreated the FLY! installation Directory Structure and added "WORLD". Should I drag this folder "as is" to the Installation Directory? I did not see an original WORLD Directory there. Will Fly! see the update?There were three files in the WORLD directory: "PILATUS.PRP", "PILATUS.WHL", and "PILATUS.WNG"I peeked into the AIRCRAFT Directory, and only saw "PILATUS.POD", a fairly large file - 37.4Mbyte if I remember correctly.

You have the right idea, simply copy the WORLD directory and its contents into the root directory of Fly!II. Rob also made some great adjustments to the flight modeling of the "FlyHawk" - those files will go into the same directory.

Randall Rocke