Sign in to follow this  

I want to try FLY II but... need opinions from FLY and

Hello everyone. I tried to post about this and was told to post here and in the FS forum.Here is my dilemma. I have FLY 2K and it was given to me as a gift. I loved it as it was the one sim I had ever used. But I knew I was only able to use it on a basic level b/c anytime I tried to use terra server and all the various pathces and such, they never worked. The only thing I was able to do was use some of the planes found here.NOw I got my new computer and I wanted to get FS2k2. How is FS2k2 different from FLYII? Can someone tell me what you find are the advantages of using the FLYII? From what I heard one user say, there are lots of patches and bugs in FLYII and I just dont think I have all the know how to fix them if I were to use it. I guess I could have both? I hope to hear from users of both sims. What did you find to be the pros and cons of each? I thank you for your time. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Speaking as objectively as possible, there are enough differences and positive aspects to both products that I would advise you to get both platforms if it is within your means. Fly!II is available pretty cheaply if you look around.Fly!II: As you pointed out there are a lot of patches for Fly!II. There installation is tedious but straight forward and has been covered many times in detail on this forum. If you have difficulties, the people on this forum are generally happy to help. New Fly!ers are always welcome.Fly!II offers its own distinct perspective of flight that is valid and has some advantages over FS2002. Commercial add-ons by PMDG and Real Air Simulations demonstrate well what is possible.FS2002: The Microsoft platform has the obvious advantage of having a much larger community of users. This means more people creating freeware and payware planes and other enhancements. Some of them are quite good. FS2002 also has more consistantly attractive scenery throughout the world, and in general its visuals are a little bit sharper. While its physics engine is more limited, some of the latest commercial add-ons have gone a long way in expanding what is possible.Again, if possible get both sims. There is a lot to gain from each.

>While its >physics engine is more limited, some of the latest >commercial add-ons have gone a long way in expanding what is >possible. >Yes, some of the commercial add-ons have greatly expanded the possibilities of FS2002's flight dynamics. Even to the point of beating out IL-2 Sturmovik in some ways. I had ranked IL-2 at the top for simulated "single engine" flight dynamics.....out of the box.At the moment, I think "one" particular MSFS add-on aircraft, IS the BEST over all single engine simulated aircraft ever produced for the desktop simulator crowd. It's just capable of doing many manuvers outside of the regular "fly from point A to point B flight envelope" rather convincingly.I suppose I could also mention that this same development group had it's beginnings, with enhancing the flight characteristics of the original FLY aircraft, and partial envolvement with FLY II's.L.Adamson

Heh - potentially a bit topic, and I bet it's been discussed a lot, but here's my two cents (I own both sims, and to state my bias up front, I prefer Fly2, but respect FS2K2).The strongest aspect of FS2K2 is (IMHO) the sheer size of its user base. It also has a very nice "out of the box experience" - you buy it, install it, and poof, it's working very well with remarkably little prodding. The size of the user community gives it a huge selection of add ons (some of which are quite good, and some of which are crap).Fly, on the other hand, is a more high strung and finicky program - it takes some investment to really make it shine. (For instance, out of the box, the terrain visuals are very blurry - but it can be made to appear at least as sharp, if not sharper, than FS2K2). But when it shines, it shines very brightly. I'd assess Fly2 as a worse game, but a better simulator, if that makes any sense. The out-of-the-box aircraft in Fly model systems with much more fidelity than the 2K2 planes (although many add on planes are availble for 2K2 to correct this). There's a lot of personal preference here too; i really like Fly2's scrolling cockpits where _everything_ (or nearly so) works just by clicking on it, but others prefer the virtual cockpits from FS2K2, where much of the panel is nonfunctional or can't be mouse-interacted with, but the overall immersion factor is pretty high.It just comes down to personal preference. I'd recommend Fly2 for "hard core" simmers willing to invest some time and effort to make it sing, and FS2K2 for simmers who place a high priority on lots and lots of add ons. (Although to be sure, many of the Fly2 add ons are very well done - the ROTW planes are as good as any I've seen, even commercial offerings).Hope that helps you out!

Guest jcomm

I couldn't use Fly! or Fly2k! because my old system was a P2@120MHz. FS2000 and FS2002 junst tangencialy got installed. I have dedicated most of my sim time to PS1 and AS2, and I keep using AS2.When I got a new system, P4 @ 2GHz + Geeforce 4 128MB + 640MB RAM + Windows XP Home Edition, a all NEW WORLD revealed itself to me...I reinstalled fs2002, and all of the add-on products I had meanwhile bought: PSS AibusPro, PIC 767, DreamFleet 737, Flight1 Cessna 421 and Flight1 DC9.I never use freeware aircraft or scenery or instrument panel add-ons with MSFS products. FS2002, with the new performance provided by my system upgrade lasted a all three weeks on my disk. To the trash it went a few days latter, together with the add-ons (well, not to the trash - I offered it all to a 14 year old neighbour...)Back to AS2!IL-2, which I acquired about a year ago, is also another MUST. As a matter of fact, 90% of my flightsim time is logged on that sim!!!And... the day the Final Patch for Fly2 was released, I rushed finding the old install disks, went through the complete patching process, got some important documents from AVSIM which helped me tunning Fly2 to the best possible, got C4TO, InfoMetar, VolNav and FSBuild, and.... AND I FEEL LIKE FLYING FOR REAL!!!! Like never before.Why bother reinstalling FS2002 if all I have in Fly2 is all I could ask for? Me is ==== Fly2 + IL2 + AS2 (the "2" saga...)

FLY2 is a super "simulator" but lack some crucial things! A complete NAV database and airport for once!FS2002 a lot of things but mainly eyecandy (IMO) FS2002 does not feel right to me, but I use it because of nav and eyecandy. Remember eyecandy sell's If FLY2 had the same level (and better) eyecandy. then it would sell bigtime!henrik

Guest Dean

Others have described perfectly the reasons to have both. Even though they are both flight simulators there is enough different about each for both to appeal to me. I have to admit though, the SF260 is the main reason I use FS2002 right now. I've purchased a few A/C for FS2002 and so far only the SF260 has that certain feel that just seems right to me. I get that same feeling with almost all the Fly A/C, which shouldn't come as a surprise considering the common link in Rob Young. It seems FS2K2 developers have to result to some trickery to achieve certain effects because of limitations in the systems modeling. It has been minimized by some, but the more comprehensive systems modeling in Fly has it's advantages.

Guest WilliamD

Mirrodie--If you enjoy flying you really should have them both. Like someone else said, you can probably find Fly!2 in a bargain bin somewhere...so give it a whirl. While you're flying around in FS2002, you can take your time setting up Fly!2 - download all of the patches, download all of the ROTW aircraft (especially the new P-51), get Jure Dolanec's "big mamas", and Flyscripts! and Cleared for Take-off ATC replacement and one of the skytweaker replacements such as brightsky or bluesky, and download Rob Westhouse's "Chartpatch2.zip" to fix the default maps - and only fly Fly!2 just enough to test each new item out thoroughly and tweak your graphics settings. And don't try to compare it with FS2002.When you're ready for scenery, download the latest version of Terrascene and render a small area around your favorite US airport. Terrascene works beautifully now with Fly!2. You pick your area, tell it to render, and it downloads all of the data files, renders the day and night scenery and water map, and even starts up the Fly!2 slicer. Don't bother doing anything outside of the US, until you're proficient with the program and ready to invest a whole lot of time and effort, because data for the rest of the world is just not available yet. Then check in the Avsim library to see if there is any airport scenery that you can download for your area. Wayne Roberts has done a ton of good stuff - just search on his name. If you can't find anything that suits you, download Terramodels and roll your own. And if there's some add-on airport in FS2002 that you'd really like to have in Fly!2, download FS Importer and see if it will convert.When you reach this point, and you're really old, start up Fly!2 at your favorite airport and take your favorite aircraft for a spin. Set up a flight plan, and some of those "big mamas" and sit inside, and play with all the switches, and fire up the engine, open up the vector map, contact ATC by activating Cleared for Take-off, find your location on the map, check your GPS unit, and say a little prayer for Richard Harvey.And don't forget what Yogi said..."When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

The differences are huge but they are primarily in the visual areas. That's good because you should be able to go to the screenshot forum look at hundreds of posts and decide which sim looks best for you.Michael J.

And if you do, might I humbly recommend some Fly2 shots that I posted a few days ago :)HTTP://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47 (These are from Terrascene - you can render terrain like that for anywhere in the USA more or less automatically, and also for other countries with a bit more work to find the right sort of input data).BTW,those shots are reduced resolution - the originals in 1024x768 with no jpeg compression looked a lot crisper.

There IS a complete NAV/WPT database for Fly!2k/Fly!II.Look in my uploads!Its about 6 months old. But...I just finished creating another set to upload last night. This set includes FAA wpts as well, and is the current AIRAC cycle valid up until I think the 19th of Feb. So the 'very few' wpt's you'ld have found missing in the previous data, are here!Havent uploaded it yet, because I am hoping to separate the files by either continent, or 'area' (erm, for example, just the US updates as a single file) due to the amount of time it takes to run deximport on these files.