Sign in to follow this  

Operating System Comparison

My question would be: Why are you posting this comparison in this forum When FlyII wasn`t even used as one of the flight sims???

>My question would be: Why are you posting this comparison in >this forum When FlyII wasn`t even used as one of the flight >sims??? My...are we having a bad day or what?Chill out dude!Tony in Miami

Guest Dean

Interesting article. Tom's Hardware did a similiar comparision of operating systems from a gaming perspective and arrived at similar conclusions. It seems they all feel the stability of XP is worth the trade off of the few fps advantage of 98SE. Kind of ironic since people in the fly sim world spend hundreds of dollars just to gain a few fps. I'll convert to XP when they pry my cold, dead finger off the reset button! :-lol

Sorry Tony I didn`t mean for that to sound so harsh. Just thought that maybe the AVSIM discussion form would have been a better place to post your findings.Qdog

Thanks for the link, Tony. Interesting reading.I like that site and had not been there in a while.I've been contemplating a change in my sim-box. I think I'll stick with 98SE and look at a new processor/mobo.Keeping warm? :)Jim in NJ

Qdog, my reasoning to post this here is, because a lot of people, myself included still use W98SE, and by converting it to W98lite we can squeeze out that last bit of FPS in any game/simulator.Tony in Miami

Interesting data. I switched over to XP Pro some time ago and I would have to say that my performance in Fly!II increased from day 1. The system's been much more stable and my frame rates improved immediately. To be fair, I had also upgraded processor and memory, so all of that needs to be taken into account.

Randall Rocke

"I'll convert to XP when they pry my cold, dead finger off the reset button! "I'll second that emotion....errr motion! :-hah :-hah :-hahhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/cadillac43/dedication.htmlhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/cadillac43/takeoff.gifTonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP OS.Win 98

Not to be argumentive but I ran tests on my own system using both 98, WINME and also WIN XP home for FLYII. I noticed no difference in performance between the OS systems for FLYII.I actually had XP on my system-reformated my computer, installed ME, no difference. Reformated my computer installed 98 and again no difference in FPS. So I went back to XP.However, I did get better performance in FS2k2 with Windows ME compared to XP. Yet, at the time I had a crappy SoundBlaster card that had bugged windows XP drivers that killed my performance. When I changed to a cheap $20 sound card I got performance in XP comparable to ME and 98, but I never ran benchmarks since I got the new card.Since then I got a new computer and motherboard and sound and have tried ME, 98 and XP Home with FLYII and get the same performance so I am just sticking with XP. As you can see from some of the benchmarks in the link that some programs were better on XP and some worse. So in my opinion, if you have XP use it or stay with it. But if you have the other OS your not going to see much FPS improvement by shelling out the cash for Win XP. Your much better off putting the $$$ in hardware. Just remember that on my system with my settings for FLYII I had no change in performance, but it may be different for others.