Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

AIRAC Cycle 0301 Nav/Wpt Update

Im close to uploading Nav/Wpt database updates for the time from my previous upload until the end of the current cycle (Feb 19, 2003). I've included the FAA data this time, so the few (very few) missing wpt's on approach charts I've found, are now included.Im wondering how most people would prefer the data be released.Divided by country? (Realise though that this means to import it all yould have to import 300+ separate files (twice, once for wpts, once for navs), but for those of us who only fly in a single country (for example the US, it wouldnt clog the database full of unneccesary data.Divided by area? (4 separate areas for North America (Canada+Greenland/US/Mexico+Central America/Caribbean), 3 separate areas for Europe (West/East/Scandanavia), 2 areas for South America, 3 areas for Africa, 2 areas for Asia, Australia, and Oceana?Divided by continent?The other thing Im debating on, is should I release a full database, or only updates which occurred since the previous upload?Would some people be interested in me uploading podded databases, all the importing already done? (which means if you've downloaded and imported other peoples dex's, you'ld have to reapply them.)Cast your vote and help me decide...Brad

Hi Brad,1. I would love to see the NAV Database updated in the form of a POD. 2. One idea, if you don't mind my sharing, would be to instead create a "How To" lesson one can download and make the "current" waypoint changes into Fly!II themselves. The utilities with a link (or if possible include the utilities) and where the data can be attained and of course your expertise in how to do this is possibly another option you may want to look at. 3. Or... maybe do both. Include a "How To" with the POD (assuming a POD is the way you decide to go). This way the user is then responsible for any future updates he or she may want.

Guest marcao

>Im wondering how most people would prefer the data be >released. Whatever be, it's good to me.>Would some people be interested in me uploading podded >databases, all the importing already done?For me would be great, the best choice!Regards, :-beerchugMarco Antonio SilvaBrazil

Brad,As I do a lot of DB-editing and repairing, I would prefer regional DEXs. I have made many adjustments and corrections for navaids and some waypoints (though ILS and localizer-fixing is my main area) and would prefer to not have them over-written by a pod replacement. I will eventually make packages that will allow persons to use my fixes and adjustments with just a few DEXs, so they will eventually be able to put them back in (without running a hundred files).Another note - import of a missing or inappropriately placed TACAN will give you a nonfunctioning DME - the Fly!II user will end up with a VOR but no DME signal. In order for the TACAN to work properly in Fly!, it must be replaced by a VOR/DME.Thanks for helping with these updates!

Randall Rocke

Thanks for the replies guys!> As I do a lot of DB-editing and repairing, I would prefer > regional DEXs. Im still working on the ability to split them by continent and area. Basically I've had to go through, by hand, look the country up on the web, and record which continent/area it was in, I've yet to adjust my code though.> I have made many adjustments and corrections > for navaids and some waypoints (though ILS and > localizer-fixing is my main area) and would prefer to not > have them over-written by a pod replacement. Can you merge your updates with VolEdit and reapply them? (I mean, either way, youre looking at either hours of mulling through my updates to exclude those you dont want, then apply my filtered updates (took me 3 1/2 hours to do them on 400Mhz machine). Would it be quicker for you to merge yours and apply them to a prebuilt pod,ensuring your updates over-ride mine? > In order for the TACAN to work properly in Fly!, it must > be replaced by a VOR/DME. I havent altered any of the ILS database yet. So are you reassigning EVERY navaid with a type of 5.. to 17, or only certain ones? Is the same true for Fly!2k?Any other tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the response. I need some ears to bounce this stuff off. ThanksBrad

>Hi Brad, >>1. I would love to see the NAV Database updated in the form >of a POD. >>2. One idea, if you don't mind my sharing, would be to >instead create a "How To" lesson one can download and make >the "current" waypoint changes into Fly!II themselves. The >utilities with a link (or if possible include the utilities) >and where the data can be attained and of course your >expertise in how to do this is possibly another option you >may want to look at. Uhm, not feasable. The source data isnt readily available, and even if it eventually is, then people would have to download hundreds of megabytes of data each month. I did wish for that originally, but alas... its just not as easy as that sounds, trust me.This will, though, be the last 'full' update I believe. After this time, it will only be small incremental updates. (Well, for atleast one of the source databases, blah, its all a headache you dont want to venture into, trust me! :)

Brad,My responses below:>Can you merge your updates with VolEdit and reapply them? >(I mean, either way, youre looking at either hours of >mulling through my updates to exclude those you dont want, >then apply my filtered updates (took me 3 1/2 hours to do >them on 400Mhz machine). Would it be quicker for you to >merge yours and apply them to a prebuilt pod, >ensuring your updates over-ride mine? I am in the process of combining all of my original DEX uploads into two sets: North America, and Eurasia. It's taking a little time as some of the fixes were customized to handle specific problems in Fly! and I need to separate them out into folders with documentation explaining the options. Once this is finished I will post them on Avsim and have all of the original fixes removed. That should make it a lot easier for those who have applied these updates to replace them in a short period of time if they are wiped out by replacing their pods with yours. On second thought, using new pods, in your case, sounds like the best approach.>> In order for the TACAN to work properly in Fly!, it must >> be replaced by a VOR/DME. >>I havent altered any of the ILS database yet. So are you >reassigning EVERY navaid with a type of 5.. to 17, or only >certain ones? Is the same true for Fly!2k? Tacan repair was one of the many items on the list for the Beta Team, but when Rich's health began to fail, he concentrated on other areas, though a lot was accomplished in the area of navaids and ILS components, especially with Identifier Codes, standalone DMEs, etc.Basically, a Component Type of 5 will give you a working VOR, identified properly as a TACAN, but with no functioning DME, which of course, is an important part of a real TACAN. Because of this, I am replacing every TACAN I come across that has a DME component in the real world with a VOR/DME Type 17 (or Type 1/Type 16 if the DME is not colocated). This gives the user the same performance as the real world item and allows them to shoot the IAs that require DME. I don't go out scanning the entire DB for such items - when I come across that situation when flying an approach for the first time, I fix it, saving the fixes for future uploads.

Randall Rocke

Whoops!!! I was half asleep when I made the above post. The following statement is incorrect:Basically, a Component Type of 5 will give you a working VOR, identified properly as a TACAN, but with no functioning DME, which of course, is an important part of a real TACAN. Because of this, I am replacing every TACAN I come across that has a DME component in the real world with a VOR/DME Type 17 (or Type 1/Type 16 if the DME is not colocated).It should read:...a Component Type of 5 will give you a working VOR, identified properly as a VORTAC, but with no functioning DME, which of course, is an important part of a real TACAN. Because of this, I am replacing every VORTAC I come across that has a DME component in the real world with a VOR/DME Type 17...

Randall Rocke