Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

A litte California High Sierra spin....(long)

Guest Boone

Just wanted to share a fun little flight a took last night with you.....I downloaded and installed Lee Steffensen's Sierra Nevada upgrade (w121n39.zip) and Matt Fox's California Land Class (lc_cav2.zip). I booted up the old Flight Simulator and set up a departure from Lone Pine.Knowing this area pretty well I was amazed at the improvement these two additions made! On my left was the eastern side of the High Sierra (the profile wasn't quite right - I couldn't make out Mt. Whitney for example) and to my right were the Alabama Hills, majestic and rolling with with a dry and desolate appearance. The landclass creates a much more accurate look that is quite amazing, different color soils for different vegetation. it really felt like I was actually there.My flight was one of pure sceneic joy. I took off heading north and then took a left towards the Whitney Range. I flew over the highest peaks, two or three hundred feet above their highest points. The elevation was spot on as I was a little under 15,000 feet. I looked back down the valley towards Lone Pine, 10,000 feet below, and was blown away as memories came flooding back to a time when I climbed this puppy.Once over the ridge the lush Western slopes of the High Sierra were revealed. Intermitant lakes popped up here and there with lost valley's providing some low level excitement. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking. I can honestly say I was in awe! How could this be rendered so well by a computer!? I turned north-east towards Bishop which was never really noticeable in FS2K2 until the Land Class update. I followed Highway 395 up towards Mammoth and once again the accuracy was astonishing to say the least.My flight continued like this until I landed up at Lake Tahoe. It was one of my most memorable experiences from Flight Simulator. An absolute pleasure and a treat for the eyes. (Especially as I don't have the pleasure to get there as I often as I used to)Tonight I will fly south from Lone Pine to Los Angeles, after I install Gerrish Gray's new tree's. I can not wait to zip down low over the Sequoia National Forest and fly across Mojave towards the San Gabrielle's. Oh the joy's of this great hobby!!!Thanks for reading..... and kind regards,Boone

Hi Boone,What a wonderfully evocative post. You've summed up what I still find the most absolutely, incredibly, fantastically fascinating aspect of MSFS2K2 - the ability, with Landclass, terrain mesh and the selfless generosity of the FS community, to tour the world by air from your armchair. It really is magical - I too have often paused my PC, sat back and marvelled at the spectacle. I love the Western US landscape, live 8000 miles away, but can (and do!) tour it by air every evening. We're so lucky - we can see places we can never visit, only dream of. Post your next installment soon!

Guest RobA

Thanks for that story! Having climbed Mt. Whitney myself just out of high school, I was amazed like you at the accuracy of it all in fs2k2. I've all the same files for this area as you do. Living in Redding, CA to the west of Mt. Lassen and south of Mt. Shasta, I can pick out individual mountains by their shape. Great fun.Best, Rob[table border=2 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td]http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td]Beta tester for Radar Contact] the premier ATC adventure add-on for FS

Hey Rob-my favorite place in the world is Lake Almanor-do you know the area?-my favorite place in the world.The Deb's flown there twice-including a hop to Redding for an ils repair. (Climbed Lassen 2x) and a few other sierra peaks but never Whitney.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest SoarPics

Hi Geof,Before the Forest Service became such a strong presence there, I used to fly sailplanes out of Chester quite often. That part of the world is a gem. Made one memorable flight out of Chester to Stead and return. Hard work getting over the Sierra crest twice, but well worth it. Places like Quincy, Blairsden, Sierraville, and Loyalton made the flight special.Still haven't been able to fly the Deb. I'm waiting to receive a new flight controller, and I just can't bring myself to try flying her with the keyboard. Seems sacrilegious to me. Thanks to you all in advance for the masterpiece.Regards,

I also flew into Quincy-that little mountain on the downwind is cool.I've only been in a sailplane once but would love to get a rating sometime. Going from Quincy to where you did must be the ultimate challenge-not to mention beautiful.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif