Sign in to follow this  

Question for all Flyers!

>I'd really rather have a few planes, but planes which are >simulated with the attention to systems detail that you >find in Fly, than 483 gazillion planes none of which I am >happy with. I pray exactly the same mantra but reached different conclusion - MSFS is the one that gives me the above. I don't care about 400+ mediocre downloads - never bother to download them - but some few aircraft that are available for FS (767PIC or Flight1's Meridian) simply are in a class of their own with no equals even in the FLY world. Michael J.

Guest Mike94

Hi,i always used both sims, and FS9 will not change this. FlyII is still the 'sim of my heart' and its still developing well.Cheers,Michael

Hi All, This may be off subject but I still remember at the end of my first hitch in the ARMY AIR CORE ( part of the Army ) in 1949 just before I got out, I had a friend who worked at the base flight Simulator , which was the size of a small room, Well I talked him into letting me get in it one week end and was I amazed !! after a while I got out and asked him how I had done and he said " Not bad except for one minor thing, You were about 500 feet underground !" Something I will never forget ! Some years later, 80 something I enjoyed my first computer sim on a TI99A which showed just a glimpes of graphices durning the whole program. Well I was Thrilled to near death !! Since coming to the IBM and FS and then FLY from the start I really can't explain what has transfored but It is and will be a kick that I can't ever explain !!!! I keep all my billing for computer related expense in a folder and have told my wife that when I dye she should look in there too find out what I spend my money on, (NO OTHER VICES !)KEEP FLYING GUYS !!!TONY

Fair enough - good reply. I think some of my opinion arises from me not having stumbled across the very best planes for MSFS. I've looked at around two dozen (not including the two you mentioned - both commercial I think?), so I could easily have never seen the best ones.Part of my dislike of the MSFS planes are the popup instruments. I really like Fly's scrolling panel scheme, where you can see and interact with everything and it's all in the right place. The default planes coming with MSFS, and the PD ones I have downloaded, it seems like nothing really "works" on the panels, and you can't see the entire panel to get a sense of the location of various controls. In Fly, I feel like I could hop into a real live Piper Navajo or Kingair and instantly know where to find everything. I don't get that (so far) from MSFS. Also I find the virtual cockpits to be a gimmick, since almost nothing works in them.But I'll take your word that there are far better ones available than what I have seen. That sim hasn't "grabbed" me enough yet for me to buy commercial add ons for it, but maybe someday it will, or there will appear some good PD planes with scrolling cockpits that I can check out.And I think the MS sim is a good bit more "solid" than Fly. It just seems to work with very little prodding and coaxing required. I have to talk very nicely to Fly :) so I understand why the MS sim is much more popular.

Yeah, the two I mentioned are commercial products.But scrolling cockpits is something that only FLY has. Even the 2 products I mentioned must play some "tricks" to show all the key instrumentation. However I find scrolling cockpits to be only an asset during preflight procedures. Once flying I have no time to scroll - I would rather use FLY's programmable views - which is equivalent to what you do in MSFS.Michael J.

Guest ben_

"..I keep all my billing for computer related expense in a folder and have told my wife that when I dye she should look in there too find out what I spend my money on, (NO OTHER VICES !) " :-)

I'm going to continue Fly!ing for a while still. I suppose I'll be forced to "leave" Fly! at some stage now that the core is simply not renewed.However, I am looking with suspense into FlightGear (www.flightgear.org) which is an open-source alternative to MSFS, and to Fly! of course. It has a long way to go, but I'm quite fascinated by what they've done already with it.That was a side issue, but I still felt for saying it. :) BTW, FlightGear can be ran on many platforms, including Mac OS, Windows and Linux.Dave (David Vuorio)