Sign in to follow this  

Question for all Flyers!

Hi Fly!ers,After read some news from Microsoft with so many improvements (weather, aircraft, real GPS, etc.), I'm wondering what will hapen to Fly! when the next FS will be released. Will ROTW team continue to bring the best aircrafts for Fly!ers? Are YOU change to FS franchise and put Fly! II on the shelves?Well, unfortunately I'm not sure. Maybe I will take my project ahead developing my brazilian scenery package, after all I'm Fly! user since day one and have all the tools (or almost all) to make great scenarios, but in the future with so many FS advantages over Fly!, who knows?Will be the end of Fly! II ? :-(Keyton Cabralhttp://www.aerovirtual.com.br

Guest Josve

I can only speak for myselves Keyton! And IMHO Fly2 brings a different experience compared to FS.I can say I will continue to have Fly2 as my nr1 sim.And I really don't see why we should give up this great sim just because MS releases another FS version.......Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/zone.jpg ][/div

Same as Johnny, Fly! has been different from the first day, so for me no reason to change.rgdsCesar/Venezuela

Same as Johnny, Fly! has been different from the first day, so for me no reason to change.rgdsCesar/Venezuela

Keyton,You ask a valid question, but in my opinion, so long as developers like yourself continue adding to and improving Fly 2, it will go on. I have only recently been turned on to this software after exclusively using MSFS since version 3.0. (1988) From my short time with Fly, I've come to realize that it actually fills a role ignored by MS. While MSFS prides itself on stunning eye-candy, Fly seems to pay more attention to the details of aircraft operations and procedures. Don't get me wrong, I love FS2002. I think it set the bar for simulated scenery up a few notches. When flying purely for fun, I prefer to use FS2002. When I want to practice procedures, or check out an upcoming route, Fly is now my sim of choice. Since FS2004 appears to be merely a patch up from FS2002, I'll more then likely stick with FS2002. So, to answer your question from my point of view, Fly will continue to be a viable sim.John

For me FlyII has it all.OK we fly only a few planes when compared to MSFS2002 as said before it may have the eye candy we all love, but step back a bit.A house is built brick by brick, and we have the rare privalidge of having a part of laying those "bricks".Its up to our imagination to keep it going, and it will.One thing is for sure, and Rich agreed with me, we have a hell of a friendship going here, and we are all learning more things about FlyII from day to day.Im glad that there will be more choice, and so there should as we are living through a slump in the flightsim and aviation world. Im sure I will upgrade to the next Microsoft installment but I too will always have FlyII on my hard drive.Not that long ago we never had FS imp and other fantastic programs, wow remember whats ahead for panel makers, new helicopters,planes and scenery.You never know what each of us have up our sleaves ;) All The BestSteve[/div] [align=center]http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.jpg][/div

Guest jjlobo

Keyton and all,From my perspective, Fly!, whatever version, is a matter of passion. In my case I'll stop Fly! only when it doesn't run in new platforms. Even though, I'll try to keep a good platform, up and running, that supports Fly.I'm looking forward when I have more time. I've started to study the development of a Fly Development suite, combining, all together, the available tools to develop models, airplanes, panels, sceneries, ELEVATIONS, COAST LINES, etc.I'm also sure MSFS will grow and grow in terms of facilities, available add-ons, so on and so forth. However, passion is passion. For example, I liked airplanes when I was a little boy and my father was a captain of a DC6 and then Constellation, and then Convair 990A. When I got my pilot license I enjoyed navigation using only VORs and NDBs. I do prefer to fly old machines with such "limitations" but that made aviation a lovely thing for me.Fly conquered my hart. Passion is passion.....___ JJLobo ___55 11 37268158

Guest marcao

Like many others, I am here from day one, after having used the FS since Apple II's version. FS2K was the last I have installed in my computer, and Fly! is still my first simulator. I have to agree: Passion is passion :-) Regards, :-beerchugMarco Antonio SilvaBrazil

Well... it's conceivable that far enough into the future, I will move to MSFS. Eventually the core technology of Fly will fall behind with no active development. Heck, I'm not flying my TRS-80 Sublogic sim any more - It works as well now as it did then, and my TRS-80 still runs :) but it has fallen so far behind that it no longer interests me.But, that time looks to be a while into the future yet. Every time I go back and revisit MSFS, it doesn't come close (IMHO) to being the sim that Fly is. I think it is a better game than Fly, but Fly is a better sim.I'd really rather have a few planes, but planes which are simulated with the attention to systems detail that you find in Fly, than 483 gazillion planes none of which I am happy with. I don't even download repaints for Fly, since I have no interest in looking at the planes from the outside. Every time I download an add-on plane for MSFS, I just don't feel like I'm flying that plane like I do in Fly2. But they do look very pretty, that's for sure!Someday, I imagine, that will change, and MSFS will support the systems simulation of Fly. Then I'll have to move because Fly2 has fallen behind in other ways. But not just yet :)However, I do wish that Fly was a bit less high-strung. I love it, but I often swear at it too :)madmax

Guest Javier

The day I will use MSFS 20xx is when MS reaches the bar that FLY! set long time ago...And MSFS is trying to catch up, just look at them, they are talking about "amazing" clouds, transparent clouds, Weather that updates automatically when connected to the Internet....:-roll , 'been there, done that...The more MSFS improves the more I remember Richard Harvey, FLY really set the high standards for a GA Flight sim. I would dare to call it the "Falcon 4" of the GA sims.How long will FLY live? It depends on us ( the Flyers ), the add-on developers, and finally on MSFS.. yes, MSFS.. but at the pace they're going looks like FLY will live forever.. and I like that!I Agree with everybody, MSFS is a great flight sim, I use it since it was Sublogic for Aple until MSFS98. MSFS has great liveries, several airplanes, sceneries! and sometimes interesting things that has nothing to do with a flight sim, it is both Eye Candy and Fun ! but I consider it more as a game not a sim like FLY! ...I respect those who use MSFS as their favorite sim, they might see things that I cannot find on it, that's why I'll stick with FLY II! and will try to contribute to the community as much as I can.Regards.Javier

Guest chezz

I believe FLY's potential has not been fully explored yet (example of this is the FSI, I never thought it possible to convert FS scenes, to FLY but somebody just did it, who knows AIRCRAFT and other features of the other sim can be converted as well). But given what it is now (and if it remains as is), IMHO generally this sim is at par if not more advance in some respect compared to the existing sims available. The new & powerful systems available now e.g. processors, video cards are making the FLY2 experience more enjoyable (have you noticed the difference when you upgrade your system?). chrisphilippines

MY opinion in a few short sentences.......I use both sims------Feeling of flight------ FLYII looks and feels great while peering down upon scenery such as SoCal photo-real, but.......RealAir's (Rob Young) Marchetti SF260 for FS2002 "walks" over ANY flight model of FLY for that seat of the pants flight feeling!! It even beats out IL-2 Sturmovik in certain manuvers.I still prefer FLY's panel graphics over those of MSFS. Just seem much more crisp. The new ROTW P-51 Mustang is an excellent example of this.As to scenery, the default FLY scenery is rather dismal in comparison to MSFS, but scenery such as SoCal looks much better than MSFS from altitude. Once again, as with the panels, it's just crisper with better graphics.Systems....... At this point, MSFS with 3rd party additions is gaining much ground. Just look at the Piper Meridian from Flight 1 as an example. I doubt FLYII has much to keep up with it.Pic.... a little engine "out" in the ROTW Mustang..L.Adamson

Guest Roy

Just a quick question.Wouldn't the propeller be "windmill'ing" even after an engine-out?Or is the engine to big to crank with airpressure alone?If it just stops dead in the air like that I guess the effect on the plane will be quite noticeable :-)(And shame on me, but I haven't gotten around to try this bird yet :-) )Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

A prop will windmill for awhile, if it can't feather (which single engines normally don't do). And as I remember, this one windmills too, along with those in MSFS. Just get the plane to the point of around stalling speed to finally stop rotation.L.Adamson