Sign in to follow this  

Finally succumbed to FLY!2- now what?

After years with FLY!2K and all the addons, the local computer store was clearing FLY!2 for under 10 US$. Couldn't resist that...So here I am with the not so new sim. I realize that it's a basic platform which can only be brought to its full potential with the great addons made by the FLY! community.To do that, I need some answers.1. I have the European version-2.0.197. I understand I need the patch 4 to bring it up to 250. Then do I need the final patch, or should I not bother if FLY runs wll on the 250?2. I can't stand the sky and sea colours. Any good suggestions on what files to get to improve the looks?3. Is the visibility still an issue. I notice that max vis is only 10 mls!?, even though the options page can give you 60??4. Right now the flight modelling isn't too good. I've seen some files that correct all kinds of system bugs such as ILS capture etc. Do the official patches correct the flight modelling, or is that thanks to the FLY community?5. Can FLY!2K scenery and aircraft files be used with FLY!2?FLY! still occupies a big warm space in my heart. Help me make the best of it.Thanx in advance.Eytan

Hi Eytan,I'm using a sky package called "Skyfire20", from the file library. I'm quite happy with it: see my screenshots here: pics for some pics.For water, I don't like the stock water either - it's much too reflective. You can either turn of water effects in the "scenery" menu, or better yet, leave them on but go into Fly.ini and edit your water transparency - I find setting to about 150 looks good. The water in my screenshots above was taken with that setting. You can fine tune it to taste.Visibility should go to 60 miles. It's in the scenery tab I believe. I have no trouble with this.Hope that's useful!

Thanks for the suggestions.I'm curious, your screenshots 2 and 3 show a winding river. Is this from an addon scenery, as I believe FLY!2 has little or no inland water features as rivers and lakes.

L.What scenery file is this. I love the coastline- it looks a lot better than the default drowned coasts.Eytan

SOCAL for Fly2 by Matt Fox.These shot's are from last year, but here is another one.

Hi - the scenery is Terrascened Washington state, near Seattle. I made myself a whole pile of terrascened terrain a while back. It's less "bland" than the default terrain, I think (but still not as good as that SOCAL scenery above, which looks like it must have been based on orthophotos).madmax

Did you upload this scenery to Avsim's FLY!II library?Searched for it there, and couldn't find it.Would love to have in in my sceneryEytan

The scenery itself is probably too big to upload, but I could upload the terrascene project files if you want.madmax

Hi Eytan,The project files are not very big. There is one per grid tile, and they are 76 Kb per. There are about 24 of them for WA state, and I have another 15 or so in Oregon. I'll package up the WA state ones and try to get them uploaded this evening. I've modified the Terrascene settings a little bit from the defaults.In the meantime, to wet your whistle here are some more screenshots from a flight I did last night from YKM (Yakima) to CLM (William Fairchild INTL): Yakima, WA

Mouth watering pics!I can't wait, as I'm sure a lot of others can't.Hope to fly around Washington state very soon.The only equivalent to this quality scenery is Megascenery Pacific NW for FS2000, which covered southern B.C., northern Oregon, and most of Wash. They were going to have a version for FLY!, but FLY! wasn't a big enough market for them, so they dropped the project. Here's a pic from that one. I think your pics are superior.Thanks for your efforts.Eytan

Ok, I just uploaded it, so with any luck, it should appear in the file lib in a day or so!Also I attached some full sized (10x7) screenshots to the upload.

Nice, got the project files and started Terrascene, which started d/l-ing a bunch of DEM, ULC can DLG files... at the end it started working, then complained about swarm-bog.jpg not available....Must be the bunch of files mentioned in the tsp file. Now where can I get these??????? (and where to put em?)