Sign in to follow this  
Guest Roy

runway lights setting

Guest chezz

where do I set the runway lights visibility e.g. VASI, taxiway lights, runway lights. I understand VASI should be visible 3-5 miles during the day and 20 miles or more at night (can this be tweak in the fly.ini and what's the correct setting). chrisrpll

Guest Josve

Try this Chris!Put it in your Fly.ini under Graphics I think.viewableTaxiwayPavementDistance=50000 viewableTaxiwayLightDistance=300000 markingTotalFadeOutDistance=30380 viewableTaxiwayHeight=100000 viewableTaxiwayMarkingDistance=3000runwayLightFogPenetration=1000lightScalarDusk=50lightScalarDawn=50lightScalarDay=100lightScalarNight=25runwayLightDistanceFadeMinFeet=12152runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxFeet=30380runwayLightDistanceFadeMaxRatio=75lightIntensityStandard=0.500000lightIntensityCenterline=0.500000lightIntensityTouchdown=0.500000lightIntensityALSF=1.000000lightIntensityRAIL=2.000000lightIntensityVASI=3.000000lightIntensityREIL=3.000000lightIntensityTaxiway=0.070000Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/zone.jpg ][/div

G'day Johnny,height = 100000 = 16.4 Nautical miles updistance = 300000 = 49.2 nautical miles awayOk come clean; have you got a U2 for Fly! II hidden away somewhere on your hardrive. :-lolCheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Josve

Hello Roger!Theese are the setting described in the Fly2 faq :)I dont remember who came up with them because it's so long ago.It was after the patch before last I think.Don't all use theese settings?? It was so much talking here in the forums about how great theese settings was.Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/zone.jpg ][/div

Johnny,These capabilities to extend the viewable distance of taxiway lights, runway lights and approach lights was a part of the v230 patch, I believe, which is also now included in the v240 patch. It is a good thing to be able to adjust these settings, and Chris can get most of the results he wants for VASI, etc. by adjusting them. There is more info on these settings posted in the Readme incorporated with the v240 installation.However, whoever posted these settings originally wanted to be able to see all the lighting from quite a distance. When they posted some images, others liked the effect, so his settings were included in a FAQ - however, they are, in some parts, extremely unrealistic - I do not use these settings as taxiway lights would not normally be that visible until just before touchdown. I have played around a little with runway and approach lighting visibility, though the out-of-the-box patch settings were pretty good.

Randall Rocke

G'day Johnny, The unit for all those measurements is " feet ". Hey ! just my pathetic attempt at humour :-)If you like those settings then what the heck! , that's all that matters. :-) ( don't let me or anyone else influence you otherwise ) Whoever posted those settings was just trying to emphasise the displaying of the taxiway lighting probably for a posted image.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest chezz

Actually, i tried josve's suggested setting and they are seemingly too glaring you can't even see the vasi on approach because of the green and blue light. Is it possible to adjust approach and runway lights visibility, with out affecting the taxiway default lights setting. I noticed even with the suggested setting they are only visible at night within 8 miles range. I'm looking at 20 miles visibility on a clear night. If anybody has tried an acceptable setting please post.thankschrisrpll

Guest Roy

Hi Chris.I have turned down the taxiwaylights as far as possible, but I still think they're a tad to bright.Here's my setting:lightIntensityTaxiway=0.051000I tried lower values than 0.051000 but then they got turned off completely. :-(Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

I don't remember who posted the above but I know that Chris and I worked on the lighting additions for the 230 patch late in 2001. But like Randall I do not like the taxiway lighting showing up from 20 miles away either (not at all what one sees in the real world at all)But as indicated above you can set the vis distance in the .ini for each. Dan