Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly II Pilot

Garmin 530 GPS in FLY!-your wish may come true

The good folks at FSAvionics, who make the well-known FlightMax moving map utility for FS2002 should be made aware of FLY's existence.They are now in the process of developing version 2 of their absolutely authentic Garmin 530 GPS for FS and X-Plane, but not FLY.I use the Garmin in FS2002 for my GA aircraft IFR flying. The simulation is so similar to the real thing, that the user guide is the original manual distributed to pilots who have bought the real gizmo for their cockpit. It makes the Bendix GPS in FLY look like a toy, with all due respect.After getting used to having the Garmin GPS on my panel, I'm totally hooked on it. I love the way you can program approach procedures, couple them to the ap, and watch the plane follow it almost to touchdown.Below is a link to their forum , which has a wish list section for input by flyers wanting to see new features in version 2.I thought if enough people in the FLY community post their requests to have a version for FLY, FSAvionics might respond.Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think it's worth a try. What do you think?Check it out.Eytanhttp://www.simsystems.com.au/cgi-bin/dcfor...&conf=DCConfID2

Guest DSandberg

Actually I've started to question the future of that particular add-on in general, given that the next version of MSFS is slated to have something similar built right into the sim. (Unless the built-in one will be far less fully featured than FSAvionics' version ... but judging from the preview movie of the COF GPS, it appeared that a lot of the screens are going to be implemented and functional.)[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to the brave crew members of the space shuttle Columbia.[/td][/tr][/table]

My personal gripe with those Garmin add-ons is that although great looking they do not offer full panel integrations as real units do. For example they do not integrate with aircraft's HSI. This is a big drawback for someone who wants to practice serious IFR and 530 is ALL about IFR flying. There are also gaps how 530 works with the A/P. I also have my doubts whether Microsoft will go extra mile to do do the integration properly - judging by their superficial treatment of aircraft panels so far I wouldn't count on it. So my point - if you want complete accuracy in GNS530 operation your only choice right now is to get Flight1's Meridian. But then you should be in simulation heaven provided your system meets the minimum specs for this exceptional product.Michael J.

Michael,The Meridian GNS530 does not offer complete accuracy and you know this. Both the FSAvionics and Reality-XP versions have their pluses and minuses.Anyway, this is the Fly! forum not the FS Forum taking your trolling out of here.Bob Lyddy

>Anyway, this is the Fly! forum not the FS Forum taking your >trolling out of here. I believe the gentelman who started this thread had both FS and FLY on mind. David also mentioned MSFS. I also believe my post adds some info to the topic but you may disagree. Please Bob, I am tired of your constant nit-picking at my posts - find yourself some other job - I find your posts plain rude and off the subject. Get lost. :-fumeMichael J.

Guest tonyc

now, now, now, let's not get too excited about this....take a deep breath and let's realize that we're all friends--even when we disagree.:-beerchugtony

We have all compaired MSFS many times in conjunction with FlyII with wonderful results and ideas. Looking at other flight sims and getting the best from them and adding to our knowledge and flightsim topic is not a sin!This is an interesting thread, all avenues need to be explored, if they are do-able we take them onboard if not bye bye.If its a sin to talk about MSFS then bye bye FS Imp....and none of us want that now do we!!!!All The BestSteve[/div] [align=center]http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.gif][/div

>Anyway, this is the Fly! forum not the FS Forum taking your >trolling out of here. >>Bob Lyddy Bob........................ Once and a while I spread a little "FLY" in other forums if the subject matter works. And then of course, I also do the reverse. IF you attempt to keep this a "closed" & "protected" forum, it will become stagnant, outdated, uninteresting & shrivel up......... ;(8 ;(8 ;(8 admitted troll-- L.Adamson

Guest Fly II Pilot

Bob:We all know Michael's feelings towards Fly! II, he's been very upfront about it. I must admit, sometimes I disagree with his point of view on specific subjects but I don't think he's ever been disrespectful to anybody in this community.I've read Michael's recent post over and over again and all I see is a piece of information, no trolling whatsoever. In fact, he didn't even criticize Fly! II at all.I personally feel that it is good to disagree and to be forced to look at things from another point of view. It would be so boring if we all agreed on everything, wouldn't it?If Michael is still around, is because he does care about Fly! I know he just wishes things had happened differently and I think we all have to agree on that...Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Larry,I agree with you to a point. I have no problem discussing the pluses and minuses of a sim or product. I do have a problem when folks constantly bash one sim/product over another, whether it be freeware or payware.Each simmer has their own likes and dislikes, but to force their likes/dislikes upon the community is wrong. When I see one product being constantly maligned, espeically by an individual that admittely does not own the product, I begin to question their motives and will speak up myself to set the record straight.I own both Fly!, FS and many add-ons for both, and in my opionin each have thier strong and weak points. Am I going to surf the forums (here and other sites) waiting for a post that discusses a sim/add-on I don't like in order to slam it, no. We're all adults here and we should respect the work (good or bad) of each and every developer/company that contributes to our hobby.Respectfully,Bob Lyddy

Guest Roy

You just might have won one over with that post :-)Keep up the good work. Nice shots BTW.Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

1. Alejandro- saw your post in the FSAvionics asking for inclusion of the G530. That's what I wanted FLY users to do! Thanks.2. It's interesting how my original post spun off responses totally unrelated. All I'm asking is for those who want it- to post a request in the wish list forum at FSAvionics. That's all folks!Eytan

Guest Fly II Pilot

Eytan:I know... ;-)Let's make some noise... at FSAvionics...Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB