Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Recompiled Approach Updates & Fixes

Fly!ers,I have just uploaded 2 approach update packages that combine all of my previous repairs and adjustments into 2 packages: Group 1 U.S. Approach Updates and Group 1 EurAsia Approach Updates. There had been some requests for this a while back, as there were so many individual update files (3 pages worth to be exact), so I hope this "compilation" makes it easier. :-)If you have downloaded all of my fixes previously, there is nothing new in here (yet) - it's just a lot easier to use and makes a better backup of the adjustments if you ever need to reinstall. If you are a new Fly!er, then those two files encompass all my previous fixes - go grab Frank Racis' DexImport 1.2 or later to install the updates.I will remove all of the old updates within a couple of days - sort of a big house-cleaning. I'm already in process on more than 30 new updates and fixes which I'll release in about 2 weeks.

Randall Rocke

Woo hoo!Thanks for all that work; I'm looking forward to getting it.John/madmax

You're all quite welcome. I'm trying to coordinate with Brad Bauer on some of this, as he will eventually release a ton of new updates from DAFIF data, and we don't want anyone to get conflicts between update sets.So....back up, back up, back up!

Randall Rocke

BTW, I have a question on this topic. Does anyone have a rough idea of how many ILS approaches are actually missing in the Fly DB?I ask because it seems like often I fly to a "pretty darned big" airport, which might have 5 or 6 runways, but only a single ILS approach. Maybe that's how it is in real life, I dunno, but it seems odd. I always figured the major intl airports had ILSs more or less everywhere. I can probably come up with examples, but I wonder if anyone just has a rough idea of how complete or incomplete the database really is. We talkin' 20%, or 90%, or what?John/madmax

John,It's difficult to guess - I find a few more each week, but when you consider the 10s of thousands of airports in the world and the thousands of them that have some type of localizer approach, TRI did a commendable job. I'll say 20%. Also, some airports have added such approaches after Fly! first came out, so they really can't be blamed for not having something that didn't exist at the time. In some cases, whole new airports have been added.Hardly any airport has an ILS on every runway in the real world. It's not uncommon for even fairly large airports to have only 1 ILS, though many runways will have some type of instrument approach. The ILS system is the most accurate, but most instrument approaches in the world are not ILS. The most common would include: VOR, VOR/DME, and NDB approaches. Other types would be Localizer, microwave, and GPS approaches.To really enjoy IFR flight, you need to learn how to fly the other, more common approach types and obtain the IAPs (Instrument Approach Plates) so that you fly the approaches properly. You can purchase these from a number of sources. If you would like to check out the approaches and IAPs for U.S. airports online and see what a particular U.S. airport has available, they will still be posted for a while at http://edj.net/cgi-bin/echoplate.pl .

Randall Rocke

Is there any harm in re-installing your updates over the prior works? I cannot be sure I've downloaded all your prior fixes, even though I'm sure I downloaded many of them. If I re-import using your DEX files, what will happen if the database was already updated?-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

No problem - the combined DEXs will simply overwrite the old data with the same info.Since I uploaded the groups, I've received a message that one navaid in the EurAsia package will have to be edited to protect against a conflict with an upcoming package from another developer. I will update that package sometime tonight and also upload a "fix" for those who have already installed the current.Again, these will simply overwrite the previous records.

Randall Rocke

Hi Bob,They'll be a bunch of new updates shortly, but you might say I had to go "clean out the garage". :-)

Randall Rocke