Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz

KODIAK AUTO PILOT

Guest chezz

Does anyone has problem with the Kodiak's Auto pilot? The aircraft is acting weird like it's rocks itself up and down whenever I engage the auto pilot. And when I view it from the outside I noticed that the elevetor is in constant up and down motion. I tried to trim before engaging the A/P I got the same result. Any suggestion or I'm missing a fix for this problemThankschris

Chris,In order for the "Kodiak" to hold ALT in AP Mode, the aircraft has to be almost perfectly trimmed. I believe this is because the flight dynamics of this aircraft are not up to par with the rest of the default aircraft, and/or it may be a bug in the AP itself - there is no fix for this outside of careful trimming.I would suggest approaching cruising altitude with the AP On using the AP rocker trim switch to control vertical speed. When within 500 feet of your cruise altitude, adjust the trim rocker to approach that altitude at 500 fpm or less - then engage ALT when you hit cruise altitude. Many times you will get a fairly good altitude hold with these procedures with minimal "rocking".If that doesn't work, turn off the AP and set up for cruise first:Pull MAP to cruise setting: 33-34 in.Pull Prop to cruise setting: approx. 2300 rpmStabilize the aircraft with standard trimActivate AP and appropriate HDG/NAV modeStabilize the aircraft again with AP trimSet ALT hold

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz

Randall,Thanks. I suspect that it's an AP BUG.Appreciate your help.chrisrpll

Guest Allan Jones

Chris,We're getting that on the Mac side, too. I suspect an a/c bug.Try this: Set up a/p cruise and wait for the oscillation to start. Pick a reference point on the horizon that is "bouncing." Now hide the panel (shift-C). I noticed that the ref point will keep bouncing for a few seconds that then stop. Then toggle the panel on again. For a few seconds, all is smooth, then the "shakes" start again. Strange!

Guest dajackman

Hmmm. This is really the only plane I fly. I have not had this problem. For me she seems to hold ALT pretty well. I think I do have a freeware update for it installed. I wonder if that fixed something or not. The only feature from the AP I use is the ALT Hold. Not sure if this info is of any help. Let use know if you find out any further. I really love that plane!

Guest andrewluck

Same here. I flew out of SFO last night abusing the AP every way I could think of; engaging with full trim applied etc and didn't see any porpoising at all.Andrew Luck18 miles SW EGSH

Guest chezz

Can you please direct me where to download to that freeware fix for Kodiak if there's any.Appreciate your help.chrisrpll