Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Brown

FSimport without FS2002

Hi All,I enjoy Fly!2 very much. And since I live in the netherlands I would like to use a free airport scenery from FS2002 (Schiphol eham). I found out already the existance of FSimport. Now my question is:Is it possible to use FSimport (I have 1.03) without an installed FS2002, and ofcourse if so, does anyone here know what to do.Cheers ;-)Ben

Guest Fly II Pilot

Ben,You certainly can. I don't have FS2000 nor FS2000 and I'm using FS_IMP without a problem. Right now I'm at work so I may not be 100% accurate with the folder structure and the scenery.cfg entry. When I get back home I'll take a look at this post again and if I made any mistakes I'll let you know.First, you need to get BGLZIP.EXE. To do so, you can download the MSFS SDK which includes it. When I get back home I can get you a direct link.Second, you need to create a folder where you will put your scenery. You could do something like:C:FS2000SceneryThird, copy the scenery to that folder, into a subfolder (for example EHAM). Most likely, the .ZIP file will contain two folders: scenery and textures. Put both folders inside the EHAM folder such that the tree will look like this:C:FS2000SceneryEHAMSceneryC:FS2000SceneryEHAMTextureFourth, create a text file in the FS2000 folder and name it scenery.cfg. Add an entry for this scenery as described in FS_IMP readme.txt, something like this (replace the parenthesis ")" with brackets "]"):(Area.131)Title=SchipolLocal=SCENERYEHAMRemote=Layer=131Active=TRUERequired=FALSEFifth, start FS_IMP, locate the BGLZIP and the SCENERY.CFG buttons (top right), click each one and indicate the location of these two files.Sixth, read the readme.txt file and start converting sceneries.Let me know if you have any questions.Good luck!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Hi Alejandro,Thanks a lot for your comprehensive description. I'm sure more people will take advantage from your guidence.Like you, I'm also at my work at this moment ;-) so I've printed your explanation and will try it tonight. Ofcourse I will give you feedback on this,Again thanks a lot,CheersBen

A related question, which bogs my mind is:I've been using FS-IMP to get the North Sea Oil & Gas platforms into Fly2... Apart from some probs with the ones created by Steve Chase, this went pretty well.Too bad that when I finally ended up flying the Bell helo into Ekofisk and tried to land the thing onto one of the structures, the helideck wasn't landable.... and in fact none of the platforms are.How can I list them as "concrete stuff" so I can land on their platforms?

Guest Fly II Pilot

Louis:I also imported Ekofisk but after teleporting to it, after 5 minutes I used to get a CTD so I ended up deleting the scenery. I don't know how you could make the buildings "concrete" what I think you COULD do, (haven't tried it myself) is put some Fly!II landing pads using the Fly! II editor.The tricky part will be positioning them because when you get into the editor, the FS_IMP scenery disappears. What you want to do is slew to where you want the landing to be, once you're there, start the editor and place the pad. Save the scenery and then restart Fly! II. Go back to the scenery and see if it looks ok. If it doesn't, take notes as to whether it should be higher, or with a different heading, etc and make the necessary changes manually to the Scenery?.S?? file that will be in your datadxxxzzz where xxxyyy is the global tile where the scenery is located.I'll give it a try myself and see what I come up with.Good luck!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

>Louis: >>I also imported Ekofisk but after teleporting to it, after 5 >minutes I used to get a CTD so I ended up deleting the >scenery. I don't know how you could make the buildings >"concrete" what I think you COULD do, (haven't tried it >myself) is put some Fly!II landing pads using the Fly! II >editor. >>The tricky part will be positioning them because when you >get into the editor, the FS_IMP scenery disappears. What you >want to do is slew to where you want the landing to be, once >you're there, start the editor and place the pad. Save the >scenery and then restart Fly! II. Go back to the scenery and >see if it looks ok. If it doesn't, take notes as to whether >it should be higher, or with a different heading, etc and >make the necessary changes manually to the Scenery?.S?? file >that will be in your datadxxxzzz where xxxyyy is the >global tile where the scenery is located. Alejandro, I gave this a try tonight: went straight to the middle of one of the Ekofisk landing decks, entered the editor and put in a large helipad. Then saved, quit Fly to edit the file in data to fit the Fly helipad some 5 ft below the scenery one... When I went back to the location on the next start I found the pad floating in the water at 0 feet. Somehow there seems to be no way to have em floating up in the sky :-) Apart from that, Fly helipads are T-I-N-Y compared to the average landing deck on any platform.... the seem OK to fit a Hughes 500 I guess, but I would definitely not be the one trying to land a Sea King or bigger onto them.... Even IF you would be able to line up say 9 or 16 of em straight under one of the structures platforms it would at least require Fly to let you position them "hovering at say 180 ft" and it seems like Fly won't allow for that.Mebbe it'll work with a building "hidden inside" one of the platforms?Anyway, lots of the fun would be gone anyway... U ever tried putting down a S61N in gale force winds onto a 62 ft diameter deck, with your tailrotor almost hitting some other structure and the wind coming straight thru some other open girder constructions elswehere? It looks like you can hit any craneboom or mast on those platforms without any collision being detected.... unless we can register the complete thing as "concrete" somehow in Fly....

Hi all,In version v.103 the converted scenery should not disappear when using the editor. This used to be the case in v1.02. I stated on other threads that this is due to the danger of copyright infringemnt.Sorry, but I do not yet know how to make individual polygon surfaces or the "top" of models solid. When I find out, I will add it to the next version. Maybe someone knows, or the developper forum has something.Padraic (Podjoe) Morgan.

Hi again,In the meantime I have found out how to make models solid - the "gestalt" flag "ObjectColisions" should be set. Unfortunately this is hard coded in my DLL. In the next version I will set this flag and then models will be solid - that means that you can land on them, or crash into them if you are not careful!I hope to send just the new DLL by e-mail to you Louis soon for testing!Padraic (Podjoe) Morgan.