Sign in to follow this  

My first attempt at fixing runways so don't laugh

KDET RWY 25/07 appears skewed relative to an airport diagram I printed from EchoFlight and a USGS map (see attached pic 1). The taxiways are the default ones located in systemtaxiways.pod as well as taxiwaystaxiusa.pod.Through Terramodels program, I overlayed the runways with both the airport diagram and the map. It appeared to me that the taxiways are more correct than the runway locations. So off I went to fix the runways. After several attempts using Terramodels, I could not get the runways to line up close enough to the taxiways.My next path was to start fly, slew to the high and low ends of the runway, visually lining up the center of the runway with the yellow taxiway markings. Then get into fly editor and write down the coordinates. Once this was established, then it was relatively easy to change the data using Voledit, create a dex file and modify the runway.pod. With backups of course in case this all came crashing down. Results are shown in pic 2.Question: Is this the most efficient way to make this type of correction? If not, what is? Is there a real world database that already has the high and low end coordinates?My goal is to learn from this before I start my first airport. From this experience, it appears to me that if I want to do an airport from scratch, step 1 - make sure the runways are in correct location, step 2 - do the taxiways, step 3 - add the models.Any response is most welcome.ThanksRobert

I agree - unless there is no data available and you must interpolate it, you want to be exact with the placement. Airnav.com and other sites will give you the exact coordinates.

Randall Rocke

Guest dajackman

I would like to know this also. I made several attempts at creating an airport from scratch. There is a nice new airport in my area. I had no luck. Major problems trying to get the ground flat, was a pain and I gave up. I also had some wierd other problem. A light yellow line appeared on the ground around the runway I made, not sure what that was all about. Anyway, thank god for backups.

Thanks for the responses and link. BTW I know I read somewhere how to add a link to a message but I can't seem to find the post. Could someone help me there or link it into the FAQ's?Thanks again,Robert

Robert,Just type it - as the forum software is using HTML, it will recognize the item as a link. It's a good idea to leave spaces before and after the link so that the extra characters don't become part of the link, though I have seen links still work without spaces. For the vest results, I would recommend this approach: http://www.airnav.com/ .BTW, I would also recommend this site for obtaining information on many airports outside of the U.S.: http://worldaerodata.com/ .

Randall Rocke

Thanks RandallHate to bother you again, but is there an easy way to link to an AVSIM download file w/o typing? When I try to help other flyers I would like to give them a link they can click on rather than type all the info for them to go search.Thanks again,Robert

RandallI collected data from both referenced sites and lo and behold, there is a discrepancy between the two for rwy 25 latitude.Worldaerodata.com: 42deg 24min 25.04sec (which matches runway.pod)Airnav.com: 42-24.47027 converted = 42deg 24min 28.2162secMore than 3secs make a world of difference (see attached pic) Also you are right on regarding best (more accurate to 4 decimal places when converted) data from airnav.com.Taxiways are off slightly, but I will work on those knowing the rwys are accurate. Is there a way to get the end of rwy 33 below rwy 25?Thanks againRobert

>Hate to bother you again, but is there an easy way to link >to an AVSIM download file w/o typing? When I try to help >other flyers I would like to give them a link they can click >on rather than type all the info for them to go search. The easiest I've found is to open a separate browser window on the File Library and navigate to the download you want. Then right-click on the Download button and select "Copy Shortcut". Go back to your forum message or text file and simply use Ctrl+V to paste in the link.

Randall Rocke

>Taxiways are off slightly, but I will work on those knowing >the rwys are accurate. Is there a way to get the end of rwy >33 below rwy 25? Good question - I've never run into that particular situation when moving a runway! Maybe it has to do with the order the runways are listed in the pod? If that's the case, maybe you could make a DEX that includes not only your fix but the other runway so the data is overwritten, then have your displaced version of Rwy 25 listed last?Example: Check the pod and see what order TRI has them listed. If Rwy 33 follows Rwy 25 in the pod, have the DEX first DELETE the existing Rwy 33 and Rwy 25 records, then replace them with the Rwy 33 record first followed by your displaced version of Rwy 25?

Randall Rocke

Thanks Randall, I'll give that a go and let you know. I appreciate all your guidance.Robert