Sign in to follow this  
KenWood

Vancouver - Rebuilt

Guest Rob Westhouse

You will have to excuse the quality of the images. My video card is an Antique 32MB Rage Fury.As you can see in the attached images, Downtown Vancouver has been moved to its proper location. The coastline and Fraser River are much improved and Stanley Park is more recognizable and now includes Lost Lagoon and Beaver Lake. False creek can be seen to the right of the downtown along with a more refined waterfront.Sea Island and Iona Island are now connected with a strip of land. The taxiways at CYVR are the best ever and Runway 26A is now where it belongs. The Main Terminal is Andrew Farnaby's from Fly! 1.0, with a TRI firehall off Taxiway J and a few other TerraModel buildings, including the storage tanks at the northeast corner of Sea Island (They still need to be uprooted and moved a bit southeast).The coastline GTP file has been modified to prevent sinking off the end of Rwy 26A on taxiway A as well as Aprons 1 and 3.TRI has a model of the Burrard bridge, but it was modelled about 5 times too large! Looked kinda goofy. :-)Construction continues....http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

Brilliant gimme gimme gimme Vancouver after midnight!! :-eek Sorry I lost it there, I cant wait for this :-) All The BestSteve[/div] [align=center]http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.jpg][/divSceneryhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2tms&Go=SearchRepaintshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2Air&Go=SearchOther fileshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...2Misc&Go=Search

Guest ben_

RobIt's looking really good.How do you get v1 scenery into Fly11?Ben

Guest Hagar

Rob,Your scenery is beautiful! I am sending you a "trials bridge" soon.Check your mail :)

Guest Rob Westhouse

I extracted the modles from Andrew Farnaby's old Fly! 1.0 epd file. They were in .bin format.I then opened Andrew's .sXX file with a text editor. Figured out what models comprised the terminal (it is actually several), then copied the appropriate entries into the TRI SCENERYA.S00 file for tile 168-168, making adjustments for the new format.SCENERYA.S00 for globe tile 168-168 was extracted from the cities.pod file in the scenery shared folder. I also have searchPodFilesFirst=0 in the Fly.ini file so it loads my altered SCENERYA.S00 file instead of the one in cities.pod.There is one problem. If I cannot get permission from Andrew Farnaby to include his terminal building, I will have to use the TRI one with the Day texture floating above ground. I could offer Andrew's terminal building separately but I would have to email it out on request, as stated in his readme file. I can share it, but not publish it.I will have to dig up his old email address and hopefully I can get in touch with him again. Andrew's CYVR buildings were originally designed in Fly! 1.0 to fit hand in hand with my Fly! 1.0 taxiways for CYVR.I will be testing a model by Andrew Tomsen of the Lions Gate Bridge today. It goes across the channel at the end of the road in Stanley Park (Green area in front of the downtown). He also let me know how to resize the supersized TRI Burrard Bridge model. Then Vancouver won't look like the land of the little people. :-)http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

Guest Hagar

Hi Rob,I am not that fast :-eek I sent you a local bridge, which is approx. the same size as the Lions Gate bridge are going to be. The fact is it will be a little bit bigger because of the detailed towers, and the causeway I am going to make as a separate model.BTW, which texture are you using for the airport? I need that one, it`s excellent :)

Rob, this looks fabulous.. Vancouver "out of the box" is a disaster and I'd love to re-fly my actual flight from Pitt Meadows to Victoria with the right scenery. Let me know if you need a beta-tester!(used to live in Vancouver.. now in Toronto :-(

Bert

Guest Rob Westhouse

You had me excited. Turn this green and it would be a close match for the Lions Gate bridge. Oh, and check out the lettering on the one tower. It is backwards. :-eekI used the How In the World Transportion2.jpg texture for the airport. These textures are no longer available for download.I took a snapshot looking straight down with the editor at the airport. I used the shoreline to adjust size and rotation to line up the taxiways and runways in the TerraScene images in a separate layer. I carefully erased all but the taxiways and runways on this layer as it was a bit blurred. Under the taxiways and runways sits an image of the taxiways and runways.The taxiways and runways are now visible from a far distance. Looks much better than a barren island until the runways pop into view on approach.http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

Guest Rob Westhouse

I used photographs from www.globalairphotos.com to give CYPK textures fairly close to what is there. The railway to the north is a bit off and I added some of the roads around the airport by hand. Road data in the landuse data is very crude. Adjusting it would be far too much work at this time. The road and railway heading up to the Squamish area sit precariously high up on the mountains. :-eekDid someone do buildings for Pitt Meadows or was that in Fly! 1.0?http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

Guest Hagar

Hey, you should not inspect my bridges that close :-lol If you think we`re close enough, I can just rebuild the towers and texure the road like the real bridge, then adjust the cables. I can see the area is rather flat in the sim, not like the real thing. Well I have the same problem locally, so it`s good news I can use the existing road...Well done job with the airport and taxiways :)

Guest Hagar

I agree on the roads. My data is also extremely crude, so I re-draw most of them. By the way, I think I forgot to mention that you MUST rename the Burrard bridge before you resize it and pack it into the pod. Using the original name will load the podded TRI bridge even if you put the resized one into your scenery pod.

Guest Rob Westhouse

Already done. If you look in the image with your bridge, you will see it in the background on the right. Piece of cake. Thank you for the tip.I could live with that style bridge coloured green and the road texture redone. It would be close enough for me and a lot less work for you. If you ever get bored though and want to go to town...I also need some multilane flatter bridges. Generic ones just to show the roads crossing the river.http://members.shaw.ca/fly2/images/snoopyace.gifRob Westhouse, VE5VKSaskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada"Land of Living Skies"

Guest Hagar

Hehe...I don`t get bored with my 3D program. But I certainly get frustrated sometimes, and then I go to "Town" for shure. I can choose between the usual bar and the ususal bar, but still I`ll be there soon :-lol Your point about generic bridges are taken, I`ve missed them myself.

Looks terrific, Rob... Many thanks for the efforts put into this project! Will be looking forward to its release!Many Cheers,Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster