Sign in to follow this  
Pascal_LSGC

What to do with flydevelopers.com

Guest dajackman

flydevelopers.com went live last July. As with any new web site the traffic was OK at first, then slowly died off to almost none. I set it up to allow developers a place to share alpha and beta work and to assist each other with their projects. I currently don't see that there is a real need for this kind of service. My question to you is this. Is there some need or void that the site can offer the Fly community? The current server has all the features of a modern content management system. Including forums, HOWTO section, FAQs and file download section. I would like to give something back to all those who have done their part to make this the best flight sim in the world. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I still have over a year left on the domain name. I may not renew it with the site in its current state. PS - I am not trying to re-invent what avsim has done here. I am also not looking for any type of revenue from the site. The hardware has been paid for and the Internet connection is what I use for day to day use. The site's only cost is really just my time.Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

Guest jjlobo

I'm still visiting your website frequently. Since the beginning I'm doing so. I sow in your site the opportunity to have development sections very categorized and have started uploading my sceneries.I think it is been 3 months now that I can't upload any file. I receive an error message.I'm still waiting to see people starting to use this Fly! "exclusive" site. I hope we can continue to have this exclusive site.We (sims. community) are missing a lot of information related to Aircrafts (specification, operations patterns and limitations, Aircraft and Panel detailed pics), Airports (data, diagrams, facilities, panoramic pics., etc.). I would suggest you open necessary sections where we can share such important raw material for our development hobby. Probably categorized by aircraft manufacturer, airports country, etc.I think such a section will attract sims developers worldwide. I also think there is a lot of people with pieces of information, pics, etc, of those items and if we start sharing what we have, soon there will be good raw material to create amazing add-ons, Fly! II stile, perfection.....I hope this contribute ...___ JJLobo ___55 11 37268158

Guest dajackman

Thanks for the info. I have had a hard time finding a solution to this problem that is secure. Most of the ones I have tested have had security issues. I will continue that search. Thanks again for your comments.

Hi Rob :-wave As you know I do believe in what flydevelopers.com is doing and can achieve. Fly developers hasnt let us down in any shape or form - we have. If we, the developers dont use it, we are missing out on a important tool set up kindly by you, for us.I think the problem is, and its my own personal view, are we willing to share the prieview of our scenery,aircraft,panel or what ever before its ready to upload to avsim! Mostly ...NOAnd for those of us who have downloaded a beta test fom your site, how many have got back with reports? VERY FEW.I have uploaded most of my airports to flydevelopers because Im willing to share,and if I get it wrong you guys can help me,if I missed something you can tell me. If any of you say Im wrong on this thought proove me wrong and upload your beta tests.We have a great thing going here and holding back will slow us down. Yes a suprise is nice but to see a progam,scenery or whatever grow and have a part in it as a tester is a wonderful thing.I do hope you can keep this going,that is if we dont let you down.All The BestSteve[/div] [align=center]http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.jpg][/divSceneryhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2tms&Go=SearchRepaintshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2Air&Go=SearchOther fileshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...2Misc&Go=Search

Guest pilotsim7828

What If:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about a link in the avsim Page ? Do you think that avsim would go along with that ? You might get more hits. I know that when my company got bought out they did put the web site we had and put ours as a link ! Just thinking ....Why let a site that has to do something with Flight simming , Just go down the tubes? Jeff Akins

Guest Eagle

I had hoped that developers would post "How To's" on your site. How To build an aircraft? What do you need to construct an aircraft? That fine group in France could help in those areas and if it is a problem in translating instructions I can help.Last year I made a post concerning starting a group in the U.S. for the development of aircraft. What happened?Some of us have the time to devote to projects, but we need suggestions on what is needed and somone to coordinate the work. flydevelopers.com is where we can start and where the projects can be coordinated.I can understand why you feel that it may be necessary to take the site down. To do so would be a great loss to the FLY community, however, if it is not being used for the intended purpose, I can understand why you would want to shut it down.That's just my two cents worth. Let's hope that others will respond to your post and get something going. If we are going to keep FLY advancing others, beside SIMVOL, will have to step in and help.

Guest Josve

Hi Rob!I don't know what to say....As you know I'm running the Fly! Zone and have around 20-30 hits a day!! And I have had this site since 2000.I don't know why it is so??+? I use to browse into yor site several time a week! But as you know I'm not a developer..I just hope you carry on!!!!! Keep it up mate!!!Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/zone.jpg ][/div

I was really looking forward to running some tests up the pole at your site and helping others to beta test when I could, but I could never get the site to work for me.I couldn't get a login, couldn't post in the forum, etc. Now, I'm guessing that it's probably a security issue between your site and my browser security settings, firewall, etc., so if the site is still around in a few weeks, I'll be happy to try again after testing with different security setups - if it works, I'll give it another try with some projects I'm working on.Because there really is so much right here at Avsim as far as the developer is concerned, your site really needs to fill a unique niche - allowing for sharing beta projects and programs is probably that spot, and getting some good cross-linking should help traffic.

Randall Rocke

Maybe you could create a section dedicated to FS-Imp. Early on there were several calls for some sort of index of airports that worked well when imported. Bringing some order to that with a searchable index with a couple of photos might give your site some of the attention it deserves. Also a q&a on FS-Imp or forum would probably be quite popular.Don

Guest dajackman

Wow, I didn't expect this amount of replys. Thanks. I do plan to keep this site up. I myself am not a developer. I want to give something back to all of us, the only way I know how is with something like flydevelopers.com Thanks for the input. I will use all of this to try to put more content up.For those of you having difficulty getting in, the site does require cookies. I myself am not a big fan of them, but the backend software I choose to use does. Sorry. One point I want to make is this site really is yours. I am willing to put on it what ever needs to be made avaliable to assist other developers.Thanks again for all your input.

Guest Javier

I just added your site to my Favorites. I promise that when I get some time to do more searching on the Dynamic Scenery I will upload whatever documentation I generate. There is no much time for FLY! these days... maybe April will do it.

Rob,I do visit Flydeveloppers regularly.I think Chris Wallace's doc alone justify your site! It's all precious information we can't find anywhere else.I'm the kind of developpers who don't show often the state of his work. But when things are almost ready, I will probably send some shots to your site :-)Also, a Fsimp section would fill a real need. Rich suggested to have a site with a catalogue of working sceneries. I would be glad to contribute if ever you set this up. And it would attract also non developpers.Thanks for your effort!All the best!Pascal

Guest Hagar

Speaking as a developer, I have to agree with Randall. There`s already so much here at Avsim, and for my part I`d like to stick toone site, and not two at the same time. A new site would really have to find a special niche, and unfortunately I have no good ideas at this time...

As a relative newbie to FlyII the main problem (in my view) with the sim is it's complexity when compared to FS2K2. It really does take a lot of effort to get it running because so much has to be added eg airport scenery and a lot of tweaks are required.The sim once all that has been done is excellent but I think a lot of simmers give up on FlyII because of the effort and the time involved in getting to a stage where it can be enjoyed.The help given by the enthusiasts in the AVSIM forum is wonderful. As I indicated in my reply to Johnny it would be great if there was a site at which Tips /FAQs /How To's could be organised so that anyone new to FlyII could rapidly get the sim up and running without having to spend a lot of time searching the forums for the answers to frequently asked questions.I had hoped that Computer Pilot magazine might start a series of tutorials that would guide a newbie through the problems but that doesn't seem likely.Whether Fly Developers, Fly Zone or AVSIM is the site where such a project can be developed is up to you guys but I for one feel that it is necessary. If more simmers use FlyII more simmers will want to try and design scenery or aircraft etc and FlyII will go from strength to strength. :-wave

Hi David,I would personally like you to keep FlyDevelopers.com going. With the imminent release of Panel Maker for Fly!, I'd like to have some kind of 'beta forum' if possible - is this possible on your site (so it would only be possible for registered beta testers to access the forum?).Cheers,Matthew.