Sign in to follow this  

Juneau

Guest Eagle

Don - GREAT scenery. If you give me names of airports in the area I will develop scenery for them.

Guest ben_

DonI took a sight seeing trip around there (in Fly11 :-) ) and found the Juneau to be in need of a touch up around the water areas. That's going to be really appreciated. Ben.

Hi Wayne,Some of your airports would be great! The elevations will cover all of Southeastern Alaska so airports abound: Gustavus, Skagway, Haines, Kake, Juneau Intl, Klawock, Wrangell, Petersburg James A Johnson, Masset, Annette Island, Ketchikan Intl, Prince Rubert, Stewart, Yukutat, Sitka Rocky Gutierrez, and Hoonah. I think you've already done a couple of these but Juneau would be the best place to start. The new elevations did create a horrible tear in the mountains along side of it (see pics) but I managed to fix that last night. Now I just need to check the other airports and will upload. (By the way, at Juneau I thought Fly! had misplaced the runway but saw a photo of it and the south end of the runway actually sits out in the water.)Don

Guest chezz

Don,Hope you will upload the scenery.chris

Guest chezz

Wayne,The Default KLAX and SFO needs improvement, I hope if you have time you can create an add on scenery and dynamic vehicles for the two airports.Thankschrisrpll

Guest Eagle

Don - I can do the airports for you, however, some of the runways are in the water and that makes it difficult. If you have corrected that in your scenery that would be a great help.I will wait until you upload your scenery afterwhich I will get right to work on them.

Don,These screenshots are fantastic! I've been wondering how to do scenery for SE Alaska (my favorite place to fly) myself, but it looks like you've done all the hard work. I do hope you'll upload the project files, at least, when you get the chance. Thanks in advance!I'm looking forward to seeing Wayne's terramodeled airports in this region.Maybe now I can focus on making a DHC-2 Beaver to go with the scenery...at least we've got the PA-19 (and Stearman) already to fly there!Jeff

I don't post much, but this thread seems to be pretty interesting. I've made taxiways for a bunch of airports in Alaska for Fly!II. I don't have my list anymore, but I'd guess that I've done between 15-25 airports. Many of them I had to eyeball from this site:http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/airports2.htmSeveral of them were best guess as well. Once I have my flight sim computer up and running (just bought and moved to a new house, so all my computer gear is spread throughout the house), I'll post a list of the taxiways I've completed for Alaska.I've been itching to build up Alaska in Fly!II.I'm so excited!Pieter

Guest Eagle

Jeff, that Beaver sounds great and will go well with those who like to FLY in Alaska.I will place taxiways with those airports that do not have any. Also some of the airports I can do as there is no water problem.Alaska I will start on as soon as I update KLAX and SFO as requested.

Hi Wayne and everyone,I just ran through all the airports and most of them seem to be situated pretty much the same as in the photos you can find for Southeast Alaska airports at the bottom of the site included by Dondo in his post above. (Also see the shot of Juneau at this site: http://www.mitre.org/pubs/showcase/2002/ca...stone-prn.html). The one exception is Wrangell, which does appear to be out in the water when it should be inclosed by land or perhaps marsh. I could probably include a dex file to move it over a little but I want to make sure everyone understands that what I will be uploading makes modifications to the elevation data only -- I'm doing nothing that will change the placement of or replace the default textures. That said, I've been amazed at just how beautiful some of the work for Alaska done by Fly! has been. Detailed elevation data really helps to bring out that beauty and helps us to see what must have been initially conceived of by Fly! (Jak Fearon anyone?)and mother nature.Though I've done no repair of the coastlines (which sometimes are a mess) the elevation data in some areas seems to have improved the shoreline a little. Below are a few shots taking off from Skagway (airport by Wayne Roberts). It is trully a special place -- I hope I get to see it someday but Fly! has brought it a lot closer.Don