Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Radio communication

Please, don't laugh when you read this post. I bought my FLY! II simulator yesterday and I am a newbie in simulations like that. I have a problem with radio communication. Suppose I would like to communicate with the control tower before I start. I tune the radio to the proper frequency and... nothing happens. I suppose I should call them out somehow but I don't know how. There is nothing about it in the manual. Please help !!!

There is plenty in the manual. A whole section devoted to radio communications. You need to use the tuners and the number keys to initiate and respond to communicates. Its all outlined in the manual under the radio communications section, and also under the basic simulation section.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Robert:Welcome to the Fly! community. May I suggest that you sign with your name so that we don't have to go into your profile to get it when replying? This is not a requirement and even if it was, I'm not the moderator. It's just a suggestion, a favor I ask you; it makes it much easier.Now to your question, if you have the CompleteFly!IIManual.pdf document, turn to page 59. If you just have the Fly2UsersGuide.pdf document, turn to page 52. It is briefly described there.Basically:First you need to select the service you want to communication with. You can either do this manually by tuning the correct frequency in the COM radio(s), or you can use the ATC Services menu.To bring up the ATC Services menu, press "CTRL" + "`" (-tilde- which in some keyboards is to the left of the main keyboard "1" key).Once the menu opens, select the type of service and then the specific airport. At this point, all you've done is select the correct frequency.To view the available "phrases" or requests press the "`" (tilde) key alone and select the phrase or request that you need. After clearences and instructions such as climb, turn, cleared for takeoff, cleared to land, etc. you need to either readback or ask the controller to repeat the instructon, to do so simply press the "`" (tilde) key and select either 1) "Say again" or 2) "Readback".VERY IMPORTANT: Have in mind that, as in real life, you must have a working radio to be able to communicate. What I mean by this, is that the radio must be on... ;-)Enjoy!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Thanks a lot. That was really helpful to me. It apeared I kept looking for the answer in a wrong chapter.Robert

Robert,You can also find out and tune the frequencies you need by double left-clicking on the airport identification letters when you have the vector map open ( Shift+ M ). When the Airport Information window opens left click on the area you wish to communicate with eg control tower to highlight/select then click the Tune tab and hey presto.Hope you enjoy FlyII (it's wonderful) but be prepared to spend a lot of time tweaking and adding scenery etc to get it just right for you.:-wave 3nm NNE NZGS