Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz

New Hard Drive... What to expect

I've managed to fill up 60GB of HD space in just over a year of PC owndership. I'm considering buying a new HD and moving my entire Fly!2 installation there. Has anyone done this? I want to just move the entire Fly!2 directory structure over. Can someone whose done this give me an idea of the issues I'm likely to face and the things I can do to reduce the difficulty? For example... 1 - Changes to INI files I must do manually2 - Issues with third-party apps like TerraScene and TerraModels3 - Any registry work I'll need to do.BTW: Should I expect a modest performance bump on the basis that Fly!2 will be on a separate HD from the OS itself?Thanks all.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Hi David, Unless I miss my guess, item 1 and 3 won't be a real requirement, as Fly! II doesn't use the Windows registry other than for uninstall reasons. Rich and team designed the Sim that way so it could reside on any HDD with little problem in moving it around. So you should have no issues with the Fly!system*.ini files themselves.Item 2 - You would need to redirect through the options menu where you have Fly! II installed: InfoMetar, TerraScene, Taxiway and Terra Models need to know the path to Fly! II. For uninstall of PMDG aircraft or PMDG Greek scenery you would most likely need to make a registry change for the path to where they reside. Most other 3rd party add-ons do not have installers, but things like VolEdit or VolNav may require some path editing.Am sure I've missed a couple (most likely as I don't use other than the above listed items myself), so hopefully someone else will also chime in. :-)Overall, if you are just adding a second HDD to your sysem, and get it recognized - then just drag-n-drop Fly! II to the new drive, you really should not have too much trouble in keeping your settings going.Many Cheers! Keep us posted if you have any problems and we'll get it all sorted out.Ken Wood :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest tonyc

Absolutely nothing. FLY2 has all it needs in its directory.tony

David,If you want better performance, you could split your Fly! installation over the two hard disks:-enable searchOtherDrives (something like that) in Fly.ini-Create a folder named "Scenery" in the other HD (where Fly! is not installed) and put there all TS Sceneries.Keep the airport sceneries in the original folder. This way, when you approach a place with many 3D objects, one HD reads the TS scenery and the other the objects textures. I don't know if the performance boost will be noticeable in your case, but it doesn't hurt to try. :-)Cheers!Pascal

Hi,This week my son just copied FLY2 over our LAN to his new notebook.Now he can SIM in the train on his way to school.Fly2 works great on lappy`s.You can place it everywhere without problems , just like good oldPackman.Bye

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Interesting idea. Maybe I'll try that.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest chezz

David,I just did waht you plan to do and FLY2 is running perfectly. No worries at all.cheerschris

Guest chezz

Pascal,Where exactly in fly.ini this command line should be place. Sounds interesting.chrisrpll

I second this suggestion.. this keeps all the really big files on a separate drive while maintaining the original Fly install where you are expecting to find it. This works well on my system.

Bert