Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz

TS2.1

Hi guys,I'm having a 'simple' issue I'm not able sort out by myself and need your help.Somehow I managed to create a scenery in TS 2.1 (and ArcExplorer) covering a quarter tile (sort of). Now I have plenty of dark green ground around my airports and can't change the tile texture. Can't get rid of that as I can't locate the POD or other files created. I tried the texture switching utility Ground Tile Transform (entered global and ground tile) but it didn't take any effect. Any idea how to go back (or switch) to the great ground textures by ROTW?There may be a post on this somewhere so it's fine just to point me there.And, the TS job is wrong anyway, as a river is not visible when going through populated ares, although it had higher priority in the Arc Explorer.Thanks Rene

Rene,You speak of using ArcExplorer to create scenery? I was not aware that ArcExplorer could create a shapefile, but I certainly have used it to "interpret" shapefiles and see what each file contains. It's also very valuable to select the order that will need to be used in the Manually-added section of TerraScene.Once you have gleaned information about the shapefiles and decided on their use, no output from ArcExplorer can be used to place them in TS - you will need to add each group of shapefiles manually to the Manually-added folder. You not only need to place the SHP files there, but each set of accompanying files for the shapefile you are using. I can't recall the suffix of those files right now (I'm at work), but for each shape layer, there are two accompanying files.After you have all your shape and accompanying data files in the Manually-added folder, start TS, open your project and go to the digital maps section. Your shapefiles should be there ready to select and add to your scenery. Select the shapefiles in the order you want them to be used, or as you stated, you'll end up covering rivers and other details with general land textures. Select the "base" layer first and choose "Add". When you do this TS will ask you to assign the textures to be used for that data - you'll need to know the identifiers for your shapefiles choice (normally there is a guide map for this available from the download site), so as to assign the proper texture. If you want to use different textures, you can make your own texture set - there are many other textures to choose from in the texture library that were not used in the "base" set.Continue to select and assign each new shapefile layer in the order they should be used. I start with basic landcover and water/land designations (if the area is on the coast), then add population areas, water (lakes, rivers, streams) and finish with roads, streets, and railway lines as the top layer.

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall,Thanks for your reply. Will try again and let you know. R.

Rene,You mentioned not being able to find the files or pod that your original render created. Go to the output folder in your TerraScene2 directory - there you will find all of your image files that TS used to make the scenery. The files will be named with whatever you called the project plus the global tile the scenery is in, such as Columbus-199-152-1-1.tga. Delete all of these.In your Fly! II directory, go to the data folder and find the folder with the same name as that global tile. With my example above, the folder would be D199152. Open that folder and check its contents - if you had no other items in that folder (scenery objects, etc.), just delete the whole folder - if you had other objects, delete all the data TS added to the folder, but leave your scenery files intact. TS also makes folders for the area surrounding that global tile, so you'll find folders nearby that have just one or two files in them with a GRN or similar suffix - these folders can be safely deleted also. To avoid problems with the data folder, I highly recommend renaming the regular data folder before rendering your new project and make a new empty data folder for TS to use - that way you to not end up with any damage to your regular scenery files or improper podding of other objects in your new scenery pod. When the rendering, slicing, and podding are finished, move the new data folder to a backup location or delete it and rename the regular data folder to make it operational again. You'll want to do this before testing your new pod, or you'll end up impeding Fly! II's performance.The pod and SCF file that TS generated will be in your Fly! II scenery folder in a folder with the same name as the image files. In my example, that folder would be Columbus-197-158. Delete that folder, along with the data folders contents that I mentioned, and all of the scenery from your first attempt will be removed.

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall,Thanks for the info. Originally I didn't notice the scenery information spread all over the place, but deleted all related files and came to the original textures.Will give the TerraScene a go later on.Cheers,Rene

Guest chezz

Randall,I remember that Todd Kalus has a TS tutorial I hope it's still in the library. I'm having the same problem when I TS SFO using USGS data what i did was to overlay the land tga file with water tga using photoshop (but the tile boundery is still visible).chrisrpll