Sign in to follow this  

A TerraScene Newbie Up Against A Rock!!

The recent Tampa file at AVSIM has finally gotten me off my duff and motivated me to install TerraScene 2.1 - but I can't get it to work at all! It was a clean install (i.e., no TS 2.0) and the install apparently was successful according to the messages I received. The install log shows all "successful" reports for all of the steps. However, when I double click on the program icon to run it, nothing happens - no welcome window asking for the location of fly!2, nothing!! I get the executing hourglass for about a second and then it goes away. What am I doing wrong? I have 11GB of free disk space remaining on the install drive (D) and 512 MB of RAM on a PIV 1.5 MHz machine which should at least be sufficient to run the program. Advice would be appreciated.Stan V.

Hi Stan,It sounds as though the appropriate Java Runtime Environment may not be installed on your system (TerraScene is a Java application, and Microsoft has not been including it in their recent OS installations). I would recommend downloading the latest Java Runtime from Sun - here's the download page: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/...1_01/index.html (Download the JRE version)After installing, reboot and give TS another try! :-)

Randall Rocke

Well, I'm ashamed to say, none in Fly!II yet - I've been so busy since Fly! II came out doing beta work or DB corrections that I had only rendered scenery during beta-testing for Todd. In Fly! 2K I rendered the exact center of Ohio by rendering all four 1/4 tiles that Columbus sits on and packaged it up just like a global tile (even though it was part of four global tiles). I combined it with other authors' scenery to give me everything from Cincy to Cleveland, though I never got to the Toledo area or the western and eastern border areas. I also did most of north central Illinois, which is where I did most of my flight training in days of yore.I figured most persons wouldn't be that interested in our area of the country, so I've concentrated mainly on making scenery for areas others would be interested in, such as the Carolinas, coastal regions, problem areas, etc.Thanks for reminding me though - outside of that little project you shared with me (I hope to be able to spend some time with it come Friday), my schedule is opening up a little. Why don't I let this little puppy churn away for a few nights and I'll make us Ohio and environs scenery?

Randall Rocke

Guest Bart

Kewl, lemme know when it's ready, I'll fly up and get ya and we can compare TS to real!! :)Pulling an 18+ hour shift tonight at work, 30 gremlins down, 15 to go!..took a breather at lunch and put the windows in, easier to fly VFR that way!

c ya :-waveBart flyhelp@zoomtown.comhttp://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/pics/ryans...ight/flight.gif http://bartsflyplace.tripod.com/bart_logo3.jpg

Very nice! The T-tail reminds me of a Rockwell model - can't recall the name now...

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall:I too am having the same problem that Stan had. Nothing happens when I try to activate the TerraScene Program. I have TerraScene2.1 loaded, I'm running Win2000 as my operating system, and I have a 150G HD, so I would think that I have plenty of unused space for TerraScene to use. I did as you suggested (thank y0u for the link) and dowenloaded the latest Java Runtime from Sun, (dowenloaded the JRE version), rebooted and gave TS another try. Same thing happened. Like Stan, I get the hourglass for a second or so, but nothing happens. Any Ideas? I'd love to be able to TerraScene the Tampa, Fl. and Denver Area.Any help would be apprieciated. Thank you in advance for any recommendations or solutions!!Curtis

Guest Colins2

Curtis,I would try re-installing TS2 now that you have the JRE installed.I had Win2k, briefly, and I seem to remember having to do something like that at the time.Colin

Thanks Colin. I heard from Stan and He also suggested a reinstall of TerraScene (Worked for him) afer installation of JAVA Runtime. I'll do as both of you suggested and report back.Thanks again,Curtis

Thank you Colin and Stan!!! A reinstall of TerraScene worked. All is OK.Curtis