Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Actually went Fly!ing for once! (2 pics)

Sometimes it seems I'm working on so many projects that I forget to fly, so I forced myself to get some "airtime" in. With the Screenshot forum down for the count right now, I thought I's share these shots here. I know Avsim needs to get some new servers going, so I'll keep it to two shots for now.This helped to remind me why I love this sim so much:

Randall Rocke

Nice shots!I should fly that plane more... I seem to always ignore it in favor of turboprops and piston twins.John/madmax

Guest ben_

RandallNice to see you having some RandR from all the hard work you put in for the Fly! community.Nice pics - I can almost feel my head starting to look up up with that second one :-)Ben

I know what you mean about getting in ruts with sim flying. Because of my schedule, much of my flying has been daytime with occasional IFR. I always use realwx. I had some free time yesterday and KBDL was at minimums, so did a flight from ACK to BDL in early evening. My skills were very rusty. Though I managed to land right on, there were moments where multitasking ATC, de-icing, and just flying the plane was getting a bit overwhelming, and this was with the Malibu. I knew I wasn't up to doing this with the Hawker :) I can understand why, if I was real world certified for IFR, that much under the hood time is needed on a regular basis just to keep the skill level where it should be.

Mike,Every once in a while I'll do nothing but Fly! for a week or I find my skills get shabby. I'll start out with the Cessna and run a couple of flights, then up to the Malibu, etc. until I've flown every default aircraft plus some of the others I'm just getting to know from ROTW, etc.I pick a point in a region of the world such as the U.S., Western Europe, etc., and fly its "circumference", switching off aircraft as I go. I get to see new places, new airports, experience new approaches, etc. and the planes become old friends again. As I circle the region, I make the circle tighter and tighter until I end up in the middle. I use real weather and fly IFR - I also use C4TO as my ATC and adapt accordingly for the type of approach.I kind of end up with more work when I do this though. As I make this series of flights, I keep track of all the navaids and approach components, etc. that are off, incomplete, or missing. I just finished a new circuit of the U.S. and have 32 new approach updates to do. :-)

Randall Rocke