Sign in to follow this  

The lonely pilot in Alaska(pics)

I've had some problems with Alaska. See attached pix..... Have I not done something right? I followed Don's instructions in the readme file. Pix are taken on approach to PADU.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest tonyc

I'll try Padu and let you know. My flights are just beautiful.tony

Guest pilotsim7828

Tony:Is that a new plane your hanging on to, Or just a beta tester. Nice scenery and beutiful pics. Jeff

Guest tonyc

that's the b1900 that's in the Avsim library. I simply touched up the paint. Yea, the new elevated Alaskan scenery is beautiful.tony

Guest chezz

I have the same texture/graphic problem.chrisrpll

David,Though I haven't found anything quite so dramatic (or awful), there are a number of elevation changes around Unalaska and elsewhere in the Aleutians that lead to some apparent geographic impossibilities, for instance the small island in the bay that appears to be half floating in air as you take off from Dutch Harbor. If you go into the editor and move your mouse over the area you will probably find some very steep and rapid changes in elevations. For instance the water around the small island in the bay goes quickly from zero to many many feet (don't remember the number) before ever getting to the island meaning that the water either extends up the side of a hill or creates a transparency that you can see through (if it's not in fact a tear). When I posted the Aleutians I didn't have a clue how to fix this but I think I do now but it would be very time consuming. Problem is I suspect the elevations are correct but the land textures are slightly misplaced in Fly!. If only there were a way to dip into the textures as laid out by Fly! and paint out some of the shoreline errors without having to create a whole tile to do it -- especially in areas like Alaska where the available landcover data (i.e., shapefiles) isn't very complete and the Fly! program is already doing such a nice job in texture selection.Anyway, I hope it doesn't all look like that for you. At some point I may try to adjust some of the elevations but some of this occurs even with the default elevations. Your screenshots do make a point, i.e., Fly! doesn't do cliffs very well but if you get a little higher they're not so bad -- can't land up there though.Don