Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

GFORCE 4 MX440 64DDR or GFORCE 4 MX420 64Sdram ?

Hi all,Well I'll buy GFORCE 4 MX440 next week , now I have Gforce 4 mx420 but this card not have reflections and the FPS are in 25 with the Medium settings and ATC at 33% , someone have the Gfroce 4 mx440 64DDR ? have reflection ? how many FPS are you getting ???Thank you!!

oh gawd. all i can say is DON'T BUY THE GEFORCE4 MX440!!! i have it right now and i am regretting that i bought it for $100. I wished that i got a GeForce2 Ti. It DOES NOT have reflections or multitexutring, FPS are VERY CHOPPY as i get to high def 2k2 airports. :( please don't fall into the trap i did in the naming. I fell for this piece of crap becuase i thoguht this card would be up-to-date.

Ok , I'll not buy the GF4 MX440 , here in uruguay this card it's a little expensive ( US$189 ) which card do ou recommend me ?Regards,Mauro

if you're on a budget of at least $100 (US dollars) i suggest the GeForce2 Ti is the best buy. If you can spend more definetly get the GeForce3-4 Ti series.

Stear clear of the MX cards, they are not really GeForce 4's. If you must keep the price down, drop down to a GeForce 3 Ti 200. Do not drop below that level, as you loose features, not just performance, and those lost features need to now be emulated in software (assuming they can be), which incurs an additional performance hit, making it even worse.GeForce 4 Ti 4600GeForce 4 Ti 4400GeForce 4 Ti 4200GeForce 3 Ti 500GeForce 3 (original)GeForce 3 Ti 200GeForce 2 UltraGeForce 4 MX 460 (missing features of GeForce 2 non-mx)GeForce 2 TiGeForce 4 MX 440 (missing features of GeForce 2 non-mx)GeForce 2 ProGeForce 4 MX 420 (missing features of GeForce 2 non-mx)GeForce 2 GTSGeForce 2 MX 400GeForce 2 MXGeForce 2 MX 200The MX cards are aimed specifically at office 2D applications and web crawling. They are not 3D effects performers.There are a million and one review of video cards out there on the web that will tell you this, but all the above information came directly from www.nVidia.com. Read before you spend ... or buy everything twice ... the choice is yours ...Ray

I don't believe any of the 4 MX's are getting reflections. You're almost better with the tried and true GeF-3/200, which can be had with rebates for less than $100, or the GeF-4/4400. I hope someone can prove me wrong vs the 4MX/Reflections... I know I get them on my GeF/2 Ti, and they look outstanding...As for fps, on the GeF 2/Ti, with a P3-800, I'm also yielding about 25 fps with the settings you described....JohnKPHX

Hi,In support of Ray's post, allow me to also recommend away from the MX line. But I'll take that a step farther: reading the AVSIM report on CFS3 only strengthens the decision to step no lower than a Ti4200 today. Not only is this a true GF4 part (unlike the MX line) but its the exact same chip as in the top of the line Ti4600. Yet this card runs in the $160 US range for a 64MB configuration like most Ti200's have. Even more, the Ti4200 outperforms even the previous high end Ti500's, let alone the lower end GF3 Ti200. For the price difference between a GF3 Ti200 and a GF4 Ti4200 both with 64MB, I wouldn't even think twice (around 30-60 dollars). For a simulation enthusiast the GF4 simply blows the GF3 out of the water when it comes to Anti-Aliasing support. And the future looks like it'll take full advantage of what the GF4 has to offer. That all Ti4200's also come in dual display configs and have much better DVD support is only icing on the cake.So, I highly recommend you look for a GF4 Ti4200 card. If you can afford the 128MB versions all the better, but even the 64MB versions will outperform and way outlast a GF3 Ti200 for a small increase in price. If you give $100 of your hard earned dollars away, it doesn't make sense to waste it - spend $160 instead and get yourself a much better card.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Guest PaulL01

Hi Elrond,I agree that if you have to have a card Now, then the GF4-TI42 is a great deal, one problem though, If you like to get a little better image quality than what the abysmal "best image quality" settings of the GF4's drivers will give and you switch on some anisotropic filtering (GF4 limitted to 32tap) then the GF4 fill rate goes down to less than 50% of a GF3! GULP! :-eekSo far Nvidia has somewhat solved this in OpenGL by way of the last few drivers but still no fix for D3D. :( Considering this then the $100 dollar GF3TI or even the $130 GF3TI200-128DDR are not such a bad deal as a stop gap until the "real" card comes out in the Fall.Paul