Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hagar

Fly! II & 2K ...It`s Alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest pilotsim7828

See For yourself

Guest pilotsim7828

And Breathing , Living in all of us!

I just picked up a copy of FLY II at Sam's Club. I have been wanting to get into the air with it for a while and was very pleased to see it on the shelf. $8.99 was a great deal. I am going to start reading the sticky threads on installing the new patch and such. Can anyone give me some advice or tips to getting started the right way?Is Fly 2K is older than FLY II? What are the differences between the two? I notice that the website for FLY is still up at http://fly.godgames.com/, Is this still active?I look forward to becoming a contributing vistor to this fine forum in the future.ThanksMark[/color]Old Bridge (3N6) New Jersey[/color] AOPA Member since 1999 #02624412[/color]Learn To Fly with AOPA Project Pilot!][/color][/font[/b

Guest pilotsim7828

Hi Mark; Welcome to the Fly! II community , A very close knit Family.Any help that you seek will be found here , With a GREAT bunch of people to help you out! First go to www.avsim.com..... Second go to the File Libaries Go to the bottom of the page , Where you see the drop down arrow... Then go to the Fly! II section under patches.... You must install1)update 2102)update 2303)update 240 In that order!!!!!!!!!!!!Or go to the thread First time fly questions in the forum Thanks for being hereJeff Akinsjaakins@charter.net

Mark,Congrats on getting Fly; it's a great program. Fly2 is newer than Fly2K and (IMHO) quite a bit better.One tip I have is that if you have a Geforce graphics card, installing nvmax (or some other equivalent program) can do wonders. For some reason, in Fly it is absolutely critical to use a texture filtering mode of 64-tap anisotropy. If you use the default (probably bilinear or nearest neighbor filtering) the ground is all blurry and fuzzy, but it gets quite crisp with 64-tap filtering (see screenshot below). It's hard for me to overstate how much difference this makes in how the world looks. There's probably some similar settings available for Radeon cards, but I don't know what those are.IMHO Fly2 is the best PC sim out there, but be prepared for some effort to get it really running well. You'll need to install patches and also you'll probably want to install some of the add-ons from avsim, such as Wayne Robert's wonderful airports and the HOTW "ground control" package. Also, later on you can get Terrascene and render your own sceneries that look like this :)John/madmax

Guest pilotsim7828

Quick Question John ? Dont you mean that Ground Control Is only meant for Fly 2K ????? Jeff Akins:-hmmm Or IS there a differance

Maybe you're right, and my memory is going :)John/madmax

Guest pilotsim7828

Well Maybe Not , I downloaded the file and put it in Fly! II And the above pics with the F-16 are the ones that have been installed with Ground Control. I just wondered if there is a differance in the pics with the defualt, And one diffreance with Ground control ? Below in the attachments are my system specs Let me know what you can find out with this Ground Control,?If it is compatiable with Fly ! II Thanks a million !Jeff Akins:-eek

Guest Hagar

John,Nvmax won`t install on my system, it says I need 20.xx or higher drivers, and I`m using 41.09...on WinXP. What driver are you using?

Guest pilotsim7828

Thanks Jak;Nice to see and talk with you again"How in the world do you get this to work" Remember me ?Jeff Akins:-lol

Andrew,The control panel says I'm using "6.13.10.2942" drivers, dated 5/3/2002.Not sure if that will help you any though :). This is for Win2K. It's usually worth poking around on the net to find the most recent drivers you can get. Mine are getting a bit long in the tooth, so maybe I should follow my own advice.John/madmax

Guest Hagar

John,Thanks! The 29.42 were not bad either. As I could see development for NvMax has stopped, so maybe I have to try an older driver, or if I am lucky, a newer one. Or another tweaking program. I`ll find out :)