Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

FPS drops in certain views/ aircraft

I know this has been addressed, I can't find the correct post. While flying, I get occasional fps drops -- from 20's to 5-6. Typically occurs while changing views -- i.e 25 fps in cockpit view, then 5 fps in right window view. Occuring more frequently lately, particularly with the Mustang. Any particular action I can take?? any help appreciated. Thanks. Greg.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Greg:Does this happen for 2 or 3 seconds and then it jumps back to the 20s or does it stay at 5-6?If

Alejandro -- thanks for the reply. The fps drop stays -- What's wierd is that, let's say, I'm 25 fps in cockpit. Then I look out right view -- drops to 5. Left view is 25, and scenery on both sides is the same (right side not more demanding). Occasionally, I might even get 5 fps in cockpit view when I switch back. Then this might jump back to 25 in cockpit, may or may not get to 25 in the right view. It seems (in laymans terms) that it gets "hung up" somehow. I have a PIII/1 gig system, Windows 98, GeForce II (128 meg), 528 RAM. This seems peculiar to the Mustang, which is driving me nuts as I have had a love affair with Mustangs for 30 years. Thanks again for your help. Greg.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Greg,Is it only on the right view? Is this at San Franchisco? Did you try a different airport?Do me a favor, take a screenshot (CTRL-TAB) of that view with the debug info (press the tab key until the debug info appears across the top). I want to see if you don't have enough slots allocated in your render.ini because I had the same problem in SFO but went away by tweaking the the 256 and 512 slots.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Alejandro -- I gotta go now, but I will be happoy to do this. Look for the post in the next 24 hours. Greg.

Alejandro -- here are the pics. I couldn't reproduce the problem with the Mustang tonite, but could with the Socata. FOrward view, fps ok. Right view fps poor. then forward view again, fps poor. the problem "spreads " to other views. thanks for any comments. Greg.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Greg,Sorry, I forgot to ask you to post the contents of your render.ini file. It's in your system folder.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Alejandro -- here's the render ini file. thanks. Greg.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Greg,I just got a 128Mb card so I haven't done a lot of tweaking yet but these settings are working fine for me.maxTextures32=15maxTextures64=16maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=72maxTextures128_565=999maxTextures256=60maxTextures256_565=210maxTextures512=12maxTextures512_565=4maxTextures1024=2Which airport are you flying out of? I'd like to replicate what you're doing.Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest tonyc

Check your agp aperture size. If it's too large, the video card will borrow memory from ram thereby lowering your fps. Try reducing your agp aperture (in BIOS) to 32 or less. If it's too little , you will get a vertex error when flying. there's definitely something acting on your video card. The only time I get single fps is when I have a dynamic plane that uses 1024 textures. tony

Alejandro -- Thanks. I typically fly either Meigs/Chicago or west coast, San Fran or LA and south. This happens in all places. I'll try your render ini numbers and see what happens. thanks much.Tony -- For some reason I cannot find the agp aperture size in BIOS --I've dealt with this before, so I know what you're talking about. But since installing a new motherboard last year (ASUS TUSL2-C) for the life of me I can't find it. thanks for your comments. Greg.

Guest tonyc

try an ASUS forum. Also look for a window in the bios where the number is 32 , 64 or 128. These are usually the default setting for most motherboards.tony

Alejandro,When you say that "these settings are working fine for me"what exactly do you mean? What kind of frame rates are you getting?When I fly out of South County Airport in Santa Clara County I typically go to an outside camera view, and on fly-by camera view I get about2-3 fps. I was hung yesterday and had to re-boot to get out of my stuckstate. There's no buildings at this particular airport, so it should besmooth as silk. I'm running in Mac OS 9.2.2 for speed reasons. As you can see by my signature, I have a pretty decent system on theMac side. Maybe I'll try your settings and see what happens.My vid card is a 128 MB card as well.Best regards,Jim(Oh, I've enclosed my render.ini as an attachment to this file...hope you don't mind...)PowerMac G4-933/60 GB/768 MB/SuperDrive/Mac OS 10.2.4; 9.2.2/GeForce 4 Ti/USB Ch Fighterstick,Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals