Sign in to follow this  
Guest dajackman

Need AP Help

Guest dajackman

Can any give me some help with the AP in the King Air. I can't seem to figure out the altitude interface. If I set it to a certain altitude it just keeps on climbing. Any help would be great!

The King Air AP may be old school, but it's one smooth machine.For AP altitude hold and VS (vertical speed) control, you have 3 instruments that work together.1. To set your VS (climbing or descending) use the orange-colored set knob on the Altimeter. Turn it to move the indicator bug (also orange) from -2,000 to +2,000 fpm. Note that I am set for a 2,000 fpm descent in this case.

2. Engage the VS control by pressing the VS button on the AP, followed by AP ENG (or simply press VS if the AP is already operational).

3. To capture a set altitude, rotate the set knob on the Altitude set window, then press the ALT SEL (Alitude Select) button on the AP to activate it. You can have both VS and ALT SEL engaged at the same time - the aircraft will climb or descend at your chosen rate, then level off and lock on your chosen altitude.

Randall Rocke

Guest tonyc

The autopilot has a "sel ALT", a "VS" and an "ALT" button. once you press the autopilot button, "a", press the "Sel alt" button and if the altitude window has a number higher than the altitude yuo're starting your climb on, the aircraft will keep on climbing until you reach that altitude. Use the "vs" button when you want to disregard the "alt" and "sel alt" button. Simply disconnect either of these buttons, press the "vs" and adjust the little yellow flag in the vs speed dial indicator.tony

Guest dajackman

Thanks guys, great info. I'll give it another try. I had problems last attempt. I think I'm ready to log some time in the Kind Air.