Sign in to follow this  

3 more large chunks of UK photo scenery from Paul Brook

Guest Paul Brooks

I have attached two pics of some scenery yhat I am working on at the moment.The first is taken from Fly at the edge of the tile where the two tiles meet.The second one is the jpg which was used to make the tile shownNotice that Fly does not show the white area where I have not yet placed the scenery.This is about 1400 pixels wide, and I think that this is the reason we have problems in making the tiles run seemlessly from one into another, and is also probably the reason that some tiles will either not show part of the tile or give the error message cannot find whatever.Paul

Guest Steve Brown

Many thanks Paul.Sadly I checked but I hadnt checked that box.I think Its my PC. Im running on 128 mg ram at the moment, and the rest is just enought to keep fly working. When my computer went the way of the doddo, Jeff kindly sent me some replacement parts for me, to get me going again. So at the moment Im not running the same PC I had a couple of months ago.I do hope to have a new one after my hols tho'Thanks for your help, Steve.http://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPGUnited Kingdom Sceneryhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2tms&Go=SearchRepaintshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2Air&Go=SearchOther fileshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...2Misc&Go=Search

Andrew,Thanks for the tips. I have experimented with the swap file size, setting as you suggested with 512MB/512MB, also higher values.Still have no luck with IrfanView. Keeps telling me "JPEG Decode Error! Can't allocate memory". The only program I have available that came close to opening the large JPEG was Microsoft Picture It!. Even at that it had to reduce the picture size by decresing the number of pixels. Finally getting to see the image though was encouraging. The detail looks awesome.I used the System Monitor in Windows to see what the swapfile size was doing. I could see it increase when using Picture It! but Irfanview does not seem to use the swapfile, the value never changed. I looked at various settings in Irfanview but nothing seems to give you any control over whether Irfanview uses a swapfile or not.It seems that other users have been succesful with a 512MB configuration but I am stumped.May have to increaase my ram to 1GB or more, but I have heard that Windows Me has issues with memory greater than 512MB. Oh well, the next step is to go to Windows XP.Thanks again.I will keep monitoring this thread to see if anyone comes up with a solution.

Guest Hagar

I was thinking "Photoshop" when I posted the swapfile stuff. It doesn`t seem IrfanView use the swapfile much, I just tried it myself.Have you tried another jpg with IrfanView? Regarding WinME I can`t help much as I skipped this OS. But I know WinXP has much better memory management.

Guest Hagar

Paul, I see a familiar ICAO code in your folder, ENZV. Here I got problems on the tile borders when trying to make two quarter tiles, but not because of the resolution. Here the problem must have been something with overlapping. When I rendered them together, the border disappeared. My problem right now is tearing on the borders when I import elevation data, thats why the ENBR scenery is postponed, I just don`t have time to edit the data manually. Sometimes I miss Fly!

Andrew,The largest JPEG I found so far on my system is 7MB and Irfanview was able to open it. Above post indicates Paul Brooks was able to convert the JPEG on a 512 MB system although I am unsure if he used Irfanview or Photoshop. I'm thinking only more RAM will help if using Irfanview.Thanks again.

Guest Hagar

Richdude, try IrfanView again with a large scenery jpg. Don`t open the picture in IrfanView, just choose "File/Batch Conversion", then "jpg" for Input and "tga" for Output. Navigate to your jpg file, mark it and press "Add", then press "start" and hopefully you`ll get there. If not, it is a WinME memory problem...

This failure of Irfanview to process the 70Meg jpegs is related to memory, but I can't get it to do what Paul can - and both of us have 512MegRAM.I can get it to process small jpegs, in fact this is what Paul and I were originally using it for (transferring the small web site source images into pre-trimmed 'blocks').However I had never tried such a large jpeg before.On the problem with 'Tees-side' being corrupted, I have re-checked my zip file opens OK and therefore uploaded it to Avsim again. I trust it will be used to replace the defective one. Give me another day to download it again (to check) and I'll tell you all when it's OK.Dave

Andrew,Tried doing just the "Batch Conversion/Rename" under Irfanview file menu, get the following error (same as posted above)."Converting: J:temptemp2BirminghamBirmingham.jpg""Error! Can't load: J:temptemp2BirminghamBirmingham.jpg""1 Errors, 0 Warnings"Oh well! Looks like WIN XP and more memory. (or Photoshop 5?).With all the quality downloads available for Fly!II it is more a matter of running out of time to enjoy them rather than running out of memory. Thanks for all your help.

I'm running WinXP Pro-so changing to that won't help getting Irfanview to batch process the big jpegs.