Sign in to follow this  
Guest jsippy

Want new Chicago night scenery?

After so many night flights out of ORD, I decided to make some new scenery that looks more like the real nighttime Chicago. Streets and roads there are brightly and evenly lit with sodium lights, which makes for a pretty bright city zone at night.My POD covers the area from north Chicagoland down to Gary Indiana, and west a bit past ORD. The download would be about 66mb of course!

Guest pilotsim7828

Hi Eric;Are you using NITELITE ?From Howintheworld and importing to Terrascene ?Enlighten us Please ! Jeff Akins:-eek

Dear Eric,Is it possible to send this beautiful TGA picture with those night lights for my email (keytonc@aol.com)? I'm not sure about how big is that screen but if you prefer you can convert to JPG file without loose too many detail.BTW if you get those night lights with any Fly!'s addon, please let me know. I'm developing several brazilian scenarios for Fly! II and those night lights are the best I ever seen! :-)Thank you,Keyton Cabral

Guest bwilson

Cool scenery ... I like!Blake

That's fabulous. Teach us how, show us how. I've TerraScened this area but didn't get near the beauty you got.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Gee, I didn't think anyone would care...I thought everybody else did all the good scenery! Pascal's method is the greatest. And I remember some English person here discovered how to use super-hi-res textures for tiles around airports...can anyone tell me that one?My Chicago technique couldn't be easier.I just rendered the area in Terrascene 2.1 as usual, except I made all the roads white in the night scenery. Didn't reset the "night cutoff" value or anything, didn't even know what that was at the time.After the render (don't slice...) you can edit the nighttime TGA in PhotoPaintShopSomething. Select all the white roads, then fill them with a pattern. I put some sodium-orange pixels on black, snipped out a little block, and filled with that. The only thing to figure out was the best pixel pattern to look good in cases of horizontal and vertical roads...don't want any solid orange lines!I might have made the lights too close together, but at 8m/pixel maybe it's okay. I just remember Chicago as having the most constant, dense, and bright streetlighting of any city I've seen, and quite orange.Sailing over most US towns at night at high altitude, they usually look yellowish and only well-lit in the centers. Los Angeles is like a petri dish of light-producing fungus. (There's a United shuttle from Orange County/SNA over to LAX, a neat 20 minute hop on the EMB-120 Brasilia...save 20 minutes in the car, for only $400...no wonder I don't work for UAL anymore!)Maybe I'll write a paragraph on Fly visual tuning...I used to work for Flight Safety International's simulator division, so I tried to get my Fly to look like the real sims do. I once came out of their proving dome at night after a long V-22 Osprey night test, looked around and thought "Gee, this is just like the simulator." Then quit! Ha ha!I'll upload the POD, it's smaller than the TGA would be.Anyway, here's the pattern I used, just crop it to a checker square:

I can't wait to try this in NYC.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I myself would like to do NYC (again) now. It'd be interesting to see how the buildings hide and reveal the lights. Might want to put the patriotic red-white-blue floodlighting on the Empire State too.And confess: is anybody else out there still using the WTC in his sim?

I still use WTC's.NOTE: The technique described above will do nothing for buildlings (these are "models"). The features of TerraScene and the technique for adding headlights/tailights works only on ground textures.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest jsippy

Very nice, Thanks for the scenery and the tutorial.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest Roy

Since I'm going for "as real as it gets" I removed them on 9/11Roy B. :-waveOslo, Norway

>Since I'm going for "as real as it gets" I removed them on >9/11 >>>Roy B. :-wave >Oslo, Norway Now just remember to stay six miles away from the city of Chicago, should you wish to view these new lights in a GA aircraft! By order of the "Mayor".. :)L.Adamson